Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I cant do it.

So aggravated today..Just had to share and vent i guess..I have been working on inverted hurricains for 2 months now. Sim and real life. And i just cant freaking do one. I get halfway thru and every single time i end up bailing out.
For whatever reason i dont think my brain will work this hurricain all the way thru. And thats that..

Anybody else here have a major problem doing one when you were learning this move ? I know it's almost impossible trying to explain how to pull this off with written words. Any certain mind set you have ? So i think im just going to throw in the towel on this one. And just keep with the basics when it comes to flying inverted and fingers crossed it just comes to me one day.

Its a move i enjoy watching in videos. . Props to those who can. I envy you !!
Dejavu*Xion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I feel ya buddy

I can do inverted forward hurricanes but not backwards.
I have been working on it for a couple months as well.

I know how....My brain just WON'T.....
McKrackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I can give a suggestion: Start slow, like REAL slow. Slow squares first, then slow circles. GRADUALLY pick up speed but never allow the speed to become so great you lose track of where the heli's going. Be strict, set your mind on a speed and don't allow it to pick up or slow down much from what you decided on. Slow does it.

Keep at it, it will come!
If it ain't flyin, it's a downer,
LN400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

LN400...I never thought of that..I will work on "squares" first, then slowly smooth it out and work a circle in. ( try anyways) ....Thanks for the good tip.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
And just keep with the basics when it comes to flying inverted and fingers crossed it just comes to me one day.
I don't know how you practice hurricanes on the sim, but I found that simply nailing slow controlled fig 8's in all orientations unlocked something for me. I always practice fig 8's both slow and controlled with little bank in them, as well as fast nearly banked at 90 degrees.

While learning hurricanes, I would do an inverted fig 8., then loop one side of the eight into a full circle on every other pass or so, then continue to the other side of the eight. Now I can go straight into them and correct as needed to fix its shape. Wind really messes them up on my 450, and I usually don't try gusty days.

I never tried the square thing, but others mention it a lot.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it if you got right side up down.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Drop the sim speed to 50-60%. That way, it takes reaction out of the picture. It gives you time to look at the machine, and think about which way you need to correct. That's how I learned different hurricanes.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

One thing fun to do until you can get all the way around a circle is a horse shoe pattern. Start on either side of you, fly out and make the end of the U and come back on your other side, turn around however you like and go back the other direction.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitbse View Post
Drop the sim speed to 50-60%. That way, it takes reaction out of the picture. It gives you time to look at the machine, and think about which way you need to correct. That's how I learned different hurricanes.

Another very good tip i did not even think of...Thanks for all the good advice folks. Im going back to square one...Only this time around fly squares at 50% on sim. From there hopefully it will click. May not be high on others list. But i have always found reverse hurricains mind blowing beautifull.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN400 View Post
If I can give a suggestion: Start slow, like REAL slow. Slow squares first, then slow circles. GRADUALLY pick up speed but never allow the speed to become so great you lose track of where the heli's going. Be strict, set your mind on a speed and don't allow it to pick up or slow down much from what you decided on. Slow does it.

Keep at it, it will come!
+1

I have problems with every move.

I have to split them into easy sections i learn step by step very slow.

Must be my beginning aging.
RogerRabit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found just doing piros the best learning tool for me. Started with slow upright piros just trying to correct the heli and keep it in one spot. Once I could do a reasonably fast upright or inverted piro and correct the heli subconciously circuits, loops, rolls, and hurricanes becamer eally easy.
youturnjason is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

2 months?? that's not very long. i've been working on em for 6 months and still can't get 'em. it's not that you "can't do them" - you're just impatient.
leaverus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitbse View Post
+1 for this. Works for me too. Just increase the speed as you get better
SMOKEMASTER60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

How comfortable are you doing circuits in the same orientation?
A hurricane is just a circuit at around double the speed and harder banking (and tail perfectly level with ground).
If you starting doing circuits and morphing into the hurricane at your own pace i guess you'll do it nice.
The good thing with circuits (or funnels/hurricanes) is that they are simple moves, don't take that long to learn and master.
Now to piro-flip on spot

Good luck
Old 06-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Silly question,
Can you do forward and backwards circles upright and inverted?
dankcincy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

is it a can't get the controls down thing? Or a visual thing where at a certain angle you can't see it good, panic and then bail out?

If it's a visual thing you just need to learn to trust your thumbs and trust that it's going where you are controlling it to go. I find I trust my thumbs more than my eyes these days.

If it's a control thing than... practice Daniel son!
MAAC #85462
Down Low is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just say to yourself,

"YES I CAN!"
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tried the same thing

That's pretty funny today I was bored on my iPad simulator (it's not a legit one but it helps me out a little) and I started trying to do hurricanes. I couldn't do it, so I want of YouTube and searched it and I saw a great video and said oh hey that looks pretty easy so I went back to my simulator to try to do it agian. FAIL. I went back and fourth from sim to YouTube and I was just like woh what the heck it's just not happening. Anyways your brain does work properly considering you are one of not that many people in the world the knows how to fly a 3D helicopter. Just keep practicing and you'll get it, btw work more on sim rather than outside so you don't crash as much... Anyone know how to create a thread? I have a few questions on the crappyness of lipos, thanks!
MiniCPflyer0110 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in