Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Lynx Heli Innovations

Lynx Heli Innovations Lynx Heli Innovations - Heli Upgrades - Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Lynx 300 DFC Build and Review

Lynx 300 DFC Build and Review
Upgrades to Air
By Chris Reibert

SPECS

MANUFACTURER / DISTRIBUTOR: Lynx Heli Innovations
FLYING WEIGHT: 18.0 oz. (510g)
LENGTH: 20.1 in. (510mm)
HEIGHT: 7.7 in. (195mm)
WIDTH: 3.0 in. (76mm)
ROTOR SPAN: 21.7 in. (550mm)
ROTOR DISK AREA: 372.9 sq. in.
TAIL ROTOR DIAMETER: 5.5 in. (140mm)
MAIN BLADES: Lynx 245mm
CONTROL SYSTEM: 120-degree eCCPM
RADIO: Futaba 14SG
SERVOS: MKS DS480's cyclic servos / MKS DS95i tail servo
GYRO: iKON flybarless controller
MOTOR: Scorpion HKII 2208-24
ESC: Castle talon 35
BATTERY: Pulse ultra 1350mAh 35C 3s Lipo
DURATION: 4-5 min
MINIMAL FLYING AREA: Small park

AUTHOR’S OPINION:

Helicopter upgrades can sometimes be misleading as they often look nice but do little for function and add unnecessary weight. In particular, helicopter tail components are important where small weight changescan make a huge difference to final flight performance. Lynx has spent countless hours optimizing their designs to achieve the required strength with a final weight beyond compromise. I have been using Lynx Heli Innovation parts on my helicopters for over four years now. Lynx is constantly staying on top of the market with making upgrades for the most popular and current brands of helicopters on the market. They even carry a wide variety of building accessories, electronics, canopies and more.

INTRODUCTION

The 300 class of R/C helicopters truly is one of my favorites. It's not too big, not too small, but perfect for small parks or backyard 3D flying. The first year the original Blade 300X was released I fully decked it out with every Lynx part that had been developed. The Lynxframe stiffener was a must if you wanted to fly hard 3D without frame flex or shearing the main shaft in half during flight. In the past year Lynx has perfected and released over a dozen new parts for the Blade 300X/CFX line of helicopters. This is where my Lynx 300 DFC build idea originated. I took every Lynx upgrade possible and built a complete 3D helicopter from Lynx parts.

DFC ULTRA HEAD COMBO / SWASH PLATE

Lynx Heli Innovations has redefined the standard 300X head assembly by introducing their DFC Direct Flight Control System. Special adjustable DFC rods form a more rigid connection between the swash plate and main grips.This combination of parts not only reduces parts count but gives flight control inputs to the FBL unit more accurately and quickly to the main blades, increasing flight precision and responsiveness to provide ultimate 3D performance.The DFC head features a light weight design with lower CG and is built super strong in the event of a crash. The Lynx swash plate made from 7075 aluminum alloy features a copolymer spherical swivel bearing assembly that allows the swash plate to pivot around the main shaft and the robust stainless steel linkage balls come fully assembled and ready to install and fly. The Lynx swash plate is 1.65g lighter than the standard plastic swash plateand is extremely strong.

ULTRA MAIN FRAME

Lynx Heli Innovations is always designing new ideas and solutions that really make a difference in the performance of the models. The ultra main frame upgrade will transform your 300X into a solid 3D machine that can handle even the moist rigorous maneuvers. The Lynx frame is 100% compatible with the 300X and all of its stock parts. The frame is light weight, ultra rigid and redesigned for best CG with increased battery capability (3 and 4 S 1300 to 1500mAh). The frame can handle a wide variety of servos, motors, ESCs and batteries. The advanced frame design has low parts count making for easy assembly and maintenance. A combination of high precision CNC aluminum parts and 3K carbon fiber plates make for a great mix of lightness and incredible rigidity.It went together very smooth and Lynx includes an instruction manual with step by step pictures and labels to help you through the build.

ONE WAY HUB ASSEMBLY / SLANT GEAR / STEEL PINION

A big improvement over the stock main gear is Lynx’s slant gear and one way hub. The one way sleeve is made of hardened carbon steel and fits precisely to support the main shaft where it is more fragile. The 300X has had issues with frame vibrations and premature main shaft failures. This high-tech and precise assembly will changethe feeling of the 300X by adding smoothness and vibration free rotation. Specifically designed for those who need serious power and performance. The LynxOWB is a direct replacement for the standard 300X main gear hub and will work with the standard or Lynx slant main gears.

The CNC 136T slant main gear not only silences down the transmission but gives the model 25% more tooth contact with the pinion for maximum efficiency and less vibrations to increase power. Lynx’s OEM hard steel slant pinions are made with high-tension carbon steel followed by thermal treatment to achieve the best mechanical wear resistance. I have put the slanted gear and pinion on all of my helicopters and really enjoy the sound and performance they produce.

ULTRA TAIL SYSTEM COMBO

The ultra tail system combination of upgrades will take your stock 300X tail to the next level of precision and flight performance. The ultra tail combo includes the ultra tail case, ultra tail shaft with CNC pulley, precision tail bell crank lever, ultra tail pitch slider and ultra tail rotor hub. The parts come preassembled with loctite and greased bearings ready for direct install. All the tail parts can be purchased separately but I highly recommend the full aluminum tail case combo upgrade. Lynx has redesigned the standard 300 X tail blade hub assembly by using aluminum alloy, steel and different bearing assembly. The tail grips are weighted with integrated CNC weights positioned very close to the tail shaft center in order to increase efficiency and reduce vibrations to promote tail servo longevity. The counter weights are sized to reduce the servo load during flight thus giving the helicopter faster tail response. The high precision CNClinkage rod with brass bushing is free friction and ensures smooth pitch travel operation. The tail pitch slider was completely redesigned to achieve the best performance and travel. The special o-ring is installed to optimize pitch travel and assure a soft stop of the slider protecting your tail servo from over binding on tail setup. The vertical fin has been re-designed by Lynx to give it a more streamline look. It is also designed to increase the tail rotor efficiency through even the hardest 3D maneuvers because of its smaller design which produces less drag and greater performance through and through. The Lynxfin is also a bit taller than stock fins to give your tail blades a bit more clearance and protection from ground impact.

PLASTIC 245mm MAIN BLADES / 47mm TAIL BLADES

Lynx have been producing high quality main blades for the 300X for a few years now. Their 245mm main blades have been designed from scratch to be the best main blade possible on this size helicopter. Lynx has optimized the weight and the rigidity of the plastic blades by using an exotic polymer blend of material. The blades featureincredible stability that guarantees constant blade shape with no warping even with extreme weather conditions. The result is a stiff blade giving the best helicopter performance under all flying conditions. When flying the Lynx 300X blades on your helicopter, you will immediately see the precision of the rotor disc and the resulting accuracy and agility during flight. These blades are extremely durable, are available in a variety of cool colors and hold up well in crashes. When using the Lynx 47mm tail blades you will immediately feel tail precision and vibration free flight. Lynx tail blades have higher efficiency compared standard blades so you may need to reduce your tail gyro gain to avoid over gain or tail wagging.

PROTOS STYLE AIR BRUSHED FIBERGLASS CANOPY

Step away from the standard Blade canopy design with Lynx’s high quality Protos style fiberglass airbrushed canopy. Lynx has released many new color schemes in the Protos style of canopy for everyone’s taste. Their intent was to make your 300X look different but also show up well in the sky. Special paint and their fiberglass cure process ensure the best looking canopy with superior shock resistance and weight. So many people ask me what I am flying because of its new unique look.

ULTRA LANDING GEAR SET

Lynx has redesigned the standard 300X plastic landing gear using carbon fiber and aluminum alloy parts. The Lynx landing gear set changes the entire profile and the landing gear angle of your 300. Not only do they have an aggressive look but also gives the helicopter a nose down angle of about 3 degrees increasing the tail rotor clearance. The skids are a direct replacement for the standard stock landing gear and come in numerous design schemes. The CNC and carbon fiber landing gear increase frame stiffness and rigidity which hold up well during hard landings.

TAIL BOOM CLAMP / HEAVY DUTY TAIL SERVO MOUNT / HEAVY DUTY TAIL BELT

Lynx has looked closely and found a number of areas for improvement on the 300X. One area that Lynx found needed improvement was the standard plastic tail boom clamp. The stock clamp can’t clamp the boom as neededtherefore vibrations or tail wag can occur over time.Lynx’s remedy was to design a clamp that once installed would lock the boom tight and give the helicopter a clean look by eliminating the horizontal fin. Lynx has also come up with an alternative to the weak plastic tail servo mounts by designing an aluminum set which hold the servo tight giving support and protection to the servo case. If you’re going through belts prematurely try the new heavy duty tail belt for the 300. Special belt materialswith Kevlar reinforcing fibers make it the smoothest running belt on the market.

IN THE AIR

With close to 100 flights on my Lynx 300 DFC parts build now I have to say it is one of my go to machines. I always bring it out to the field with me and I tend to gravitate to it more than any other helicopter in my fleet. It does help that I have seven batteries for it and that they are inexpensive to purchase.

My choices of electronics for the build are as follows.MKS DS480 for cyclic control, MKS DS95i for tail authority, iKON flybarless system for control, a Scorpion 2208-24 motor for power, Castle Creations Talon 35 for power distribution and a Pulse Ultra 3s 1350mAh 35c Lipo to power the entire system and everything is controlled by my Futaba 14SG with S6303 S-bus receiver.The Lynx 300 DFC flies very stable in both low and high headspeeds with zero bobble. Cyclic response was extremely crisp and responded well to all inputs. Having only 245mm blades you will have to have your collective management under control if you don’t want to bog the head. Don't let the small size fool you though. I was able to pull off maneuvers like walls, funnels, hurricanes, stationary flips, bunny hops, piro flips, and more. Some required more collective management than others but with practice you will see that this is a fun back yard 3D beater.

Flight times averaged between 4-5 minutes with the Scorpion HKII 2208-24 3600KV motor running a 14T motor pinion. The Lynx 300 DFC is my go out and fly worry free, maintenance free machine. I tried numerous size and brand packs and found the best batteries for my flying style were the Pulse Ultra 3s 1350mAh 35c packs. The Pulse packs come in at $10-$15 cheaper than stock E-flite batteries and have a higher C rating.

THE LAST WORD

Attention to detail and design combined with quality material, durability, precise CNC tolerances, fit, finish and lightweight parts will ensure the best possible performance upgrades for your 300X/CFX. If you’re looking for your 300X/CFX to have a bigger presence in the air Lynx makes a stretch kit for the 300. Whether you are looking to upgrade your helicopter’s performance or just want some cool looking parts, Lynx Heli Innovations has you covered.

Lynx where anything is possible.

Lynx parts used for build:

LX0829 - DFC Ultra Head Combo
LX0871 - Ultra Swashplate V2 Edition
LX0549 - Ultra Main Frame
LX0324 - One Way Hub Assembly Combo with CNC 136T Slant Main Gear
LX0661 - Pinion Slant Set X 3.50 mm Diam. Motor Shaft 12T-13T-14T - MOD 0.5 Steel
LX0996 - Ultra Tail System Combo
LX62451 -Plastic Main Blade 245 mm - Orange Neon
LX60471 - Plastic Tail Blade 47 mm - Orange Neon
LX0364 - Tail Boom Clamp
LX1052 - Ultra Tail Boom Carbon Fiber STD Length
LX1123 - Heavy Duty Tail Belt STD Length
LX0365 - Heavy Duty Tail Servo Mount
LX0329 - Heavy Duty Tail Boom Support Assembly
LX0899 - Ultra Tail Push Rod Set
LX0688 - Ultra Landing Gear - Profile 4
LX300X056 - Air Brushed - Fiber Glass Canopy - Protos Style - Schema #06

Videos:

[ame]http://youtu.be/XMhcEAeDFTU[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/x9-N4_Bh30E[/ame]
Chris Reibert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice work Chris. Very impressive build and report
heli smasher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

RichKnapp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wicked build Chris, bird looks fantastic,

Trex 250 DFC with Vx1n, Trex 500 DFC with Brain
Emax 250 with CC3d, X4, Dx8 and iCharger 3010b
Slobberdog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys I really enjoy it!
Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Even with the snow falling I've been able to throw in some Lynx 300 flights here and there.
She still flies like she is brand new.
I LOVE 300 class helis!!!

Here she is on my new Heli hauler

Flying my LYNX 300 DFC at the school yard (5 min 12 sec)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in