Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos

Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Compass Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
I just hope the motor is the beast they've promised. With so much invested (for my budget anyway...I sold two excellent flying FB birds to build the 7HV), I won't accept less than what I've seen on video and reports (except of course, for my flying skills ). Open dialog will also help Compass improve our machine, provided our criticism is constructive.
Are they replacing everyones motors or only the one that were bad from the beginning? To be honest I really enjoy the bird now but it's nowhere like the powerhouse the vids show them to be.

I went way over my budget on this build trying to get the better stuff. Still not convinced I made the right decision.
BakedMopar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedMopar View Post
Are they replacing everyones motors or only the one that were bad from the beginning? To be honest I really enjoy the bird now but it's nowhere like the powerhouse the vids show them to be.

I went way over my budget on this build trying to get the better stuff. Still not convinced I made the right decision.
I think it's already been pointed out that the team testers were using their own choice of motors. AFAIK The stock motor as now delivered was not flown by any of the team testers.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehof View Post
I think it's already been pointed out that the team testers were using their own choice of motors. AFAIK The stock motor as now delivered was not flown by any of the team testers.
I know most were using their own choice of motor but a few posts indicated they tested the prototype of whats in the kits. Oh well.........
Old 07-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

"I think it's already been pointed out that the team testers were using their own choice of motors"

This statement is incorrect, at least with regard to the three testers I was in contact with (from the beginning to the end of the testing). All used the motor supplied by Compass. I was not in touch with all of the testers.

Some tested different ESC's.

"AFAIK The stock motor as now delivered was not flown by any of the team testers."

I will need to follow up on this one-I think this may be correct. I know there was a change in the insulation within the motor (which is why some end users have reported insulation issues). I do believe there were other changes but do now know what they are.

Steve,

If things go well, I should have a 7HV at the HeliFreak Fun Fly at Palomar-you can try it for yourself then, my friend.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No need to follow up. Stock motor were used by all testers, but in the end Sebastian tested monster motors to test the drive line even further.

My prototype motor has plenty of power, but I would not expect to be able to hold constant rpms of 2300+ on it, however 2050 around there with stock gearing is piece of cake even in powerhungry maneuvers, I have not been able to bog mine, neither have my other team pilots. More guts then the 6hv motor on the 6hv would be my statement for the motor we tested which was the original motor. I fly mine at 2050 atm with 13 pitch goved, never flown it with curves.

If you have problems with the power of the motor and have not got the fixed one I would contact your supplier and explain your case.
myrseth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehof View Post
OK then, how come the swash guide (anti-rotation bracket) device on the 6HV has never been corrected. We still have to hog out a bunch of material with most servo brands to get a decent pitch range. Yes, they did fix the fragile landing gear on the 6HV but I think all they needed to do was change the material used. A new swash guide would require some retooling. I LOVE the way my 6HV flies and I am trying to decide between Compass and Align for my second big ship.

I just looked at Nankin's web site to verify that the swash guide hadn't been redesigned and I see they are out of side frames again. We now have ONE parts supplier in the USA. There were supposedly 3 when I bought my 6HV. You guys want to gloss over the poorly launched 7HV, that's fine. There was a significant lack of communication or co-ordination with logistics concerning the rushed 7HV launch. That situation and the declining dealer network make it seem to me like the company may be in a bit of financial trouble. Question is, do I want to draw more cards or just hold...
Rest assured it will be corrected, but we need to handle one thing at a time or chaos will break out. The 7HV been in the design line since this time last year, its been a time hog to get as awesome as it is.

You will see some welcome changes coming to several helicopters in the close future, I will not say what at this time as it will be announced when everything is ready. Do not think we will rest and let our models fade We will make sure we take feedback from both customers and team members, this we feed Sebastian and and Luke in one end and see what comes out But one thing at a time as the capacity of Sebastian is limited, and rest assured its going at 100%
Old 07-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am sorry for not being able to follow up on these posts, and no other been able either as its high season for us so if were not prepping for 3dmasters or funflies were out representing and flying.

Until 3DMasters is over you will probably not see much of Sebastian and for that sake Me Many is taking holidays too around now.

Edit: I will ask Sebastian to come over to helifreak after 3DMasters as it takes a lot to prepare for the event, but after he will be more available to give a few inputs on what is happening in camp compass at the moment.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Edit: Meh
Old 07-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl View Post
I may have misunderstood, but it was my understanding that the prototype motor was a 540kv. It was decided last minute (or accidental?) to make it a 570kv.
Mine is 575 kv always been only the lazer print is wrong it says 540

If they come down that hot and performs like shit, contact your supplier and get the new one. Its not supposed to be like that.

Mine comes down around 40C which is 104F BUT you need to ground the esc or you get some funky shit. The prototype motor is VERY strong so if yours perform like crap you really should get it replaced as there is something wrong with it. It should be a quick and painless procedure too, the shipping of the new motor has priority from the factory and you will have it quite quick.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crawl if you don't mind me asking what blades were being used? I am currently awaiting the replacements and hoping it takes away the bog. Right now on a simple flip I'm losing 200 rpm with the CC gov. My motor comes down after a 5 minute flight at 180*. Logs show only 80 amp peaks and 3000 watts. That's the kind of numbers my stock align 550 puts out and hold it headspeed within 50 rpm. I really hope that the blades makes all the difference.

On a side note which may not reflect "Compass" but all my screws and motor can already has rust. I know living in Hawaii has this affect (from humidity and salt in the air) but none of my other birds has gotten this way so quick.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Check here to see what it should be doing, numbers from eagle tree:
*Average Pack Volts: 44.59
*Pack Amps: Average 37.58 | Max 133.53
*Watts: Average 1666.23 | Max 6051.58
*Just under 4200mah was used out of the pack over a 6.6 minute period.

That is the log of the Compass prototype motor and the way it should be performing, if not it should be replaced.

But this is with 5.5mm heavy duty bullets and 10awg all round cabling.

I recomend against using the blades supplied with the first batch for aerobatic flying as they are soft and very heavy so you might be unlucky and get a boom strike.

Edit: for the screws I usually treat mine with sticky fingers and that works well for the norwegian humidity hehe, havent had problems with mine but salt will make rust, but a tad bearing oil on a qtip and you can treat them to keep em fresh

Also depending on hard you fly it might not be more then 80A peek in the flight, the flight measured from sebastian on the numbers above was hard.

Last edited by myrseth; 07-12-2011 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: link was not working, added key numbers
Old 07-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedMopar View Post
Crawl if you don't mind me asking what blades were being used? I am currently awaiting the replacements and hoping it takes away the bog. Right now on a simple flip I'm losing 200 rpm with the CC gov. My motor comes down after a 5 minute flight at 180*. Logs show only 80 amp peaks and 3000 watts. That's the kind of numbers my stock align 550 puts out and hold it headspeed within 50 rpm. I really hope that the blades makes all the difference.

On a side note which may not reflect "Compass" but all my screws and motor can already has rust. I know living in Hawaii has this affect (from humidity and salt in the air) but none of my other birds has gotten this way so quick.
I am using Edge 693mm FBL Blades. The stock blades were unbearable

My motor was coming down at 200F+ with absolutely no power. No short on either motor. I have seen one come down smoking and over 300F. 3 Different ESC's (PunchRC with and without Vbar gov, HW120hv with and without Vbar gov, Jive Governed), different setups, 2 different motors. The results were the same, the stock motor is garbage. I did nothing but swap in a 560kv Hyperion (Scorpion HK) and the results were night and day.

I am not going to out anyone, but I know of a few others finding the same thing.

I have been told Compass is working on it, Klaus's statements seem to be quite the opposite so who knows.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl View Post
I am using Edge 693mm FBL Blades. The stock blades were unbearable

My motor was coming down at 200F+ with absolutely no power. No short on either motor. I have seen one come down smoking and over 300F. 3 Different ESC's (PunchRC with and without Vbar gov, HW120hv with and without Vbar gov, Jive Governed), different setups, 2 different motors. The results were the same, the stock motor is garbage. I did nothing but swap in a 560kv Hyperion (Scorpion HK) and the results were night and day.

I am not going to out anyone, but I know of a few others finding the same thing.

I have been told Compass is working on it, Klaus's statements seem to be quite the opposite so who knows.
My only question is was that the original motor with the kit or the replacement made from the factory.

I am only quoting how my prototype motor performs and the measurements we did. As we speak we have a few kits in testing with fixes ready to see if its good enough for prime time. Motor should be fixed and all you have to do is ask for a replacement to get one, I assure you the one I tested is not garbage

Edit: Im running mine at 22.6 degrees timing and 12 khz pwm
Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrseth View Post
I am only quoting how my prototype motor performs and the measurements we did. As we speak we have a few kits in testing with fixes ready to see if its good enough for prime time. Motor should be fixed and all you have to do is ask for a replacement to get one, I assure you the one I tested is not garbage
Both were original kit motors.

I have the new motor internals, I just received them yesterday so I have not tried them yet.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I hope you will comment on how it works for reference!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrseth View Post
I hope you will comment on how it works for reference!
Of course!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you got the wiering and soldering needed and its not performing like the prototypes make sure I get note of it! (ps deans and 4mm plugs will just get things warm and sloppy so use the oversized stuff on it or it wont perform, when everything is right its a brute, its not like the 12hp motors but close)
Old 07-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sure you were just throwing that out in general, but I am using the stock 6mm bullets on the motor and EC5's on the batteries. Fairly certain it is not my soldering or wiring since 2 different stock motors performed the same, and the Scorpion performed like a powerhouse
Old 07-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Zajonz View Post
...5th point. The blade company send us wrong blades. ...
Thanks
Sebastian Zajonz
Will our dealers still get the 3D Compass blades intended for the 7HV?
Old 07-23-2011, 03:57 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Something that caught my attention today, my motor has end play in it ( I can push the motor down a mm or so when botled to the motor mount). I don't remember if it did or not. Can someone confirm this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in