Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2016, 01:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Who is running WifiBroadcast HD FPV (<$200)?

Take note that this post is NOT about a wifi link.

So today I flew FPV for the first time in my life, using 2 Raspberry Pi, 1 picamera v2 NoIR (stock lens with really TIGHT fov!) and a small HDMI monitor on the hood of my truck. It worked great! The video stream was 720p @ 60FPS and I had absolutely PERFECT video quality flying within a couple hundred feet radius. I will need a wide angle lens before it is really safe to fly this thing down low since it's very difficult to tell where you are with the tight FOV. I used 4x TL-WN722N wifi cards, 1 for the Tx and 3 for Rx diversity (supported automatically with the images at the end of my post). BTW, I hung all this gear including a 2500Mah 18650 to power the Pi off my 180 CFX. So while the Tx not micro size, it's definitely useable by more or less any decent helo you would fly outdoors. I'm using the stock 2.4 Spektrum receiver and a DX6i. I did not expect any control interference since the Spektrum gear with its frequency hopping coexists very well with wifi. No control issues were noted.

I'm surprised there's no thread on this project yet. This is a mature project that uses a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 to send video over a normal 2.4GHz wireless card reconfigured for packet injection so it broadcasts your video signal like an analog link. This means it fails gracefully, with the image degrading instead of disappearing, and it does not have to reassociate if contact is momentarily lost. Unlike wifi, the software will still use packets if the checksum doesn't match. The only downside of this is latency which is between in the 100ms+ range. You can read about it here, but I recommend you DO NOT download the images from this site, use the ones at the end of my post.

https://befinitiv.wordpress.com

WHAT DO I NEED TO BUY TO DO THIS?
Simple:
--2x Raspberry pi, version 2 or 3. either will work.
--2x micro SD card, 4gb minimum size, class 10 minimum or 3 if possible (3 is faster). The card speed doesn't matter that much though since once they're up it won't be used
--1x SD card reader w/ micro SD adaptor, or laptop that can read SD cards
--2x (or more for diversity which is heavily recommended) TL-WN722N USB wifi card
--Picamera v2 (better sensor than V1, buy noIR version to fly at night or if you like the way stuff looks without IR filter during the day like me)
--2x micro USB cable to power the Pi from USB outlet on ground and
--1x power bank to power Pi in the air
--1x TV or computer display with HDMI input, which you already have
--1x USB stick to record your flight on the ground (optional)

Easy to use images (recommend these over befi's: more stability, pi cam 2 / ras pi 3 supported, easy configuration, and also INCREASED Tx power from 10 to ~60mW)

Just use Google Translate. You will need to write the image you download to 2 SD cards. The Raspberry Pi with the camera attached will automatically be setup as Tx, the one with no cam will auto Rx.
http://fpv-community.de/showthread.p...ig-und-einfach
flat tire is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in