Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > For Sale Forums – KNOW your buyer/seller ratings! No Price bashing. NO FIREARMS > Stolen, Ripoffs and Scammer alerts

Stolen, Ripoffs and Scammer alerts Post your theft, scammed, ripped off reports here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What is an acceptable payment interval?

Hi everyone!

I wanted to pick the communal brain on an issue. On Monday, I listed some items for sale, and received a PM from a member saying he would take one set of items and asking for my PayPal address.

I sent the address within 20 minutes of him sending the PM (both PMs were sent between 9:54 and 10:12 Monday morning), and he was last active on the forum quite a few hours later that same day. I have heard nothing more from him, nor has he sent funds.

What is the customary interval to wait for payment before considering this a non-paying buyer and re-opening the listing? I don't want to be accused of hosing this buyer, but by the same token I don't want to wait forever for him to make good on his acceptance of the deal.

Thoughts?
TORCHS member, AMA 64878, Citizen 690
Mattinfla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

24 hours and on to the next sucker!
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea. I agree with 24 hours. I almost was the first reply and was going to type just that.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

i would pm him and find out if he actually sent it or is planning to send it
it happened to me twice, when i sent the paypal funds to the wrong Email
missed it by one letter, and it was unclaimed, until the seller contacted
me and asked if I was still sending funds. so I had to cancel the first
and resend.
and then again he should at least be cordial and let you know if he is still
interested.
apprentice. t-28 Hitec weekender 1 slow flyer
onemorecrash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattinfla View Post
Hi everyone!

I wanted to pick the communal brain on an issue. On Monday, I listed some items for sale, and received a PM from a member saying he would take one set of items and asking for my PayPal address.

I sent the address within 20 minutes of him sending the PM (both PMs were sent between 9:54 and 10:12 Monday morning), and he was last active on the forum quite a few hours later that same day. I have heard nothing more from him, nor has he sent funds.

What is the customary interval to wait for payment before considering this a non-paying buyer and re-opening the listing? I don't want to be accused of hosing this buyer, but by the same token I don't want to wait forever for him to make good on his acceptance of the deal.

Thoughts?
Put very clear communications in your ads that you expect payment with "X" amount of time after deal is made or the item immediately goes to next in line or back up for sale without further notice.

The last time I posted things for sale I got a half dozen guys who immediately said "I'll take it!" for various items, and were never heard from again. They never responded to repeated PMs asking what was up despite being active of the forums during that time.

The other is the guy who says hell take it, then wants you to wait until he gets paid a week later when you send him your PP info, then disappears forever if you fall for the sob story. Its maddening and I would rather throw the stuff out than to deal with the hassle for the small sum you get for it anyway.

They just waste your time and don't even have the courtesy to just tell you they changed their mind. If you are on the internet and have time to shop and buy, then you have time to pay!

You have to spell every little detail and expectation out in your ads these days it seems. 24hrs is more than reasonable time in your case, especially since he has been active on the forum and internet during that time.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey xrayted. If you have someone ask to hold it for a week. Make them pay a deposit and then have them pay the rest in a week. If they fail to pay when promised, they lose the deposit. I've done this in the past with other sellers and it really works out. Sometimes paydays and deals fall out of sync.
mattbeau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Op I think 24 hours is reasonable if you don't hear from them after 24 hours move on
Old 08-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbeau View Post
Hey xrayted. If you have someone ask to hold it for a week. Make them pay a deposit and then have them pay the rest in a week. If they fail to pay when promised, they lose the deposit. I've done this in the past with other sellers and it really works out. Sometimes paydays and deals fall out of sync.
Yeah, I will in the future or better yet say sorry and move on. Anyone who says "I'll take it" knowing good and well they don't have the funds to pay for it is already trouble to begin with and not worth my time.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

24 hours is fair. I would send a message tomorrow morning saying you didn't receive his payment, so the item is still available to the first person with payment.

Personally I won't hold items for a week till someone gets paid. I'm not going to pass on a sale because I was waiting for you to get funds.
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ..

I would put "sale pending" until the next day,PM him and say if I don't receive funds by end of business tomorrow it's back up for sale, nothing personal.

Last edited by mingledorffw; 08-27-2015 at 06:22 PM..
mingledorffw is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Xrayted that's fine too. I ask if it's ok to do that of course and if not that's fine I understand. But yeah people saying I'll take it and then nothing are lame
Old 08-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Usually overnight for me, then on to the next one. I send a couple PMs though reminding them and setting an ending time.

I rarely go back on it when I say I want something, but when I do, I communicate. This helps things go a lot smoother and keeps a seller from waiting. Sometimes the wife nixes a purchase I want to make
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with 24 hours, but communication is key. I was very recently on the other end of this. I said I'll take an item and requested paypal info. The response from the seller took a few minutes, and by the time I received the info, it was time to go to work. I pm'ed the seller I would send payment as soon as I got home from work. As soon as I got home from work, I paypalled the funds and pm'ed the seller. 2 days later I pm'ed the seller asking for tracking info and was informed that he had sold the item to another buyer, but he would refund my money if I wanted him to. Really? Anyway, give at least 24 hours and communicate.
Tphill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tphill View Post
I agree with 24 hours, but communication is key. I was very recently on the other end of this. I said I'll take an item and requested paypal info. The response from the seller took a few minutes, and by the time I received the info, it was time to go to work. I pm'ed the seller I would send payment as soon as I got home from work. As soon as I got home from work, I paypalled the funds and pm'ed the seller. 2 days later I pm'ed the seller asking for tracking info and was informed that he had sold the item to another buyer, but he would refund my money if I wanted him to. Really? Anyway, give at least 24 hours and communicate.
That response regarding your money would be hilarious if it weren't for the fact that he had to be a serious moron to think like this. Did he really think it was his unless you specifically told him to give it back, and how were you even supposed to know since he hadn't told you what was going on after two days?

Nah, just keep it. What is wrong with people
Old 08-28-2015, 05:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

He really said that?
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes he did. And it was the next day before he refunded it.
Tphill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

......the cognitive dissonance sometimes is astounding
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in