Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I dont think so. I havent tested it with a separate gyro but I thought i read you could use a separate gyro. I will test this this morning.

Check out page 14 of the user manual...like i said could do with a good rewrite IMHO

nightflyr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

doz the kds work with multi blade heads?
thatsme59 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsme59 View Post
doz the kds work with multi blade heads?
you mean as a Flybarless system??? I have no Idea, there is no mention of FBL in the manual

Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
I think its important to keep in mind that the CP2 and Flymentor in some ways have different purposes.

If scale is your thing or you want a safety net if you loose orentation, or perhaps you want to uses the model indoors, The Mentor I think is the go. Thats not to say you cant do 3D with the mentor on. Keep in mind you must own a laptop to setup and program the Mentor.

If you fly pod and boom and see the main purpose of flight stabilization is to get you out of trouble, I like the CP2 mainly because it will always flip you to upright (unless you are specifically using the 3D mode) if you muckup your aeros. The Mentor would recover you to either upright or inverted depending on your position and personally, if the model recovered to inverted after and emergency bailout, I would still be in a panic.

Other things to consider:

Mentor is not weather dependent, CP2 can be. (However its usually weather your wouldnt bother flying in anyway)
Mentor has a built in tail gyro (medium quality only)
Mentor has Position mode and as such greatly reduces drift especially when learning to hover

CP2 is also designed for fixed also and as such has various fixed wing modes.
CP2 has a sensor that tells the system if it is inverted or the right way up.
CP2 has a handheld IR programmer

Both are great stability aids and make general flying much more relaxed giving you the oportunity to practice manouvers you may have thought about twice previously.

I like them both.

My CP2 lives on my 3D pod and boom.
My Mentor lives on my FPV heli at the moment.
Thanks for the insight Kepler.

I'm looking for something to help me progress my skills (currently hoving, some ff, just starting to do figure 8's). I really have very little interest in doing 3D, right now I'm just interested in sport flying, but I could see myself going the scale route one day.

How does the gyro functionality of the mentor compare to a GY-401? Does it work well with Digital servos?

Thanks in advance!
06graphite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sounds like the Flymentor will suit your requirements. In relation to the tail gyro, its no 401 but its fine for scale and sports flying.
Kepler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
I dont think so. I havent tested it with a separate gyro but I thought i read you could use a separate gyro. I will test this this morning.

Check out page 14 of the user manual...like i said could do with a good rewrite IMHO
I think its just poorly written. The must "Must connected" comment I am sure is presuming you dont have a separate gyro. I plugged in a separate gyro and left the grey and blue pins unpugged. All worked fine on the bench. Havent test flown like this but I am sure it will work fine with a separate gyro.

On page 12 of the manual, it says "If you are using the built-in gyro of the Flymentor 3D, all mixers related to rudder must be turned off". IF being the operative word.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:57 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
I think its just poorly written. The must "Must connected" comment I am sure is presuming you dont have a separate gyro. I plugged in a separate gyro and left the grey and blue pins unpugged. All worked fine on the bench. Havent test flown like this but I am sure it will work fine with a separate gyro.

On page 12 of the manual, it says "If you are using the built-in gyro of the Flymentor 3D, all mixers related to rudder must be turned off". IF being the operative word.
Well by all I've read on it ..it appears to follow the functional setup same as Helicommand. though the explanation for no mix from the radio seems to be directed at a none 2.4 Ghz system, they make no mention to use H-1 swash type as HC does to eliminate mixing from the radio

Old 08-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am tempted to order one of these now that it is available in the US...now I am unsure if I should take the risk on this or go with a used Helicommand for my AP ship. The fact that it is a brand new product worries me since I have a lot of money riding on my AP heli, maybe it would be better to go with the proven reliability of the Helicommand instead of risking my set up on an unproven device...from the review posted on here it sounds like it will work perfectly for my AP heli (smooth out the flight and act as a safetly net if I were to ever lose orientation for whatever reason) but I'm just worried about having one fail on me. Anyone want to help me decide?
O yeah I should mention I will be using a DX7 system which apparently the Flymentor has had problems connecting with...that fact alone makes me wonder if I can trust the reliability of this system...
Dan_555 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_555 View Post
I am tempted to order one of these now that it is available in the US...now I am unsure if I should take the risk on this or go with a used Helicommand for my AP ship. The fact that it is a brand new product worries me since I have a lot of money riding on my AP heli, maybe it would be better to go with the proven reliability of the Helicommand instead of risking my set up on an unproven device...from the review posted on here it sounds like it will work perfectly for my AP heli (smooth out the flight and act as a safetly net if I were to ever lose orientation for whatever reason) but I'm just worried about having one fail on me. Anyone want to help me decide?
O yeah I should mention I will be using a DX7 system which apparently the Flymentor has had problems connecting with...that fact alone makes me wonder if I can trust the reliability of this system...
Look at it this way..you looking to purchase a used Helicommand( which you really have no idea what condition it is in) or a new product hitting the market that if there is a problem could be returned to the MFG for repair or replacement...(heli not withstanding) either unit could fail for what ever reason. so yes you do have a tough choice to make.

But I did purchase the first run of the FMADirect's CPII system and have had no issues on that unit even though it was fresh out on the market

Old 08-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
Well by all I've read on it ..it appears to follow the functional setup same as Helicommand. though the explanation for no mix from the radio seems to be directed at a none 2.4 Ghz system, they make no mention to use H-1 swash type as HC does to eliminate mixing from the radio
Poor translation again I think. Its a single servo swash setup for any type of radio you are using.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It is a difficult decision. I can’t vouch for its long term reliability, I can only report on my experience to date. Except for the connection issue, its operation has been very solid. My 2.4 gig receiver has never logged a lock out in flight with the device and I am now transplanting the Mentor from my hack 450 clone to a rather expensive Rave 3D with all the good gear including a separate Mini G gyro.

For about a third of the price of the Helicommand, it not a big financial risk. Helicopter wise, chuck it in something cheap first, build up you confidence in its reliability, then transplant it to you AP heli. This way you will know exactly how to tune it before you risk it in the good stuff.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
im with u on this one i have dx7 as well. the price is right thought bsides just got hc rigid.i think i will wait 3/6 moths till it sorted out price mit drop 2
thatsme59 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It is a difficult decision. I can’t vouch for its long term reliability, I can only report on my experience to date. Except for the connection issue, its operation has been very solid. My 2.4 gig receiver has never logged a lock out in flight with the device and I am now transplanting the Mentor from my hack 450 clone to a rather expensive Rave 3D with all the good gear including a separate Mini G gyro.

For about a third of the price of the Helicommand, it not a big financial risk. Helicopter wise, chuck it in something cheap first, build up you confidence in its reliability, then transplant it to you AP heli. This way you will know exactly how to tune it before you risk it in the good stuff.
thanks for your input Kepler! I guess my only fear is some type of radio glitch or sensor failure causing the demise of my AP ship with many thousands invested in it. Probably not a rational fear but I have a hard time trusting basically a cheap Chinese clone of the Helicommand...especially when it has just been released and therefore has no one to vouch for its long term reliability. Chances are its a great product and the risk of going with a used Helicommand invloves the same risk...needless to say I have yet to make up my mind Either option is safer than trying to fly the heli at a distance without any stabiliazation system I suppose...
Old 08-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fully understand your reservation Dan. Not sure if you own a 450 of any sort but if you dont, just get a HK450 from Hobby City for $35.00, HTX900 servos for $3.60 ea, a Turnigy 30amp esc for $18.00, MKS DS480 Digital Servo for the tail at $23.00. Add your reciever and for under $100.00 landed, you have the perfect test platform for the FlyMentor.

This is best value for money 450 setup around. The combo works very well and is fully 3D capable. This will give you confidence in the product, help your orentation practice by flying a small model at distance, and give you another model thrown into the bargain.

Other advantage is you will have the setup of Mentor down pat before it goes into the AP ship. Even if you go down the Helicommand path, I think the cheap test bed heli is a good idea.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Couple of minor issues to report on the Mentor.

The pc interface creates a virtual serial port and your pc automatically asigns a port number to the device. If your PC happens to asign a port greater then 3 to the interface, you may not be able to connect. My Laptop asigned port 11 and as such would not connect. I needed to get into Device manager on my laptop and asign port 2 to the interface. This allowed me to connect without issue once this was done.

Other issue I had was that the two signal wires for gyro sensitivity and stabilization sensitivity are color coded the wrong way around on my unit. Once I swapped these, all worked perfectly.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

I actually have been flying an HK 450 for awhile now, unfortunately it is out of service for a few more days due to a crash caused by servo failure (replacement main gear, blade grips, and servos are on the way). It has been a great learning heli...I am now comfortable doing basic aerobatics and I feel I learned everything much faster because I was able to push my limits without fear of expensive repairs...surprisingly the crash caused by servo failure was my first crash with it. You have convinced me, I think I will get the Flymentor and test it out for awhile in the HK 450 before trusting it to my AP ship.
Thanks!
Dan
Old 08-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good to hear you have the HK450 already. You might like the mentor in the HK so much, you want to leave it their. even under windy conditions the mentor make a small 450 size machine very compfortable to fly.

I have flown for 30 years and very much an old school flier (like to fly big and smooth) My problem is that age is catching up on me and it can be difficult to pickup what the model is doing at distance. All my models are now getting these stabilization systems now and although they are switched off for most of the time, I am really enjoying my flying much more knowing that a flick of a switch will save a crash due to loss of orentation.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Kepler..PM sent

Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tested the Mentor with a separate gyro today. Gyro was a Curtis Youngblood miniG in a Rave 3D. All worked perfectly. Nice to have good tight tail again.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:34 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

G'day guys,
I have just ordered my Mentor and I also have the HK450 (awsome little heli for the price!) But this will be going straight on my Trex 600 AP ship with ASKMAN AP mount. This is a very cheap alternative considering the tail Gyro is incorperated with the unit! So your really only paying $100 or so more than a std gyro. Can't wait to get all the bits together and give it a go!

Paul.
Pdbakos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in