Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 12:51 AM   #41 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I am thinking that copterdoctor has the right line of thinking when it comes to scale helicopters and weight. My TOW Defender is my heaviest helicopter and it flies solid as a rock and certainly has the mass for the rotor disk it has to pull off a respectable auto as long as I have my nerves about me. Recently I have had two autos that have resulted in damage but not a loss. There were many that witnessed both of these recent events and I can tell you that the heavier helicopter made out like a bandit. The auto with my lightest scale helicopter, the CH-139, was witnessed by quite a few people and the damage to it was worse with it than the TOW Defender. There was no hidden damage to the TOW Defender but there was a lot of hidden damage to the CH-139, go figure, and yet both were back up in the air on the same day of their autos. It's hard to describe it but it's something like the visual feedback that you get from the heavier helicopter in the air to your control movements, gives you a better feeling for how the landing is going to turn out. I had one of those moments in Dalton where I put the TD up in the air with an uncharged pack and I fought it dropping out of the air all the way to a successful landing. The only way to describe it was that I could anticipate what it was going to do at any given moment in the mayhem that it was going on in the air. The heavier helicopters just feel more solid when you fly them. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2015, 04:05 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyawayed View Post
no I have a second V1 MC 407 I'm thinking of building a set of goblin mechanics and making it a dog house setup
Just check on the width of the doghouse. There are not too many fuselages around (especially 700 size) that have a wide enough doghouse to take a Goblin mechanics because they are pretty wide across the servos, and it is lopsided with one side wider than the other.

Joe has a dimensioned photo on his East Coast Vario site.

I use them in my Baumann EC-145, but it is probably a bigger heli (4x 820mm blades) with a particularly wide doghouse.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't done anything during the holiday break except start putting rivets on my MC 407.

But as for the Roban 407, I have a new set of legs coming in the mail. Mike Spinner (JestRR) built me a set of scale high skids for it. I will post pics when I get them. He does real nice work so I'm looking forward to trying them on
Old 01-19-2016, 06:13 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My new landing gear from Mike Spinner arrived and I installed it to see how it looks. Mike has always done really nice work and I have purchased several sets of LG from him.
to see the difference, here is the Roban kit LG;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R407 LG 6.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	630850  
Old 01-19-2016, 06:16 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

and here is the Northwest Scaleworks LG;
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	R407 LG 1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	630852   Click image for larger version

Name:	R407 LG 2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	630853   Click image for larger version

Name:	R407 LG 3.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	630854   Click image for larger version

Name:	R407 LG 4.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	630855   Click image for larger version

Name:	R407 LG 5.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	630856  

Name:	R407 LG 7.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	630857  
Old 01-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

I met up with my friend and mentor Emile (copterdoctor) yesterday and we went over the changes that need to be made to this fuselage.
The most obvious is changing the door hinges and door handles.
I will install Vario scale door hinges and remove the door handles which look terrible on there in my opinion and are completely non-scale.
The nose is missing the vents, the pitot tube is located in the wrong spot and those fuel vents on the left (port) side which are visible in the pics need to be removed also. After that the corrections list gets much shorter and less necessary but they are things that will be very noticeable once done.
In spite of all the corrections I will be making, things that folks who are not scale fanatics may not notice, I really like the Roban 407 and it will not be my last Roban kit for sure. I also have the Roban 429. I will update as I go along with comparison pics to really show the difference the changes will make.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in