Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail control rod (anyone notice this)

Finished my 550 FBL V2 a few weeks ago. The strap or holder that goes around the boom that you glue the metal tube control rod glide into seems to push my control rod down. If I take it off it sits much straighter. Anyone have this issue on theirs AND will it cause a problem for me? Tail seems to work ok im just thinking in terms of binding or actually popping the ball links off in flight. Wondering if wrong one was put into kit. Thanks
faceman425 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have u fixed the guide on a slight angle or pointing straight down?
The metal tube glues to the control rod not the guide.
JustinS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I did wonder too about this, the pushrod when detached from the servo end does spring a little away from the ball link, my guide on the boom is at a slight angle for a median line to the tail. The metal sleeve is glued to the pushrod central to the boom guide, the angle servo to tail control arm is slightly out but not worried myself.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzTDR + II
Alun
CyprusFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are not alone. A buddy of mine pointed this out a while back. He uses Quick UK Tail Push Rod Kit. Here's the link to the black one.
http://www.readyheli.com/TX55T24-BK-...k_p_37843.html ReadyHeli used to sell just the clamp with push rod quide but I can't find the link.

Even though the stock one did not give me any issue, I swapped it with Quick UK kit.

Another buddy flies it without the guide for years without any issue.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know my 450 i use a solid cf rod with no guides and no problem.
Now im building my 550 just got the ar7200bx and going to be setting it up soon
i will think twice about the guide..
But this rod is much longer, mabey others can chime in Guide or no Guide
Old 02-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I glued my metal piece to the rod guide. I didn't think it would go through the guide once it was tightened up to the boom. Irregardless its still pushing down a bit. thought of modiflying if with my dremal to release some of the downward pressure. Trying to keep tail slider as slippey as possible and this is the last link in the chain.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceman425 View Post
I glued my metal piece to the rod guide. I didn't think it would go through the guide once it was tightened up to the boom. Irregardless its still pushing down a bit. thought of modiflying if with my dremal to release some of the downward pressure. Trying to keep tail slider as slippey as possible and this is the last link in the chain.
My guide was also bowing the pushrod. I tried repositioning the guide every way I could try, but still ended up with about 1/4 to 3/8" gap between the ball link and the ball on the tail rotor when disconnected at the tail end. I didn't like the idea of pressure being applied to the ball link that pushed it away from the ball. While new the link holds it well, but my concern was over time as the ball and link wear that it would it pop one day.

To correct it I elongated the guides pushrod hole until the rod could make the trip to the tail without bowing when connected. I filled the area of the elongation with a balsa shim, then ca'd it and the metal guide tube to the guide. The only thing I might do differently would be to glue the guide tube to the pushrod instead of to the guide itself.
gehrbox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

gehrbox

That is exactly what im gonna do with mine. That was my concern too that over time the pressure would pop the link off in flight. Wasn't sure if this part was off a 600 or 700 and was the wrong one for the 550.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are we talking about the carbon fibre tail control rod? (I'm assuming we are) If so, the metal sleeve gets glued onto the control rod itself, and not the guide that attaches to the tail boom. The sleeve is meant to protect the carbon fibre from fraying and wearing from moving through the guide, and possibly breaking in flight.
AMA #959523
"Helicopters don't fly... they just beat the air into submission."
Kennyyoli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
gehrbox

That is exactly what im gonna do with mine. That was my concern too that over time the pressure would pop the link off in flight. Wasn't sure if this part was off a 600 or 700 and was the wrong one for the 550.
I had the same thought. I figured it was from a 700. Anyway I just altered mine so that the metal sleeve is now glued to the pushrod instead of the guide per the recommendation of Kenny.
gehrbox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The worst but for me was the glide being off line on the boom,
I glued the metal tube to the CF rod but didn't like the way the glide would move on the boom and if you tightened up the glide it would bind so I made a metal tube longer than the align one by 50 mm to go on the glide and be tightened up,
that way the CF rod with the align metal tube runs in side my tube, a dab of grease and it works a treat, it's now smoother and stays in line on the boom,
bike mad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanasi View Post
I know my 450 i use a solid cf rod with no guides and no problem.
Now im building my 550 just got the ar7200bx and going to be setting it up soon
i will think twice about the guide..
But this rod is much longer, mabey others can chime in Guide or no Guide
I've been running a CF tail pushrod with no guides for almost 300 flights and no issues.
T-Rex 550E V1 Classic Flybar: 600MX/BL70G, AR6200, DS610 x 3, Quark/DS650, 16t/520mm blades.
Wolfpackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 04:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 CF control rod & no guides.
markleyland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

+2 cf no guides , i tried it after after getting an idea that is could help unrestricted movement of the rod less load on the servo , it works
Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by markleyland View Post
+1 CF control rod & no guides.
Cheers Mate.
T-Rex 550E V1 Classic Flybar: 600MX/BL70G, AR6200, DS610 x 3, Quark/DS650, 16t/520mm blades.
Wolfpackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The links are pretty tight on the servo and tail linkage. I think it should be ok. Any one else running their 550 without the guide?
LL-Cool-T is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ended up taking mine apart and cleaning everything up. Glued the metal tube to the CF control rod and then reamed out the guide till the rod had no down pressure on it. Seems to be pretty smooth now. Still don't know why they just didn't make it fit right in the first place. I kinda feel better having the guide in place. Guess it really doesn't matter cause if it popped off at the servo or the tail in flight you would be doomed either way.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just finished my new and first AR7200BX setup and i decided to leave off the guide.
Its on tight ! + no problem on my 450 + as previous poster said if it comes off well its doomed with guide or no guide lol
My goal is to maiden it next weekend woooohooo !
Old 02-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ended up taking mine apart and cleaning everything up. Glued the metal tube to the CF control rod and then reamed out the guide till the rod had no down pressure on it. Seems to be pretty smooth now. Still don't know why they just didn't make it fit right in the first place. I kinda feel better having the guide in place. Guess it really doesn't matter cause if it popped off at the servo or the tail in flight you would be doomed either way.
It is a well documented design flaw but it can be easily fixed by reaming the hole in one direction with a round file allowing the push rod coming closer to the boom. Other than that it is a great product. It is Align not Logo after all and the price tag to match
mmarian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well said Mmarian. I have just finished my 550 build and now am looking at a "next" build and I do like the Logo's by mikado but their prices seem to be right up there. This 550 was my first build (after rebuilding my B400 countless times) and I felt the quality was right on par with what I paid for the kit. i would not hesitate to get another align kit. Kinda like the MSH protos too but don't know much about them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in