Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Kasama Helicopters and Upgrades

Kasama Helicopters and Upgrades Kasama Srimok 90 Helicopters and Upgrades Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders248 View Post
From what I can see it looks like a good rewind. I've rewound a few smaller motors before, but tempted to have a go with a 700 size motor. What termination is it now?
He ended up doing it at 8+8 with 1.18mm wire and YY termination. That was supposed to come out to about 380KV but ended up a little higher in final tests when it was done. At 380 I would prob have needed to go with a 12 tooth pinion so at 410-420 and the 11 tooth it's still real close to my target.

One benefit of single strand wire is lots more space for cooling. It was barely even warm after flying on Sunday, even when just hovering for 8 minutes. Temps at Epsom Downs were supposed to be 15 so it's not like it was hot outside but it's encouraging because I was really worried about how hot this motor was getting in the Triabolo, it was so hot I could not touch it, like at all.

He said it's a very well made motor and mentioned something about the stator being already laquered or something so it didn't require paper under the wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030017.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	540821   Click image for larger version

Name:	10718022_714985391922442_1986468708_n.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	540822  
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys, it's like a morgue in this sub..

Anyway, I'm thinking about rebuilding my Faifa. It died back in 2014 and I ended up stripping it along with all the my other helis. I sold off everything usable and kept the two damaged airframes (Faifa and Diabolo).

Seeing as I have a clean slate, I own no other RC equipment, I've been wondering on the Faifa build. I had a 4525 + HJ120 in there previously and the power was great and the heli was light using 4400 packs. Now I'm not sure how to build it. I'm tempted to go with a smaller motor, may Pyro 700, Jive 80, basic Futaba 6v servo and some light packs - aka 2010 spec.

Interestingly the Faifa was my least favoured heli to fly and yet my Srimok my most favoured. I'm not sure if that was down to feel or fear of not wanting to crash it - I don't know, I seldom felt comfortable flying it. The Srimok got beat on without these issues, though I crashed that a couple of times.

So I'm looking for build ideas and options. The alternative is that I'm falling for the sunk cost fallacy and that I should fix and sell this airframe and buy something else..
thefrog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2016, 03:53 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think most people will throw their nitro around more, as the power feels a bit less intimidating and towards the end of the tank they're so light.

I really liked my Faifa with a 4525, the 4235 is also a good choice if you want similar power and not make changes to the elevator servo position.

If I was going to build another, I would be tempted to go back to a Pyro 700, or Scorpion 4035, 690 or 670 main blades and light packs, like 4300 Optis. Just to try and emulate the feel of the Srimok. Then keep the head speed to around 1,900rpm. That was the setup of my first ever Faifa and felt great.

I know that setup wouldn't have the big air power of the 4530, Kosimk and 14s setup I've got in mine now, but it would be great for nimble and smooth 3D in a smaller area.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog View Post
Hey guys, it's like a morgue in this sub..
I know, it hurts to see a dip in the love for Kasama!
Old 07-22-2016, 04:33 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders248 View Post
I know that setup wouldn't have the big air power of the 4530, Kosimk and 14s setup I've got in mine now, but it would be great for nimble and smooth 3D in a smaller area.
Interesting setup you have there, the Faifa is the last heli I'd imagine with that setup. Yes, maybe the nitro feels less intimidating... hmm, decision. I'd hate to build it with the P700 and then find it's not fun. For motor comparison I had a Logo 600SX with a custom wound 4035 (1.4YY I think?). That was 3.9kg RTF and insane fun.

My Faifa with 4525 weighed 5kg RTF and the Srimok was 4.95kg RTF - so not much in it between those two.

I'll have to think about it some more.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think if you're used to running with a 4525, then stick with it! It will run cooler and be less stressed. I've got the 4525 in my TDR, with about 13° @ 1,900rpm, it never bogs and is really relaxing to fly.

My 14s Faifa is really flexible too. It will give me smooth 10 minute flights at 1,700rpm, comes alive at 1,900rpm and at 2,100rpm you can empty the packs in 4 minutes. I use Revo 3700 7s packs, so it's not much heavier than my Srimok.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:40 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got a pyro 750 comp you can squeeze in there!

BenScoobert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah it has been totally quiet here for a while. I always look to see if there's anything new.

Regarding the sunkan cost scenario, you have to just figure out what it would cost to fix it vs what you could sell it for and then what would be the difference you'd have to shell out for something new.

I loved my Faifa right from the start and then it got even better when I replaced some loose links in the head and took out all the slop. (I bought the Lowrider head 2nd hand so the links had become a bit worn but I didn't realise how much difference it made to tighten it up).

My setup is pretty light, comes in at right about 4.7kg with 4000mah packs and I can even fly it quite happily for about 6 minutes on 2600mah packs by putting them both on top.

It is fitted with:

Hacker Turnado motor rewound for 420KV (using 11 tooth pinion)
PowerJive 120 with 2000mah Eneloop buffer / backup pack
Futaba BLS253s on the swash and Outrage 9188 on the tail
Edge 713s and rail 106s
Spartan VX1

I'm sure it would work fine on a Jive 80HV instead because that's what I'm using in the TDR and it has been perfect. I could probably save a few grams of weight by losing the buffer pack and replacing it with an Opti Ultraguard.

Headspeed is around 1300 ish, based on Mr Mel's headspeed calculator.

To me the Faifa flies relatively similar in feel to the TDR and I have the same FBL unit in both and run at similar headspeeds. They're certainly not exactly the same but both very very good in their own way.

One thing I have always loved about the Faifa and the Dune is how easy it is to change packs between flights and that you can easily disconnect the packs without having to remove the canopy.

---Just to add, about motors, I really like the pyros. I have had a bunch of them now, some stock and some rewound and they have all been great. I now have a rewound 700comp 520kv (might be 530kv now I forgot) in the Triabolo with a really small pinion and it's very efficient. For a while I had a Scorpion HKIII 4035/450 in the Faifa and it worked very well also.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.

Last edited by trillian; 07-22-2016 at 11:27 AM..
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, Pyros are great, I had an 800 Comp in my Diabolo, what a motor. Cost to repair would be lower than selling price, but not by much. I wouldn't get much for the airframe so I'm not even considering its economic value, just wondering whether it's the right build direction. It is very pretty though, I rebuilt the tail output the last few evenings, such beautiful engineering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default It doesn't matter what goes in

Just go nuts, like you usually do!

But get her back in the air, I am about to sell all my Skookums, and all my non KSM helis, and going back to vbar, on the dune and 720be on shelf queen Srimok!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in