Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Outrage RC > Outrage 550

Outrage 550 Outrage 550 Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Tail Belt Input Please

At the moment I have ony two birds, an Align 500 and the Outrage 550. I recently encountered much expense when the 500 required a total rebuild as a result of one of Align wood core white CF paddles flying off the flybar in flight. I mention this as it has me a little gun shy about spending a lot of money for repairs due to part failure. Which brings me to my question about belt issues on the 550. I really love this bird and would opt to fly it all the time. However, tales of belt issues have me wondering if I should be leaving it home till issues are sorted out. I'm coming up on thirty flights, now hearing of belt failure in the 30-40 flight range. It would be nice to get some feel as to the number of 550's out there, along with some idea of what percent have had belt failure. I haven't a clue if failures are the exception or becoming the rule. If the orginal belt can not be trusted, is there a belt that can?
edge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

mine failed on flight 34
damage is $300-400 and counting
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is the only belt I've found to be confirmed as a Bando, which currently is the best option.
http://rjxofusa.com/store/product_in...roducts_id=447
I just ordered one this morning. No doubt, Helidirect will have their stock sorted out shortly, but who knows how long that will be, could be a month or two. These things take time, so I went ahead and got the RJX belt.

Imo, this problem stems from the stock belt being of poor quality. There has only been one reported failure of the new belt (Al Austria,which I'm sure you've read that thread) and it wasn't even from the right manufacturer. So, we're are still left with the issue of the stock belts breaking. I sure hope the Bando belt is the solution to the problem.
ktm520 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
This is the only belt I've found to be confirmed as a Bando, which currently is the best option.
http://rjxofusa.com/store/product_in...roducts_id=447
I just ordered one this morning. No doubt, Helidirect will have their stock sorted out shortly, but who knows how long that will be, could be a month or two. These things take time, so I went ahead and got the RJX belt.

Imo, this problem stems from the stock belt being of poor quality. There has only been one reported failure of the new belt (Al Austria,which I'm sure you've read that thread) and it wasn't even from the right manufacturer. So, we're are still left with the issue of the stock belts breaking. I sure hope the Bando belt is the solution to the problem.
I don't necessarily think the stock belt is of poor quality. I think it would hold up just fine if the wobbly pulley was fixed. The stock belt is similar to my 600E and N's, at least in material etc... I NEVER really saw belt dust to speak of on those helis. On this Outrage 550 where the pulley is the upper part of the pulley where it rubs is covered with dust on mine, until I clean it. Essentially it "sands" the belt down with friction and eventually fatigues the belt IMO. If the stock pulley wasn't a flaming pile of dog poo, I think my belt and the other belt failures wouldn't be an issue. I think AI Australia's 2nd belt was a fluke very bad luck thing. Plus that off brand NON Bando belt looks like 2 monkey's made it in a meth lab after smoking/shooting all the meth they made the day prior.
Spartan RC
Old 04-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

coronaL, I don't totally agree with you, but it will be interesting to see if the new pulley and belt eliminates belt failures. If this problem was totally caused by the pulley, why would Outrage come out with a new belt? Its hard to say. The wobbly pulley definitely doesn't help with belt wear, as it causes the belt to move laterally on the pulley, although a very small amount. I think a big part of the new pulley is merely to appease the customer.

I removed all molding flash from the pulley and smoothed/radiused the edges. After 20 flights, there isn't even a hint of belt dust on my 550. I also lube the belt will silicone spray and may have gotten one of the straighter pulleys. But, I also don't fly my heli near as hard as you do, so mileage will vary. Though, Bobby Smith (rremodel.com) made the comment that he new of more than a few belt failures and the setups ranged from mild to wild.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
coronaL, I don't totally agree with you, but it will be interesting to see if the new pulley and belt eliminates belt failures. If this problem was totally caused by the pulley, why would Outrage come out with a new belt? Its hard to say. The wobbly pulley definitely doesn't help with belt wear, as it causes the belt to move laterally on the pulley, although a very small amount. I think a big part of the new pulley is merely to appease the customer.

I removed all molding flash from the pulley and smoothed/radiused the edges. After 20 flights, there isn't even a hint of belt dust on my 550. I also lube the belt will silicone spray and may have gotten one of the straighter pulleys. But, I also don't fly my heli near as hard as you do, so mileage will vary. Though, Bobby Smith (rremodel.com) made the comment that he new of more than a few belt failures and the setups ranged from mild to wild.
yeah I can only comment on my 2 cent theories lol. I got ALOT of belt dust. My pulley I took out at about flight 24 or so, sanded it down to remove the flashing, but I think the majority of the damage was done in the prior flights. I can hear the pulley rub in flight on the belt sometimes. That can't be good. Was told to just fly it as is that it woudl be fine. This is per one of the people I trust at HD, I believe it was Greg, but I can't say for sure as I don't have that support ticket # here at work to look it up.
Spartan RC
Old 04-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys,

I am working on this and I will resolve it ASAP! As for the knockoff belts they were mixed in with the bando brand belts so this explains why some of you got bando and others got knock off I have made sure they have been removed from stock and will be sent back to the distrubutor that sent NON Bando brand belts.

For new pulley I should have the new sample anytime now if it passes my checks we should hopfully see stock in US on or about the end of the month.

I will keep you posted
Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

So it sounds like it is safe to order the new belt from Helidirect.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like the upgrade belts on helidirect will be instock on the 25th..
nate735 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in