Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Need advice

Had my first mishap! Was hovering at about 4 feet when my cp v2 became very hard to control first the nose dipped tried to correct but any minor corrections on the stick were major on the Heli before I knew it she was wobbleing forward, backward, left and right so I had to try and bring her down obviously not level at all. When she got a couple inches to the ground I cut power needless to say the blades hit the ground and splinterd about a half inch of each blade. First thing I thought was a link poped of the head somewhere but they were all in tack so I removed the canopy and found the problem, the battery slipped from the battery band and was moving around causing major balance issues. Replaced the blades and visualy inspected the head all looked good. restrapped the battery and spooled her back up lifted off fine to a stable hover but the head seemed to have a slight wobble which I dont think it had before. So my ? is Could I have bent the feathering shaft or main shaft If so how can I check them. Should I replace them or keep flyin till the next mishap. Sorry for the dumb ? and the long post but am a newbe of about 2 mo. thanks for your help
rotorfan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Rotofan, and welcome to our forum. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have, that's why we're here

It is very common to bend both the feathering shaft and/or the main rotor shaft during a hard landing. With both blades broken off I'd be surprised if the feathering shaft wasn't bent.

If the feathering shaft is bent, the blade tracking will be off. The end of one blade will be spinning lower than the end of the other blade. When the Belt is hovering, looking at the rear of the heli when it's at eye level, the visual disk made by the spinning main blades will be wider than normal because the blades are not spinning on the same horizontal track.

If the main shaft is bent, when you look at the top of the main shaft, you'll see that it's wobbling as you spin up the blades.

You may hear a rythmic "thrumming" noise as the main gear to pinion clearance changes due to the bent shaft moving the main gear off center.

You could probably get away with flying it the way it is if it's just the feathering shaft and it's not affecting your control of the heli.

However if the main shaft is bent, you'll need to replace it as the wobble of the shaft will tear up the main gear and could ruin the bearings or wear out the tail belt pretty quickly.

don't be afraid to let us know if you need more help
mnwizard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Best way to check them is to take them out and roll them on a glass table.
GAUI 200 (under reconstruction)
Trex 450 (sponsered by Pittjitsu)
creteus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks guys. Is it a major job to replace them? And will I have to re-setup the whole head unit?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorfan View Post
thanks guys. Is it a major job to replace them? And will I have to re-setup the whole head unit?
Not a major problem to change out the feathering shaft- you'll need two 5.5mm box spanners, undo the nuts pull apart noting the orientation of the thrust bearings. Replace the feathering shaft, re-grease the thrust bearing and reassemble.

The main shaft is easier- undo the Jesus bolts at the top which holds the head, and the bottom which holds the main gear and pull out.

The head should not need setting up as your links are already set, but it's always good practice to double check.

The forum supersticky should contain any further info that you may need

Due to economic circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
lankey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Its not to bad. Just pop the 3 servo links off and take the bolt out that runs through the main gear. The whole head will slide out of the heli. Then take out the bolt that runs through the head core and the shaft will slide right out of all the head parts. If you keep all the parts compressed together the new shaft will silde right in. Everything should be the same when you get it back together so setting it up again is not necessary. Just give it a check up to make sure everything is still the same.
The feathering shaft is simple. Take off the blades and remove the nut or bolt from inside the grip and pull the shaft out. Just be carefull not to lose the bearings.
GAUI 200 (under reconstruction)
Trex 450 (sponsered by Pittjitsu)
creteus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 05:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorfan View Post
...so I removed the canopy and found the problem, the battery slipped from the battery band and was moving around causing major balance issues. ...restrapped the battery and spooled her back up...
I hope you don't mind that I make an obvious comment, but I would really start using some adhesive velcro tape on the heli and battery if you don't do this right now, this will prevent the same accident from happening again. The rubber or velcro battery band should only be there to hold the pack sticked to the velcro. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys youve been a great help. velcro already done redbird thanks. I try not to make the same mistake twice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in