Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

View Poll Results: Which TX model?
Futaba 8FG Super 42 64.62%
Hitec Aurora 9 23 35.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 8FG Super or Hitec Aurora 9

I am looking to upgrade from my first radio DX6i to something with more channels and features. I am looking at these two radios, the Aurora 9 is used and I can pick it up for 300 w/ RX. I have 3 helis 450, 500 and 600 pro which will all need RX units so that really isnt a selling point. I am getting away from Spektrum from all the glitches and mysterious errors they are having. I know Futaba has a large reputation and I havent heard anything bad about them. What do you think would be the best choice for reliability, ease of use, long term use, and build quality? Should be known I am very electronics smart and I can lean the new programming required for both, as I know they are very different from Spektrum to program each model.
DaveHolland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm voting for Futaba only because it's the radio I own and around here we don't have much experience with the Hitec TX.
Also since more people fly Futaba then Hitec it will be easier for you to get help.
ClubCRASH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

it boils down to your preference then if you fly 3D and some sport then I highly recommend the 8FGS, If you're more of a light sport / mild 3D and or scale ,
then either or is a great choice.
8FG- fast and reliable connection / telemetry module upgradeable. 14 channels
9 A - decent connection and speed / available built in telemetry with required RX/ 9 channels
Old 02-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I fly med 3D and trying to get harder everyday. I want to get it to flip around like crazy, so I am going to a TX for something like that, low response time.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had both.
Bought T8fg then sold it for aurora for its telemetry.
then sold aurora and now i got another t8fg.
Had two glitches with aurora, both with different receiver and both crashed my heli.

First one was with 450, not using spc. Heli not responding while hovering and crashed to nearby tree trunk. tree 1, heli 0. The same heli had many flights with no problem what so ever. Same electronics went in with cheap turnigy 9x, and no single problem until today.

Second, glitches wtih all servo when hovering 10 feet, the 500 rolled hard to right and whammmmm... mother earth 1, heli 0

Had never had a glitch with futaba, no tricky spc port, it just works even with the cheaper frsky fasst rx.

Check forums, you'll never find one guy with t8fg problem, but several aurora problem.
whiskey29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is what I wanted to hear, I never thought Futaba had issues but I wasnt sure of the Hitec. I dont want to jump from on glich to the next.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 for the 8fg, I did get a used dx6i to play with the micro airplanes from eflight
Zorgnot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I own the Hitec. Pretty much every problem that I have read with the radio can be attributed to being setup wrong. The receiver needs to be powered straight from the lipo, not from the bec. When the bec flakes out it causes a brownout and the receiver reboots. The same thing happens with most of the other brands too. If it's correctly powered it can never experience a brownout. It's a great design in my opinion. I've got about 20 hours of flight on mine and 0 problems. It's really is a great radio.
infamousnation is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have an A9 and to be honest, its a bit of overkill for a heli. It has tons of user programmable stuff that is not used on a heli. It's more suited to complex sailplanes and large-scale planks. If you're interested, go watch Finless' video on programming switched inverted, to get an idea of the power of the programming.

This is a geek's radio. The only reason that I have it, is that I had a lot of birds to convert and the receivers were cheaper.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I head about that, an inverted switch so it will handle as if it were skids down. Sounds too complex for me. I did hold the A9 and it did feel sturdy and well built. As for power I am running LifE direct so the BEC should not be an issue.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't know anything about the Aurora9, sorry, but I do know the 8FG Super is one kick AZZ radio!!
Beam E4-(Scorpion HK-2221-6,11T pinion, Phoenix 60, HS65MG cyclics, GY520),120SR, Trex 250SE (stock) MH bottom plate,GY-520,Futaba R6106, MCPx,DX7se,Futaba 8FG Super, HPI Vorza on Futaba 4PL.Honda HS928K1TA
olemil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wrong setup? Well I just saw a pattern plane yesterday with 7channel rx aurora, the spc port wasn't used, there are 4 medium sized servo, and no brown out. I might had a bad luck owning a bad radio. Crashed with two different receiver, spc port was used. I think i set it up right.

Aurora is cheaper, I checked they are using on the shelf processors.
Futaba is using their own processors. (or futaba might just have relabeled it) but it attributes tonfaster processing time hence lower latency.

Yes i wish the 8fg has the same telemetry features, but at the end of the day, its not really used anyway.

Correct me if am wrong.
whiskey29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A poll in a futaba thread and futaba gets 59% and Aurora gets 41%.
Interesting.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Never again would i trust hitec on a helicopter or anything that i would fly. 50ms latency makes compared to 14ms/8ms..on FASST, static sensitivy causes radio lockout and a bunch of other unique issues hitec wont ever fess up to. These issues are more prevelant in helicopters but i assure you are there..and cant be fixed with software etc. I really liked the radio itself but the system as a whole was terrible. the worst part of my experience with them was there dishonesty...they know about the problems and deny them to all.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in