Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora

Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora Avant Mostro, Aurora, Electric eAurora, RigidCore Flybarless Head, Avant EFX and Avant FX Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the RCBooya quick-release canopy bolts.
Kontronik Drives
Justin Stuart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Stuart View Post
I use the RCBooya quick-release canopy bolts.
Which is exactly what I am going to do but I actually laughed out loud when I realized the 4 bolts left in the box were for holding the canopy on. Couldn't throw some cheap M3 thumbscrews into the kit? 4 of them at Ready heli are $7.99, 4-Aluminum ones from experience are $1.50
rctazz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is what it is. There are other models out there. Why don't you build one of them? You've clearly been against the Aurora since the beginning.
ndugu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #44 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctazz View Post
So basically, based on what you said about threading the 2mm balls into the plastic, I have to buy 3 new parts (44 dollars) and see if I can get the balls to thread into those holes without stripping them. Sweet.
Same thing with the MA machines I used to fly. There is a black carbonized rubberized CA that I would get from B&B Hobbies that works GREAT for screws into plastic. I actually started using it when I flew Raptors. If you check out the Spectra G build vids here in our video forum I shot of John Garst building my Spectra G, you will see the Black CA in use. Works great!!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndugu View Post
It is what it is. There are other models out there. Why don't you build one of them? You've clearly been against the Aurora since the beginning.

bit harsh. he building the heli and pointing out what he thinks could be better. no model is perfect including this one and a couple of the points are valid
when he flys the heli all the little points raised will disappear because it flys better than everything out there in my opinion.
blade nano s2
fatboyrob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndugu View Post
Not true at all. If that was the case I would not have dropped 2500.00 (including the kit) to build it. I just would have sold it as new in the box. I'm psyched that it is almost done and even more excited to fly it. I simply stated my opinion about my experience with the build and the kit pieces. I have built a lot of Helis but never one that is considered to be high end. It really wouldn't have mattered what brand of model it was I would have given my opinion about what I though could be improved.

To be fair, I have mostly stated negative and I haven't said much positive and there are a lot of things positive about the Avant build. Here is what I like about the Avant even before flying. The body/frame/Boom is so rigid when assembled it is like one piece. The boom block/ boom braces hold the boom very solid. The metal components are very stout. The flybarred head is so tunable, being an engineer, that almost makes me want to fly it as a flybarred heli just to play. The electronics placement forethought is outstanding including pre-cut holes for tie wraps and straps. Even the tail blade holders with their preload is ingenious, I just wish the bolts holding the halves together had nuts on the back side of the threads and the ball on the holder did too. The pre-installed servo nuts is a plus instead of having to fumble with the bolts and nuts to hold them in a tiny space. I am sure, based on watching videos and reading what people say, the Avant will fly amazing just like it is. I already stated somewhere that IMO, it is without a doubt the best looking Helicopter on the market.

That being said, there are things that can and should be improved. Some are simple fixes like using longer threaded balls through plastic and putting a nut on the back side. If nobody gives feedback it will never happen, the whole squeaky wheel gets the grease thing. How many people here wouldn't buy aluminum upgrade parts to replace the plastic stressed parts on the Avant...if they were available.

Edit: Thanks Rob, didn't see your post until after I posted this.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillJames View Post
Same thing with the MA machines I used to fly. There is a black carbonized rubberized CA that I would get from B&B Hobbies that works GREAT for screws into plastic. I actually started using it when I flew Raptors. If you check out the Spectra G build vids here in our video forum I shot of John Garst building my Spectra G, you will see the Black CA in use. Works great!!
Thanks Will, I'll check that out.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctazz View Post
Thanks Will, I'll check that out.
I believe this is the stuff Will is talking about.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ughened-CA-1oz

Representing:
AMain Hobbies, XNova Motors
Jason Bell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used to use that same black rubberized CA. (I too learned about it from John Garst from his Spectra video). However I no longer use that glue and instead use thin CA. The reason why is that the hole where you're going to put the CA (namely the little 2mm hole in the plastic tail blade grip) creates such extreme surface tension that even regular CA will not fill the hole. Instead it just sticks to the outside of the hole forming a meniscus. Thin CA has a lot less surface tension and actually goes inside the hole instead of forming a meniscus above the hole.

I think you really need at a minimum a 3mm hole in order to be able to use that black CA in the hole. For a 2.5mm hole or smaller, I think you need at a bare minimum regular CA.

Of course it should be noted that I make liberal use of nitromethane-based CA dissolver to remove any excess glue that gets onto things. I bought a bunch of CA dissolver before they discontinued it at my local Hobby Lobby. I have yet to find a new source of the stuff, but I still have a year's worth of CA dissolver in a box so that will hold me.

I consider CA to be almost as high on my list of "must-haves" in this hobby is a good set of MIP drivers.
Kontronik Drives
Justin Stuart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bell View Post
I believe this is the stuff Will is talking about.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ughened-CA-1oz
Thanks, I couldn't find it on BBs website.

Mechanically done with the Heli (until the FBL head gets here). I ordered the Edge Premium SE 693 FBL blades and they should be here in a couple of days. I am going to borrow a receiver to do the setup on this head until the Spektrum/Beast Combo is available. It looks like the manual rod lengths for the head are pretty close if not right on.

Last edited by rctazz; 01-03-2012 at 09:24 PM..
Old 01-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #51 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Funny that you are using a Pool Table to build on. I thought I was the only one who did that. At least I used to be before I sold the table a couple years ago.

I agree the Black CA can get thick, if you get a super fresh bottle and you clean the threads really well and apply it very thin like locktite it would work most likely but you are probably right thin CA might do just as well or better in such a small application.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillJames View Post
Funny that you are using a Pool Table to build on. I thought I was the only one who did that. At least I used to be before I sold the table a couple years ago.

I agree the Black CA can get thick, if you get a super fresh bottle and you clean the threads really well and apply it very thin like locktite it would work most likely but you are probably right thin CA might do just as well or better in such a small application.
I actually built it at my RC workbench (see previous pictures) I just put it there for those pictures. I have built many helis and planes on that pool table...much to my wife's dismay.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Finished the build last night, Setup the ESC and did a bladeless test spin everything looked and sounded good. Weather permitting, I should be able to maiden this weekend. I checked the swash to mixing arm rod angles with a articulating protractor and one of them is a little less than 90 degrees so I am going to play with that tonight and then re-zero the blades.

Now I have to setup the flybarless head.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in