Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can't connect SK 540 to my pc to update firmware

Hello, I had an error when updating my firmware from 3.xx to 4.02. I can't connect the the gyro to my pc now. I've tried both reset functions on Skookum's wiki page, it appeared to reset 2 different times but never connected after going through what appeared to be a partial reset. I've used 3 different usb cables, 2 pc's, a lipo battery and a nimh receiver pack to try to reflash the memory and reset the connection to the PC. At this point, I don't know what else to do and am looking for any other suggestions. Thank you.

Dan
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerb View Post
Hello, I had an error when updating my firmware from 3.xx to 4.02. I can't connect the the gyro to my pc now. I've tried both reset functions on Skookum's wiki page, it appeared to reset 2 different times but never connected after going through what appeared to be a partial reset. I've used 3 different usb cables, 2 pc's, a lipo battery and a nimh receiver pack to try to reflash the memory and reset the connection to the PC. At this point, I don't know what else to do and am looking for any other suggestions. Thank you.

Dan
Some of the older 540s need to be powered up when connected, but you say you have already tried this? Is this a newer PC than was used beofre with possibly with USB3 ports? Many have issues with USB3 ports and need to run through an older USB 2.0 hub to connect.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have an older laptop that I know has the older usb ports and that is the one that the flybarless system has connected with. The other computer is a desktop that has a mix of usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports. The desktop computer has been unsuccessful at connecting regardless of what I've tried to do.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

=] Don't use a blue 3 cable for this, but it sounds like a server issue, please PM me your gyro serial #,,,,,,,,,

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerb View Post

Dan
I had exactly the same problem yesterday. Apparently there was a recent upgrade to my system (Win 10), and now the machine will not see a SK unit. Any SK unit, powered or unpowered. I shut down, and restarted the PC. I went back to an earlier set point. Nothing worked.

Fortunately, I have a laptop with which I was able to connect with my units.

This is so frustrating.

Rick
rickn816 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try disabling driver signature enforcement. Win10 is fussy with what drivers it will let you use, but you can get around it.

Use the following steps to disable driver signature enforcement.
Click the Start menu and select Settings.
Click Update and Security.
Click on Recovery.
Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Click Startup Settings.
Click on Restart.
On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.

I just copy/pasted that from google. Its not a permanent patch, the pc will revert to default settings every time you restart. Have a good look around in the advanced settings after reboot, it might be hard to find.

Last edited by The_crack_fox; 07-11-2016 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: post was incomplete
The_crack_fox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

We just went through this with a basically new old blue case 720 that still had its original software, never upgraded. Worked just fine but the minute I tried to update I got a fail warning and it quit connecting to the laptop.

Georgi helped me with this!

I had to delete my current SK software in my laptop. Go back and download it in my laptop to 3:43. Don't use the pop up upgrade prompt! Do it in the setup window only! I had corrupted files in one download. So I had to do this twice before my gyro connected. Gyro connected and upgraded successfully to the next 3:43 software step. Updated my Sk720 to this software version. Not the latest version!
Then delete 3:43 in the laptop, upgrade the software to the next step. Which I believe was 4:2. Again, don't use the pop up upgrade prompt! Do it in the setup window only! Gyro connected. Upgraded successfully to the laptops newer 4:2 version. In this case this is where you are stalled. I would try erasing the software out of your laptop and trying from 3:43 up to 4:02 again but not by using the pop up? Only in the setup window itself. Your version may have a corrupted file? It is worth a try.

If this doesn't work hopefully Georgi has your serial #?

For the rest of us however.
Now you are ready to update the software in the laptop to the latest version without deleting the last one. Update to 4:05 version in the laptop. Then update your gyro to this step. And then follow it up to its current software version until both are current.

I did have an SD card failure, but re formatted and it solved the issue. Now the gyro is just fine.

I have had to do this once before a long time ago on another old gyro we rescued.

Windows 10 required me to start using a 2.0 port adaptor! Only one Skookum I own works with the 3.0 port. No idea why.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_crack_fox View Post
Try disabling driver signature enforcement. Win10 is fussy with what drivers it will let you use, but you can get around it.

Use the following steps to disable driver signature enforcement.
Click the Start menu and select Settings.
Click Update and Security.
Click on Recovery.
Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Click Startup Settings.
Click on Restart.
On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.

I just copy/pasted that from google. Its not a permanent patch, the pc will revert to default settings every time you restart. Have a good look around in the advanced settings after reboot, it might be hard to find.
That did not work for me.

But, I remembered that my wife had a USB "splitter" that she no longer uses. Connected green again.

Please, Art, when you are finished with your latest, give us a USB driver that works.

Rick
Old 07-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgi has been helping me with mine and I appreciate the assistance. I also will take a look at the steps on the driver signature enforcement options. Thanks for posting those. I have had some issues with older software on Windows 10 that has required changing some settings on my media pc so I understand a little how Windows 10 isn't 100% plug and play with things.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm glad you are getting some help.

I have left an old laptop specifically just on Windows 7 due to these inconsistencies with skookum and new hardware/software.

I still can't believe there is not a work around to get the units to play nice on USB3 setups/ports.

Now this.

It looks like it is time for a revamp of the software and firmware to allow for better connections!
Old 07-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun71 View Post
I'm glad you are getting some help.

I have left an old laptop specifically just on Windows 7 due to these inconsistencies with skookum and new hardware/software.

I still can't believe there is not a work around to get the units to play nice on USB3 setups/ports.

Now this.

It looks like it is time for a revamp of the software and firmware to allow for better connections!
And USB3 is now obsolete.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in