Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JLog - The JIVE logging stamp

JLog - The JIVE logging stamp JLog - The JIVE logging stamp - Official English Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Castle Edge ESC, mAh-used, inconsistent vs what charger puts back

I am seeing significant inconsistency between what my Castle Edge ESC reports for mAh-used (which determines what the JLog shows), vs what my charger is putting back. I'm curious if others are seeing the same thing.

To be clear- This is not specifically about how well JLog works, or its accuracy. I am deliberately primarily comparing data from the Castle ESCs own log, vs what my charger put back. Since what the JLog reports is based on what the ESC is providing, I don't really want to make this about JLog, or its accuracy. It is sort of the messenger for this raw data.

But with that said, many users in this forum presumably use their JLog for monitoring mAh-used, and some people are likely using Castle systems, so maybe this is a good place to ask. I know I never paid attention to mAh-used in my Castle logs before getting the JLog

On some recent flights (~5:45), just flying circuits, sometimes my mAh-used alarm goes off as early as ~5:25, other times it's been as late as around 6:15. These are pretty consistent flight styles, which is why the difference caught my eye. Same governed headspeed, gentle circuits, etc.

I am running an Edge 100, with 4.19 firmware, I believe. I did some logging with Amps, at 2Hz, for 9 flights. Another at 5Hz, for 3 flights. Each time, the packs are recharged individually, at the same C-rate, on the same charger (iCharger 308Duo). I'm recording what my JLog reports (for the Taranis, it shows the # 2 ways, "Fuel" may be more accurate), what the charger puts back, and later I calculate the ESC's mAh-used, from its log.

It seems to me that the ESC's reporting is very inconsistent.

In the 2Hz-logging session of 9 flights, the ESC's reported mAh ranged from 84% to 96% of what the charger put back.

In the 5Hz-logging session of 3 flights, in the first flight, the ESC reported 82% of what the charger showed. On the second and third, it was quite consistent, 76% and 77%. That last flight was even a bit more aggressive, but was still consistent.

Graphs showing ESC-reported and charger-reported mAh are attached. The full Excel file is also attached, for those interested. Rename the Excel file back to .xls from .txt.

There could be a question of whether 2Hz logs are fast enough. But also graphing what the JLog reported (which I'm *guessing* is independent of the ESC's logging rate), it scales well with the ESC's values. And again, this is just circuits, there are no big current spikes.

As a sanity check for the charger, on the flights where the charger put back even-more mAh, the packs were at a lower voltage at the start of the charge. I believe what the charger is showing.

I don't need the ESC to show the exact same number that the charger shows. I can add a correction factor, using the JLog. But I *do* need it to be consistent. If it varies this much when using a single headspeed, and single flight style, I don't feel I can really trust it to tell me when to land, when I also start changing headspeeds, how I'm flying, etc.

Have other Castle users seen more-consistent results?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2Hz ESC logging.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	535028   Click image for larger version

Name:	5Hz ESC logging.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	535029  
Attached Files
File Type: txt Comparing mAh used, for Edge, JLog, and charger 9-8-14.xls.txt (28.5 KB, 86 views)
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Did u try to changing the imot shunt value in jlc config program?

Adjust that value up or down to get mah to match more closely.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I did, thank you. I already have an offset value set in the configuration. The trouble is not with the accuracy, you could say, but with the lack of consistency.

You can't really use an offset to correct for something that varies a lot. Some flights mysteriously end up needing different Imot values.

This is, I believe, really a Castle issue, but I wanted to ask here, since I suspect most "traditional" (non-JLog) Castle users likely don't pay a lot of attention to the mAh-used readings in the logs.

I appreciate the reply.

Sent using Tapatalk.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok I understand your question more now. I did have a little trouble with my cc and mAh at first. I never did check for consistency on different flights. I got my shunt value close to my chargers return mah. When mah alarm goes off I'm around 4000mah used and around 3.7v
But I after finding a good shunt value I never compared more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in