Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 500/570

SAB Goblin 500/570 SAB Heli Division - Goblin 500/570 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure why many people seem to be upset over what's unfolding here.
Would you actually expect any company in SAB's position to do anything less?

Of course we all want to have access to lower cost options, and it is great when a free market is allowed to do what it does best and provide options.

There are 2 issues here:

The goblin boom truly did offer up something different to the RC Heli world and they have actually been granted an International Patent for it. Note it is not Petent Pending, it actually made it through the process and received the status.
So SAB has granted Canomod the exclusive ability to produce product under that patent.
I see no problem with HeliWow or any other aftermarket products company making parts for the Goblin. But they certainly could at least try to get around the patent, like many companies do, by modifying the design in some way, or better yet "improving" it in some way.
To directly copy it and just earn revenue from SAB's design is in my view, just wrong. Whether, and how the patent can be enforced across international borders is another story.

The use of the "Goblin" trademark and logo on a product without license is a completely separate issue. Every company wants to protect their name and logo.
Just try and make something with the Coca-Cola or Nike logo on it
Go try and find a canopy with the "Mikado Logo" on it. There are other canopies made that will fit, but of course they cannot use the name.

Anyhow, everyone is free to do as they wish.
Out of curiosity, when you receive your boom it would be interesting to see pictures of the internals of the boom.
With the 500 and the new Competition series of booms, the technology used to make them has changed. The wall thickness is very thin and still strong.

As for the shipping costs, that $65 has been their price for a long time and it's because they only use UPS. I have no idea why they wouldn't use the postal service as HeliWow has, and given you the price of $35. It could be a number of reasons from their location and access, experience with damages,or just nonsense.

Either way, if nothing else comes out of this thread, at least Canomods shipping charges may be addressed because of it.
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #22 (permalink)

One quick way for HelliWow and any others to solve the problem would be to just not put the Goblin Trademark name on there Product. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would be happy with out the trade mark.

When I was flying align, I could buy canopies for a lot less then the price of aligns, they just did not have aligns name on them.
mu300pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya well after reading this whole thread, I really want a custom one now. And bottom line for me is price. I'm not that into smacking it around or 3-d so idc weather it's CF or GF. I just want cool looking and I want my name on it. That would be bad A**.
So if they are now offering free shipping? Which one would be cheaper?
Youngbuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngbuck View Post
Ya well after reading this whole thread, I really want a custom one now. And bottom line for me is price. I'm not that into smacking it around or 3-d so idc weather it's CF or GF. I just want cool looking and I want my name on it. That would be bad A**.
So if they are now offering free shipping? Which one would be cheaper?
Could not agree more. I do think that SAB's prices for CF parts is wholesale robbery. Shame too. Think they would sell much more oem parts if they weren't out to screw the pooch on each sale.

I too would like to hear about how the heli wow boom and canopy turn out for fit and quality. I would have ordered from canomod too but for fiberglass parts they are way too expensive and their shipping is just flat out rape. It not like the paint and clear isn't going to crack and check the moment you flex the canopy to put it on anyway.... Now if canomod was putting out a quality paint job and clear coat that might help justify the exorbitant prices.
Bubbasanjohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

So i see SAB is concerned about patent and then use a company like canomod that is using another companies trademarked stuff. Tell me canomod got permission to use this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	470097  
Old 12-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like to little FEA image they threw in there. Good to see all the stress is induced right in the back of the block. I wonder what safety factor they design to and who actually designed the Carbon layout pattern to achieve the ultimate design. Not easy work to do in CAD simulations and not cheap either.......
Goblin 380 KSE Yellow/Black, Goblin 380 Red/Black
wisconsinracer24 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Canomod breaks a ton of copyright rules, angry bird, monster....... the list goes on and on
Old 12-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe if the canomd canopies were superior you would have a leg to stand on...

The fitment is GARBAGE and the quality sucks... I have had 7 canopies in the past year and 4 of them cracked just from taking the canopy off... and they still want to charge an arm and a leg for it...
Old 12-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I reckon the only reason why sab dont want heliwow to makw the canopy is because sab do get any profit from them and thats also why cano mod canopys are so expensive because they do have a deal with sab in which they pay sab some $$
NevErSn0w is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

^ For sure they get a percentage

Fitment on my latest G500 canopy was crappy to say the least, someone must have had an off day with the cut off wheel when they trimmed mine and cut the vents
Old 12-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

ok...well 10 days after first contact and ordering...I got it today....heliWOW

Let me tell you...first..the tailboom is GF but is very well made and strong..not quite as strong as the CF but pretty damn close and should work NO problem..

second the boom had two holes for the bolts instead of a slot ...I haven't fit it yet but looks to be big enough to be able to tighten the belt just fine...(I can always make the holes a little bigger if need be...(sorry about the wrapper in the picture)

I am very impressed with the paint and finish...it is awesome....I think it is much better than any canomod canopy I ever had......I might order another one quick (just in case sab is able to stop them..)

But my thinking is they should dump canomod and go with heliwow...

Now to the pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gc4.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	470763   Click image for larger version

Name:	gc3.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	470764   Click image for larger version

Name:	gc2.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	470765   Click image for larger version

Name:	gc1.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	470766  
PTFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsinracer24 View Post
I like to little FEA image they threw in there. Good to see all the stress is induced right in the back of the block. I wonder what safety factor they design to and who actually designed the Carbon layout pattern to achieve the ultimate design. Not easy work to do in CAD simulations and not cheap either.......
Just an FYI, SAB is a composites company, so they fully understand carbon fiber layup and geometry.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you miss understood me or I worded my statement wrong but I really want to know what they designed to and who designed it. Composites are the future and I love seeing companies especially helicopter companies that I spend a lot of money with doing FEA and hopefully Fluid simulations on there parts. Not cheap and not easy work and it proves why a company like Heliwow shouldn't bother them if there putting in the time to make there product the best...... Canomods seems to be the weak link here with cracking, shipping prices and trimming/fitment. Competition should only sharpen the pencil which seems to have happened too

Post some pictures of that boom out of the bag and some weights if you don't mind please. The layup looks great through the bag lol
Old 12-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man even from the pics, the paint looks heads and shoulders above cono-crack and peel, I mean can-I-mod my canopy so it won't crack. Whoops. I got to lay off the red bulls.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Where were you talking about the slots. At the end of the tail boom the CF has the slots for belt adjustments.

The parts look great by the way.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

some more pictures of the boom....I'll try and weigh them a little later...

the canopy cut out around the main shaft is also cut a little larger than the stock one which makes it a bit easier to get on....but it does rub a little on the corner of the right aileron servo bracket ....

But I won't be able to fit the boom and canopy until after the holiday as it's a "gift" from the wife...

I still think for the price you can't beat it....the clear coat is amazingly shinny and smooth...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gc5.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	470804   Click image for larger version

Name:	gc6.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	470805   Click image for larger version

Name:	gc7.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	470806   Click image for larger version

Name:	gc8.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	470807  
PTFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsinracer24 View Post
I think you miss understood me or I worded my statement wrong but I really want to know what they designed to and who designed it. Composites are the future and I love seeing companies especially helicopter companies that I spend a lot of money with doing FEA and hopefully Fluid simulations on there parts. Not cheap and not easy work and it proves why a company like Heliwow shouldn't bother them if there putting in the time to make there product the best...... Canomods seems to be the weak link here with cracking, shipping prices and trimming/fitment. Competition should only sharpen the pencil which seems to have happened too
I'm not sure if you were replying to me since you didn't use the quote feature.
But in case you were... The designer/engineer for SAB is Enrico Bernabei. You will see him in many photos and at events like IRCHA. I cannot speak to "what he designed it to", but I do know he is very thorough as I have followed the development of the Goblin long before it was released in any size. SAB has many years of experience under their belt where composites are concerned. I'd bet Stefano probably has input into the design process as well.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTFlyer View Post
some more pictures of the boom....I'll try and weigh them a little later...

the canopy cut out around the main shaft is also cut a little larger than the stock one which makes it a bit easier to get on....but it does rub a little on the corner of the right aileron servo bracket ....

But I won't be able to fit the boom and canopy until after the holiday as it's a "gift" from the wife...

I still think for the price you can't beat it....the clear coat is amazingly shinny and smooth...
Thanks for the pics. You threw me off when you talked about adjusting the belt. that is done at the end of the tail not the beginning. I think the FG sab is the same way with two holes.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I think the FG sab is the same way with two holes.
FYI, SAB CF and FG both have the slot, not two holes.
akamullen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone seen these... they are sick!!!!....Especially the prices!!!!
http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/ga...k-Canopy-Store
Guiwee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in