Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Torx screws in the frame?

Just bought a used FB Copter X 250 that's never been flown, just bench tested. In the process of tearing it down and putting my own electronics in it, I find I don't have a hex wrench that fits the frame screws....looks like maybe they are Torx Head? Something I don't have anyway. My Whia tools are good, but only metric and imperial hex.

Since there are only a few frame screws, i'll get them out and replace them with socket head metric screws, but need to get them out 1st. I'm guessing that wrench must have been included in the kit, Got every size heli now, but haven't seen Torx heads in anything else.

Anyway, if someone verify its a Torx head,(60 yr old eyes) and tell me what size wrench I need, it would be muchappreciated.
sconel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I beleave they are t5 torx bit
Jim Hansen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hansen View Post
I beleave they are t5 torx bit
After looking closer, Torx are everywhere, so guess i'll visit the Wiha website and get a set.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I prefer the torx t5 screws in my HobbyKing gt 250. I have never stripped a head, but I have sheared some screws by using too much force.
jbilliter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilliter View Post
I prefer the torx t5 screws in my HobbyKing gt 250. I have never stripped a head, but I have sheared some screws by using too much force.
I've done the exact same thing on one of the tail grip links. But overall, I prefer the torx over allen screws also. They do not strip as easily.

Also, you can get a universal small electronics kut at Wal Mart for about $7-$8 that has a great number of different bits in it and has a torx bit in it that will fit the small screws on a 250.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't really mind that this heli has Torx. Remember thinking some time back that Torx looked like a better system all around, and wondered why nobody used them. 11 builds and 7 yrs later, and this is the 1st time I've seen Torx on anything. Hadnt even heard about anyone using Torx, so it threw me for a loop.

No problem....I've learned the lesson about buying cheap tools, and switched to Wiha tools around build 3, but all hex wrenches. Havent worn any out yet, so went online and ordered some Torx wrenches from them too. Kinda hurt a little to pay as much for the tools as the heli kit costs, but I'm hopefull we will see more Torx screws in the future.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kla912000 View Post
I've done the exact same thing on one of the tail grip links. But overall, I prefer the torx over allen screws also. They do not strip as easily..
I always use heat to loosen up the loctite on the HK factory tail grips before attempting to work on them. I think they use stronger stuff.
jbilliter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilliter View Post
I always use heat to loosen up the loctite on the HK factory tail grips before attempting to work on them. I think they use stronger stuff.
I normally use heat also to loosen up the loctite. I usually just hold a soldering iron on the screw for a bit until it is loose enough to get the screw out, but this time I was a bit impatient and while waiting for the soldering iron to heat up I tried to get the screw out and the head broke right off. Had to buy a whole new tail grip set cause there was no way I was getting the broken screw out. The HK 250 is just too small to try to drill out the screw without messing up something else.

Lesson learned, I guess.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

A t6 will fit the screws that come with the copterx kit much better. The driver that comes with the kit is too small.
zzyzx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in