Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate

Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Compass Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #61 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnzoo View Post
I too am cusious to hear from Mercuriell as to why he thinks this may have happened. This doesn't sound like normal performance from Turnigy's.

David
I guess it comes down to you get what you pay for - naturally I balance/discharge on timer <80% and all the usual things - my DN Lipos and Desire packs are still going strong after 50 cycles - I emailed Desire and asked if they could match Turnigy prices and they basically said no because of the quality of materials used. Way that I look at it Turnigy's are 30% of the price of top line packs so might as well get used to the idea of getting 30% usage out of them - they're still very fliable but the TDR doesn't pop along on them so enthusiastically as when they were new
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Another one takes to the air.

I flew my first two flights on my new 6HV today.
It is awesome!!!!!!!
I flew my Outrage 550 all last year which is a great heli, but this 6HV is just awesome.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0064.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	150687   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0065.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	150688   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0066.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	150689  
Greg B is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Really nice looking heli Greg!

Can I ask why you decided to go with the 600e tail servo mount instead of the frame mount?
RMG2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes you can ask.
The Turnigy batteries are a little on the heavy side. I mounted the servo on the boom to get the balance point correct. Also it gives me more room to mount the receiver inside the frame on the rear and more room to tuck the wires away. There still would have been room with the servo mounted on the frame though, but it would have been tight.

Greg
Old 04-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Yes you can ask.
The Turnigy batteries are a little on the heavy side. I mounted the servo on the boom to get the balance point correct. Also it gives me more room to mount the receiver inside the frame on the rear and more room to tuck the wires away. There still would have been room with the servo mounted on the frame though, but it would have been tight.

Greg
I fgured that was the reason. Just waiting for someone to confirm it. Seems all the test pilots told us it would balance with 2600-3300mah batts???

My 6HV isn't together but I hung all the components on it in about at their mounted locations to check balance and it did not look to me like the heli was gonna balance with the Turnigy 3000s.

Have ya noticed that most of the 3D flyers are all flying 2600s in their latest vids.?

Wish I had known what batts. ACTUALLY allow balance before I spent $350 on batts. that are to heavy!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG2 View Post
I fgured that was the reason. Just waiting for someone to confirm it. Seems all the test pilots told us it would balance with 2600-3300mah batts???

My 6HV isn't together but I hung all the components on it in about at their mounted locations to check balance and it did not look to me like the heli was gonna balance with the Turnigy 3000s.

Have ya noticed that most of the 3D flyers are all flying 2600s in their latest vids.?

Wish I had known what batts. ACTUALLY allow balance before I spent $350 on batts. that are to heavy!
where did you mount your esc? if you mount it closer to the back, it will help you with balance.
Prostarhobby.com
Dave Ketelhut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

RMG2
I hear ya, I would have bought different batteries if I had it to do over again. Also did you notice looking at the pictures that I notched the front of the frame so that I could get the batteries to slide back a little more. The canopy would hardly fit before I did this. The front corners of the battery were hitting the canopy causing it to bulge out.

Greg
Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
RMG2
I hear ya, I would have bought different batteries if I had it to do over again. Also did you notice looking at the pictures that I notched the front of the frame so that I could get the batteries to slide back a little more. The canopy would hardly fit before I did this. The front corners of the battery were hitting the canopy causing it to bulge out.

Greg
I didn't notice that in your pics. but Mercuriell had suggested that same idea to me. I guess I'll get the Dremel and sanding block out and cut out a little of the frame. Either that or put my new, still in the boxes batts. on the classifieds???

David I have the ESC as far back as the frame allow with the motor leads swinging around and entering the frame from the rear. Can't get it any further rearward. Also have the BEC mid on opposite side with RX rear on that same side.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

She's here!

Thank you Nankin

Pictures to follow
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello all you 6HV builders, I have a quickie.

My question is, should I break down the kits bearings and re-pack them with grease? Or can I just fly the bearings the way that they are?

Also, I pulled the mixing arms of my kit and felt that one of the bearings was a bit stiff/notchy. Any advice?

Thanks in advance Cullen
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Cullen,

it's enough when you grease the thrustbearings in the main- and tailbladeholders !

Grtz,
Dirk
Dflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Dirk.

By the way, does Grtz by any chance mean thanks in Flemish?

Cullen

PS I've been to Bruge and Liège while studying French in Europe.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Grtz is like short for greatings or in Flemish we say "groeten"
Old 04-16-2010, 02:46 AM   #74 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonseize View Post
Hello all you 6HV builders, I have a quickie.

My question is, should I break down the kits bearings and re-pack them with grease? Or can I just fly the bearings the way that they are?

Also, I pulled the mixing arms of my kit and felt that one of the bearings was a bit stiff/notchy. Any advice?

Thanks in advance Cullen
No need to re-lube the main grip bearings - just clean up and Loctite in the spindle bol;ts. wrt the mixer arm it may be a bit tight so worth just backing off the bolt a bit and see if that frees it up
Old 04-16-2010, 03:41 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Cullen,

it's just like "Flexis" explained ! Nice to hear you have been to Brugge, i live only 4 km away from this nice historic city !!

John tells not to lube the bearings in the main grip, but it never hurts to look if the thrustbearings are lubed, mine weren't ! But maybe that was because my kit was a testkit

Grtz,
Dirk
Dflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 04:16 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

when i checked/degreased/locktited the spindle shaft i also took a look at the thrust bearings and they were well greased in my case.
www.rs-modelstore.be follow us on facebook !
flybar-les is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the help so far guys. As I was assembling my heli last night (the build vids came in hand by the way, especially w/ the main shaft collar retainer), I was a bit surprised at the amount of resistance in the autorotation gear. I have only worked with Align helis and have never used a belt drive aut gear and though it should spin freer. Are yours moving a bit stiffly? Will this loosen after the first few flights? Also, this isn't a belt tension issue, I set that by pulling on the boom only until the tail gear would no longer slip on the belt as I turned the tail rotor and held the main shaft in place.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Are yours moving a bit stiffly? Will this loosen after the first few flights? Also, this isn't a belt tension issue, I set that by pulling on the boom only until the tail gear would no longer slip on the belt as I turned the tail rotor and held the main shaft in place."

The belt will be a bit stiff when brand new. It will free up remarkably within a few flights.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
The belt will be a bit stiff when brand new. It will free up remarkably within a few flights.
Is this due to the belt actually becoming more flexible or because the bearings move more freely. As far as I can tell by feel, the "resistance" that I feel is coming from the bearings trying to roll in the heavy grease they are packed in AND from any added tension on the belt.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonseize View Post
Is this due to the belt actually becoming more flexible or because the bearings move more freely. As far as I can tell by feel, the "resistance" that I feel is coming from the bearings trying to roll in the heavy grease they are packed in AND from any added tension on the belt.
When I pulled the gear assembly apart I sprayed out that grease with electric motor cleaner and dryed with an air compressor. Then I relubed the bearing with a few drops of 30wt. motor oil like I always use on other helis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in