Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail shaft left to right movement, normal?

Hey guys with the tail of the 250 facing you does your tail shaft (the shaft the belt drives and tail rotor sits on) move from left to right by around .5 mm? Are my bearings flogged or is this normal? I have had a few 250's in my time but font remember if it used to do this?
helisrmylife is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like bearings may be gone
03svtsnakevert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

mine does this, and I just recently ordered a new one that came in and does the same out of the box.

I was thinking about grinding down the tail case so that it clamps down on the shaft more or maybe putting in some spacers next to the bearings to stop it from doing it.
discl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I took the tail apart and fitted new bearings, i think they are bearings from another part on the 450 i also own, and they are perfect nice and snug. If it is the align standard any wonder some people have tail issues.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No movement maybe .001 on 4 trex 250'S
Old 10-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
dze
Registered Users

its normal to have detectable play there but not excessive. The tail will stay 'loaded' except in a heavy left rudder input and it will not cause tail problems. What could be a problem is shot bearings and about the only way to tell is disassemble the tail, run a shaft through them, and check that theyre smooth and free .. if there happens to be extra play, and .5mm is too much imo, what you can do is take the rear 'cross-support' bar and lightly sand the ends down until the play is REDUCED .. i wouldnt try to take ALL the play out and make it solid ... detectable play is where i want it on ANY bearing, mains, ect . Zero play will cause excessive drag and cause problems not solve them imo ..
dze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

not sure if I misread helisrmylife's original question but the movement in my tailshaft is from the shaft sliding back and forth through the race in the bearing, it's not an up/down type problem caused by worn bearings where the race wobbles etc.

It seems to be caused by the tail cage being a little too wide for the tail shaft which causes the shaft to move around inside it, the bearings dont seem to have much play at all from what I can see.

I've got two tail cages which have this problem (one old, one brand new) and an old trex 250se cage plus a microheli one which both dont have the problem.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I shim my tails if I find this behaviour.
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverse View Post
+1 on this...This is what I do....It usually only takes one shim to get acceptable play....
mtuccio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverse View Post
Wheres a good place in Australia to buy such small washers/shims from? QuikUK/Gforce only seem to have large diameter/thickness washers/shims.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not sure mate, I normally scour my spares/fasteners/washers container until I find one that fits.
I'll see if I have any spares later.
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by discl View Post
not sure if I misread helisrmylife's original question but the movement in my tailshaft is from the shaft sliding back and forth through the race in the bearing, it's not an up/down type problem caused by worn bearings where the race wobbles etc.

It seems to be caused by the tail cage being a little too wide for the tail shaft which causes the shaft to move around inside it, the bearings dont seem to have much play at all from what I can see.

I've got two tail cages which have this problem (one old, one brand new) and an old trex 250se cage plus a microheli one which both dont have the problem.
Yes the left to right in the tail cage was my drama. Thanks for all the responses guys. New bearings fixed it, very little play if any now. Flies beautiful now.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in