Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > R/C Related Electronics DIY

R/C Related Electronics DIY DIY R/C Electronics for tinkerers and the budget minded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Bench mounted 12V power supply

I've been off this week and thought it would be a good time to clean up my bench.

Well... I didn't get around to that yet but I did add a bench test PSU

I wanted a 12v power supply for testing and setup, I wanted it switched because setting up a lot of electronics includes trying to hold a bunch of small buttons while plugging in the pack with your other spare finger. I also wanted it easy to get at, but taking up as little bench surface as possible.

So, this was about a half hour worth of work. I run a data center, so old server PSUs are readily available. My favorite is one I 'harvest' from a line of IBM servers that just went end of life. The servers are decommissioned, but are still perfectly good. I have about a dozen of these, they have a single +12V rail at 42A, and a little noisy. Great for charging but the fan noise is distracting for the bench.

I had a Dell server PSU that gives 18A on the +12V and 20A on the +5V. It's also easy to wire up, no pins to map out to get the thing 'hot', simply snip the green wire and ground it. It's also pretty quiet, fan noise is enough to know its on, but not distracting.

First I wanted the AC switched to the PSU, mounted a receptical to the under side of the bench and brought a switch to the front. This switch also lights up to let me know the PSU is on 'standby',and will remind me that I left it on.

The PSU I isolated the different rails from one plug, added Deans to the +5, and +12 and the green/ground. This way I can remove the PSU if I have to. I don't have immediate plans for the +5, but what the heck. I also dialed the pots inside the PSU to give me 12.00V and 5.00V on my Fluke.

I grabbed a small project box and put in a set of heavy banana jacks, and a toggle switch. The switch is a good size that won't get bumped on, but is easy enough to turn on with my little finger. This toggle grounds the green power on line so the PSU comes on.

Finally a Deans with a nice long lead and some banana plugs so I've got some room to move and not teathered too bad.

Done, good limitless clean 12.00V to the bench, and if I find a need for 5.00 or 3.3 its there and waiting. All I have to do now is mount the PSU out of the way.

Now when I do setup, I plug in the line to the heli and switch it on and off when needed. No more trying to plug in a set of Deans between my thumb and little finger while holding a little recessed button with a paper clip between my teeth!

But I still haven't cleaned up my bench so I can actually work on it

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325776334.326048.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	278277   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325776349.445514.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	278278   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325776364.828717.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	278279  
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice find!

I need something like that.

Alan KM6VV
KM6VV is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in