Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just had a chance to fly my heli again today after setup and this tuning process is just rock solid. In fact the heli felt so much better and so much more ready for cock and lock maneuvers that I ended up stripping a tooth on my maingear due to feeling more comfortable letting 'er rip!
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
Over 1,000 views and no one has objected to the steps outlined in the "guide". Therefore it will be stuck!
'bout time.

The benefit of following this set up guide is that you learn the ins and outs of this unit. Grasping an understanding of what needs to be adjusted just by observing flight characteristics decreases frustration levels ten fold.
Helico-pteron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey nwmtech,

I appreciated ur job and time,
I already have another post in this thread about this issue, but i tought nothing to loose to post here again.

I just got the MB, i have no any previous experience with it, my other 2 birds have mini v.

Originally i got this MB to use in my mini protos which im building now, but i tought it would be a good idea to try it in my 450 pro which had the mini v,
This way i could try two different units in the same heli and compare them.
Any way long story short
I got the cyclic pretty much dialed,
The tail authority during hover , hard climbouts and tight maneuvers is perfect.
But piroueting while traveling the heli in any direction is disaster
Against the wind the tail almost stops and then spins like a sling shot with the wind.

I have the parameter D at the highest point steady blue light.

By the way the tail servo is jr 3500

Wat is the best center to ball distance on the tail servo?

Thank you
aewin likes this.
invertsick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Oh geez... you know how long it's been since I've flown a 450? LOL. I'll help with what I can but honestly I'm not the expert here. If memory serves me right servo should be at about 12mm but don't quote me on that. It shouldn't need to be any different than the stock 450Pro distance with the Align horn on the 520 servo. Maybe someone can confirm that for you as I don't have a Pro anymore. What mounting tape are you using? What tail blades? Are you using TX mode or one of the preset flying styles? What's your ATV's and Expo settings?
nwmtech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmtech View Post
Oh geez... you know how long it's been since I've flown a 450? LOL. I'll help with what I can but honestly I'm not the expert here. If memory serves me right servo should be at about 12mm but don't quote me on that. It shouldn't need to be any different than the stock 450Pro distance with the Align horn on the 520 servo. Maybe someone can confirm that for you as I don't have a Pro anymore. What mounting tape are you using? What tail blades? Are you using TX mode or one of the preset flying styles? What's your ATV's and Expo settings?
Mounting tape : stock beast x tape hallow in the middle

Tail blades : kbdd 61mm which i always had with mini v

Flying style : expert from preset list

Travel : 100% on cyclic and i have dual rate on tail three position switch 100-110-120 %

No expo on anything

Thank you
Old 03-03-2011, 06:36 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sounds like your mechanical gain is too low. Move the ball out one hole and try that. Been years since I flew a 450 myself, but the tail on those can be a pita.

What are your rudder EPAs?
Helico-pteron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertsick View Post
I have the parameter D at the highest point steady blue light.

By the way the tail servo is jr 3500
As I mentioned in my reply to you the the other thread, that's not normal. You should not have to run parameter D at the highest point...

Let's start with the basics. What settings did you choose for your tail servo? The 3500G should be blue 1520 µs for setup menu C, red 270 Hz for setup menu D.

Next is the center position. Servo arm at 90? Slider centered?

Setup menu D. Full travel in both directions? Remove the link from the servo. Any binding at full travel?
What about the tail grip bearings? Pull out on them and rotate the grips. Any binding?

Something isn't right, that's for sure. The piro consistency in FFF is remarkable on my Mini Protos. Check around the 4:50 point in my video here to see a couple of examples. I wasn't in full FFF, but the results are the same when I am.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyAfUo3_LVs[/ame]
Old 03-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Alright... looks like we're getting some collective help from others here too. Awesome! A couple things stick out. #1 unless you've got a strap down tight on the MB then I would personally ditch the MB tape and run a single layer of the 3M gray or 3M 4010 clear tape. #2 Next I always advise to run it in TX mode and not in any of the presets. I vaguely remember hearing of someone that had a problem with piro consistency that was solved by going into TX mode. I would change those then start all the way over on the tail setup/tuning and go through the tuning process and order I outlined in my guide.

KBDD's were a bit soft for my taste on my pro but they won't cause any problems. What distance is your servo ball at?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Alright... looks like we're getting some collective help from others here too. Awesome! A couple things stick out. #1 unless you've got a strap down tight on the MB then I would personally ditch the MB tape and run a single layer of the 3M gray or 3M 4010 clear tape. #2 Next I always advise to run it in TX mode and not in any of the presets. I vaguely remember hearing of someone that had a problem with piro consistency that was solved by going into TX mode. I would change those then start all the way over on the tail setup/tuning and go through the tuning process and order I outlined in my guide.

KBDD's were a bit soft for my taste on my pro but they won't cause any problems. What distance is your servo ball at?

i need to check the ball distance,
did you mean i use tx mode instead of parameter D presets?
how does that work?
how can i set that from my tx?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
how does that work?
I believe it's discussed in this thread: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=273397

use dual rates, not endpoints, so you can flip between settings with a switch.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
how does that work?
No, Paramter [B] Control Behavior. Take that out of extreme and run transmitter mode. Paramter [D] Tail HeadingLock Gain you'll want to start at the purple light. I haven't messed with Paramter [D] in the "transmitter" mode yet as I have zero desire to do blinding piros.

When Paramter [B] is set to "transmitter" mode your flip rates, roll rates, expo and piro speed will all be done via the transmitter by changing their respective ATV values. The preset control behaviors effect everything listed above and when you try and add any expo or change your ATV's/Dual rates it can pile on top of the presets and start to cause problems, especially in the tail. In my personal opinion the whole control behavior option has created more problems than it's done good because of this exact reason so that's why I always recommend to just run it in transmitter mode
Old 03-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok guys,

first I want to thank everyone who tried to help.
But sorry I tried everything you said and everything I could but it didnt work.

My MB is already in the "for sale" section.
going back to my Mini V

Sergio
Old 03-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No worries. Different things work better for different folks. That's the nicest part about having choices like we do now. Enjoy, and happy flying!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey thanks for putting this together , had my maiden yesterday on my Logo500 , sweeet , I only have 2 batteries so did not get to far in the fine tuning , I think I got the tail setup...
Just a few coments:
you talk a lot about EXPO but you don't say - or + expo big difference there , for a novice at FBL I wonder if it would be better to just leave the EXPO talk out of it all together!!! and focus on the MB options wich is plenty... I watched Marcel great video and he does not talk about EXPO ...and still get he's bird to fly fantastic .

cheers
Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Expo is, actually, for those who find stick being too sensitive around the middle. BTW different transmitters see expo + or - differently. I would say it is + expo - something that makes changes around of the middle of the sticks (cyclics) less sensitive and then making them more sensitive near the ends...

If we leave the expo talk out of the equation then it'll be addressing mostly those who find it 'just right' while rest of us would struggle with over sensitive helicopters
clicky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok I did some more reading on here, I did not realize you either use the transmitter or a preset parameter ... now it makes sense...
I guess I don't really know how to use D R , I know what EXPO does , I actually want my bird more responssive so is the DR what I should change ?
thanks
Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliecoeur13 View Post
Ok I did some more reading on here, I did not realize you either use the transmitter or a preset parameter ... now it makes sense...
I guess I don't really know how to use D R , I know what EXPO does , I actually want my bird more responssive so is the DR what I should change ?
thanks
DR is one way to set your endpoints in the transmitter. If the Beast is set to "transmitter mode" that will affect its roll, flip, and rudder response limits, and naturally the responsiveness through the entire range of stick travel.

But unlike setting endpoints in the travel menu, you can assign dual rates to a switch or switches (I have AIL and ELEV on one switch, rudder on another), so you can program a couple different sets of endpoints using DR, and flip between them in flight to compare how you like them.

Both DR and travel adjust can benefit from setting expo. At least on my DX8, I can set different expo for each DR setting, so I can have more expo when I use greater range, to get the feel near center stick to be more or less the same no matter which switch position I select to control endpoints.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

without setting to transmitter mode i found tru a member here that you can set the pitch curve to an "S" curve...so if set the mid point to have some kind of pitch can i increase the point in the middle of the curve in normal mode??
Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
#1 unless you've got a strap down tight on the MB then I would personally ditch the MB tape and run a single layer of the 3M gray or 3M 4010 clear tape.
I'm using the stock gray tape and its working okay but I'm scared to go to a hard mount. I don't know why but just need to do it. Its on the fusion 50 and so far its flying great but I need to tune it.

I had it setup on defualts but then set up TX mode and got my flip/roll rate where I like it. It feels dull around center stick but I'm running like 15% expo where as on my 450pro flybar (which I'm so used to flying) I run no expo except a little on the rudder. So its super responsive but I can still fly it precisly. I'm just being oversafe since this is my first fbl experience and its a new large heli. I flew a 600n all last year with the 450pro so I do remember what a large bird is supposed to feel like and what they can do compared to a 450.

I know I can get it tuned to how I like it with this guide, the manual, and a day at the field. Then afterward I'll have a better understanding of what each dial and perameter does.
HugoCraft is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just go for it. Seriously... I run both my nitros on two layers of the clear 3M with zero vibe issues. From there, just tune and enjoy. How are you liking the Fusion?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in