Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Would it be alright to

Would it be alright to leave my Lipo batteries uncharged after using them on my RC Helicopter for a few days? I think this would be better than leaving them laying around fully charged. I know the best is to have them laying around after being storage charged, but sometimes I find myself in the situation where after using my batteries for a full cycle I leave them laying around uncharged for a few days. Is this harmful to the batteries? Or should I get in the habit of always leave them laying around with 3.8vs per cell ( storage charged )
Usman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Atleast put them on storage charge. Or at minumim, charge them for about 5 minutes at 1C.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I time all my flights so my lipos come down around 3.7-3.8v/cell.. that way when I am done flying they are at storage level and good for days/weeks/months if necessary.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the responses. You know the funny thing is that I checked my batteries when I got done using them and they are reading 3.7 some volts per cell.
I also time my flights. I fly the Blade4503D with the DX6i. It seems like after 6 minutes or when my batteries reach about 3.76 volts per cell.....the heli begins to power down. I wonder why this is. This would happen before I would time my flights also. At that point it seems like there is no juice left to power the bird. But I figure that would happen closer to 3.2 volts.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Would it be alright to

Under a load, things change. 3.7V at rest will drop significantly when flying. Especially if they are weak packs (old, cheap, low C- rating, etc).

Storage is preferred, but my understanding is you are ok at 3.75V or similar.

Fully charged is bad. And you don't want to let them self- discharge low. But that process is so slow (months, at least) that I wouldn't worry about it much.

Sent using Tapatalk.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the input !
Old 02-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Fully charged is bad. And you don't want to let them self- discharge low. But that process is so slow (months, at least) that I wouldn't worry about it much.
Yup, i left a pack that started at 3.74V/cell for a year. Checked it and it was down to 3.71V/cell. LiPos have no significant self discharge AFAIK.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the input. At this time just to be safe i'll leave the batteries at their 3.7 some volts per cell after using them, then when I'm ready to use them i'll charge them up to full.
Some other things in regards to my 3S Lipo batteries is that i'm unsure about is when I go to charge them ( and I always balance charge them ) they charge up and when they approach 12.58 volts-almost fully charged, my charger begins to charge them at a very slow rate, like 0.1amps....and then my charger (Hitec X4 AC) won't display "charge full" after like 30 minutes like this. This even takes place with some fairly new batteries of mine. What does that mean and why might this be going on? I guess its ok but it gets annoying when I have to wait about 30min to have the piece of mind that they are fully charged.
The last thing is that I found myself with a few batteries that I had to cut the connectors off a few times and the wires are now shorter than I'd like. Would it be perfectly fine to get new wire of the same gauge and to solder on the new wires with the ones existing on the battery so I have the wire length to my desirable liking?
Thanks in advance !
Old 02-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I forgot one more thing, and that is that I have a Thunder Power 3S lipo battery that I've had for years and barely used because I was too busy working and didn't have time for the hobby. It say on my shelf for a while. I'm finding that I can't balance charge it to full 12.60 volts. My charger stops charging it and reads "full" at 11.46volts. And that is when I try to charge it at .1amps. When I try to balance charge it the way I do with all my other 3S lipo batteries at 1.8amps the charger reads "cell voltage low". Is this battery dead and no good? Thanks !
Old 02-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usman View Post
Is this battery dead and no good? Thanks !
Sounds like it to me. Seems one of the cells may be dead, what are the individual cell voltages?
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

All three cell voltages are 3.84
Old 02-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is what the voltage rounds off to.....of course the thousand decimal place voltage is different for all 3 cells....but all 3 cells read 3.84 volts
Old 02-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

At 11.46 the packs are not in a low voltage state. Might have defective charger. What charger are you using?
AMA #1039539
ddj74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in