Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR

mSR Blade (eFlite) Micro SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2016, 06:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default mSR #2 Has Finally Bit the Dust

Finally finished repairing my 2nd mSR (I have two) and when I spooled it up, it went into the death spin: heli spins like a top that no amount of trim will correct (this is not TBE). None of my repairs involved the tail, but I checked the tail rotor could spin freely by hand anyway, and then checked everything else as well: level swash, and no binding or excessive slop in the links.

The heli had been sitting a little while with a bent servo rod and broken canopy pin. I replaced the bent servo rod, and used a combo of thick CA and Gorilla Glue to reattach the broken canopy pin as a temporary ghetto fix, but I think the crash that was hard enough to bend the servo and break the canopy pin might have also damaged the gyro on the 5-in-1 board.

Since I have 2 mSRs and the 5-in-1 is a $60 replacement part, I think I'm just going to cannibalize this one for spare parts for my other mSR. I bought both about 3 years ago, when I was still learning to fly helis, so I definitely got my money's worth out of it: over 300 flights, combined, on these two helis and a lot of knowledge gained over the years in tearing them down to troubleshoot and repair. And its still one of my favourite helis: if it were my only mSR, I'd probably eat the cost of a new 5-in-1.
Blade Scraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Scraper View Post
Finally finished repairing my 2nd mSR (I have two) and when I spooled it up, it went into the death spin: heli spins like a top that no amount of trim will correct (this is not TBE). None of my repairs involved the tail, but I checked the tail rotor could spin freely by hand anyway, and then checked everything else as well: level swash, and no binding or excessive slop in the links.

The heli had been sitting a little while with a bent servo rod and broken canopy pin. I replaced the bent servo rod, and used a combo of thick CA and Gorilla Glue to reattach the broken canopy pin as a temporary ghetto fix, but I think the crash that was hard enough to bend the servo and break the canopy pin might have also damaged the gyro on the 5-in-1 board.

Since I have 2 mSRs and the 5-in-1 is a $60 replacement part, I think I'm just going to cannibalize this one for spare parts for my other mSR. I bought both about 3 years ago, when I was still learning to fly helis, so I definitely got my money's worth out of it: over 300 flights, combined, on these two helis and a lot of knowledge gained over the years in tearing them down to troubleshoot and repair. And its still one of my favourite helis: if it were my only mSR, I'd probably eat the cost of a new 5-in-1.
Check that the guide pin on the swashplate is in between the two goal posts on the frame! If that is ok, check that the swashplate hasn't separated. Use the red tool to fix it.

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2016, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
Check that the guide pin on the swashplate is in between the two goal posts on the frame! If that is ok, check that the swashplate hasn't separated. Use the red tool to fix it.
Those were two of the first things I thought to check. Both checked out fine, but later, after a second look, I noticed some vertical play on the feathering shaft that was enough for the gear to slip on and off the pinion. I think I've had that problem before, I know I had it on my nCPS before I fixed that, but the symptom was the opposite: the pinion would spin, but since it wasn't connecting to the main gear, you'd just hear the motor whine but the mains wouldn't spin.

Mine will go as high as you give it throttle, but it'll spin like a top the whole time (high speed piro) and trim has no effect. The tail rotor is straight, spins freely by hand and under throttle, and there is lots of lift but no tail hold at all. I think the gyro is damaged, but to rule out a worn out tail motor that still spins the rotor, I'll order a tail motor and boom (I think they are shipped so the wires and pre-threaded through the hollow boom) from the US next week.

I need a couple other mSR parts, like spare blade grips, spindle and o-rings set (lose the brass o-rings every time the blades grips break and have none left), so I'll combine it into that order. I can only find mSR parts stocked in the US, but shipping is cheap (USPS->Canada Post) if slow - 2
to three weeks but only $2 flat rate).

At least I still have my other mSR still to fly in the meantime, plus my nCPS now that I have the replacement servo it needed.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Scraper View Post
Those were two of the first things I thought to check. Both checked out fine, but later, after a second look, I noticed some vertical play on the feathering shaft that was enough for the gear to slip on and off the pinion. I think I've had that problem before, I know I had it on my nCPS before I fixed that, but the symptom was the opposite: the pinion would spin, but since it wasn't connecting to the main gear, you'd just hear the motor whine but the mains wouldn't spin.

Mine will go as high as you give it throttle, but it'll spin like a top the whole time (high speed piro) and trim has no effect. The tail rotor is straight, spins freely by hand and under throttle, and there is lots of lift but no tail hold at all. I think the gyro is damaged, but to rule out a worn out tail motor that still spins the rotor, I'll order a tail motor and boom (I think they are shipped so the wires and pre-threaded through the hollow boom) from the US next week.

I need a couple other mSR parts, like spare blade grips, spindle and o-rings set (lose the brass o-rings every time the blades grips break and have none left), so I'll combine it into that order. I can only find mSR parts stocked in the US, but shipping is cheap (USPS->Canada Post) if slow - 2
to three weeks but only $2 flat rate).

At least I still have my other mSR still to fly in the meantime, plus my nCPS now that I have the replacement servo it needed.
You either have the motor plug on the tail motor on backwards, or need a whole new tail. Green wire on the inside, red on the outboard side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7929607558_943440c5e9_b.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	643219  

Old 03-27-2016, 02:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
You either have the motor plug on the tail motor on backwards, or need a whole new tail. Green wire on the inside, red on the outboard side.
The tail motor has never been unplugged to have been plugged back in wrong. I think it possible the tail motor may be producing enough power to turn the rotor but not enough to hold the tail, or the gyro on the 5-in-1 is damaged. I'll look over the PCB board for damage. Next to the tail motor being the culprit, a problem I could fix with just a soldering iron would be best case scenario I think.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you ever had the tail rotor off?

Check this out....

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...3418&highlight

Old 03-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting thread. I've had my tail rotor off many times to straighten or replace it. It turns freely, the motor spools and it spins, but the heli simply goes into an uncontrolled high speed piro as soon as its throttled up. I think I damaged the gyro on the 5-in-1.

Both helis were crashed dozens of times, the downed one has taken the hardest crash with the most damage taken in one crash: force great enough to bend the servo rod and break the canopy pin may have transferred enough remaining force to damage the gyro on the 5-in-1.

I have 2 of them. With 2, and the price of a new 5-in-1, I will use it for parts for the other mSR. If the other heli ever sustains a damaged 5-in-1 I will replace the board then, as I still like this heli enough to want to keep one flyable. Its very rare that I crash that heli these days.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey bladescraper you got your money worth out of that one for sure lol. Heck you can buy a new one for what the board cost. I keep checking on ebay once in awhile they will have a company on there that will sale them pretty darn cheap. About a year ago I bought 2 boards because they had them on sale for 25 bucks a piece but haven't found them lately. But I keep looking.
sooners is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I definitely got my money's worth out of them and then some! I have quite a few spare parts too, so I'm going to order new main and tail rotors and rebuild the one that's still flyable where both saw many flights and crashes. As well as the nCPS flies indoors, I still have a soft spot for the mSR.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya I know what you mean I sure fly mine a lot in the winter months for something to do. I try and keep them both like new have been lucky so far.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I may try and resurrect it from the dead before winter returns. With flying season so close, they've been set aside for now while I've been adding other helis and doing minor upgrades on a couple. After my recent spending on a few upgrades to the 180 CFX, a new board for the mSR is going to look pretty cheap later.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Keep your eye on ebay once in awhile they will come up pretty cheap. It is usually a company out of hong kong I believe that is where I got my 2 boards. 25.00 a piece I got the last 2 I got lucky. There is also a guy on ebay that has a business and he will rebuild them for about 25.00 don't know if he still advertises on ebay or not actually haven't looked for awhile.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can relate to some of these posts. I just spent almost $40 to repair my MSR. The canopy retaining pins broke due to many encounters with a wall I ordered a new main motor, a complete tail rotor assembly and a spare tail rotor blade. Only installed the frame and will keep the motors for spares as this little heli has over 200 flights and those motors have to go sometime. Flying great again in the house as we have nothing but wind and rain outside
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in