Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 300X Charging requirements

For some reason I'm really excited about the 300X, I've only had an mCPx for about a month but an looking forward to a bigger bird.

I've only had micros and have used the chargers that came with them, I understand the 300X will have a multicell lipo battery and wont come with a charger.

I don't intend to get into 600's or 700 as I only fly in my back yard, so I don't think I will need a 100 amp setup.

What are your thoughts on a 106B and a PC ATX power supply? Any other suggestions?

BTW, when is the 300X going to get it's own section?
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 106b+ and absolutely love it. 10 amp max, but if you're sticking to smaller batteries that should be fine.
phobos82 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 300X WILL come with a charger, but it won't be good for parallel charging. If you're going to charge in parallel, make sure the power supply has enough juice (watts and amps) to power up the 106B. I currently own a 206B and a PC350 PS. This combo is good enough to charge six 6S 3000 mAh cells at 1C for my T500. I should be fine charging my 3S 1300 mAh cells at 3C for my 300X.

I think the 300X will have its own section once it's out and many obsessed guys like you and me start posting like crazy
Chep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Someone from HH told me the SR power supply will work ok, but the charge time will be longer! (Patiently waiting for my pre-ordered 300 X to arrive.)
Skapr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ahh, I see it does come with a DC charger, you will need a power supply at least.

Looks like a good opportunity to build a nice charging station for 8 mCPx batteries and ~4 300X batteries.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use a 350W PS and a 208B for charging 6 packs at a time in parallel.

The image below is with 2200's for my 450.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

With a setup like that, if you charged multi cell batteries sometimes, and other times single cell, do you have to change any settings for the different batteries, or just plug them in and charge? No way to charge both simultaneously right?

Wondering if you can make a mistake and accidentally mischarge a battery.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Manx_Maniac View Post
With a setup like that, if you charged multi cell batteries sometimes, and other times single cell, do you have to change any settings for the different batteries, or just plug them in and charge? No way to charge both simultaneously right?

Wondering if you can make a mistake and accidentally mischarge a battery.
Yep, you have to change the settings depending on the cell count and the number of packs you're charging.

You can save profiles, though, so it makes it easy to switch between the different setups. Personally, I just dial in the numbers each time, it becomes pretty easy after you've done it for awhile.

You can't charge packs with different cell counts at the same time, but you can use the same charger.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I looks like a nice charger, did some reading on it at Ichargers website. Looks like the I106 would be fine for the 300X unless I wanted to charge a $hitload of batteries.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I looks like a nice charger, did some reading on it at Ichargers website. Looks like the I106 would be fine for the 300X unless I wanted to charge a $hitload of batteries.
Typically you charge up to 6 packs at a time, because thats how the harnesses are made (6 outputs).

With the 208B, you can charge at a higher C rating than a 106B because it can handle more input/output.

Assuming you're charging 1300 mAh packs for the 300, with the 106B you'll be able to charge a little over 1C, with the 208B you can charge around 2.5C. That means the 208B is capable of finishing 6 packs around 2.5 times as fast the 106B.

But the 106B would definitely be a step up from the stock chargeing set up

ProgressiveRC (Dave) is great to work with, by the way... progressiverc.com
Old 03-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydekay View Post

Assuming you're charging 1300 mAh packs for the 300, with the 106B you'll be able to charge a little over 1C, with the 208B you can charge around 2.5C. That means the 208B is capable of finishing 6 packs around 2.5 times as fast the 106B.
Don't forget...you can always charge less packs at higher rate too. If you were to go with only charging 3 packs at a time you could charge them at close to 3C.....(which is probably higher than you'd need to be charging them anyway).
Lottomunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottomunch View Post
Don't forget...you can always charge less packs at higher rate too. If you were to go with only charging 3 packs at a time you could charge them at close to 3C.....(which is probably higher than you'd need to be charging them anyway).
True, its all about give and take.

More power = faster charging of more packs.

Personally, I don't like to go above 2C very often. When I have time, I charge at 1C.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
For some reason I'm really excited about the 300X, I've only had an mCPx for about a month but an looking forward to a bigger bird.

I've only had micros and have used the chargers that came with them, I understand the 300X will have a multicell lipo battery and wont come with a charger.

I don't intend to get into 600's or 700 as I only fly in my back yard, so I don't think I will need a 100 amp setup.

What are your thoughts on a 106B and a PC ATX power supply? Any other suggestions?

BTW, when is the 300X going to get it's own section?
Look for a 10amp (100watt) charger, and your ATX power supply will work just great. I have the skycharger 6200 (200watt) charger for only $50, about the same price as the smaller 5amp chargers.

This and parallel charge cables, and you'll be able to charge all of your 300x batteries at one time.
InFocus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just want to add one thing to think about. This isn't to scare anyone, but is worth a thought.

Of the fires I've seen related to chargers, they've all had something in common - cheap chinese chargers. Yeah they're probably all 'made' there, but you know the ones...they cost a fraction of the iCharger stuff.

So, just use caution when making your choice. Not saying anything will happen, and always keep an eye on your charger while charging.

I can say that I've never heard a bad thing about the iCharger stuff, and have personally had great luck with it. I think they even offer some kits now...

Yep - here is a link: http://www.progressiverc.com/chargers/charger-combos

This stuff is a lot cheaper than even a few years ago when I got into heli stuff. So, my recommendation would be to buy a decent charger setup (maybe even something you can grow into).

For you new guys, I can almost guarantee you'll end up having larger helis down the road if you stick with the hobby.

My motto is to buy better, once. Rather than twice - budget permitting of course.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chep View Post
The 300X WILL come with a charger, but it won't be good for parallel charging. If you're going to charge in parallel, make sure the power supply has enough juice (watts and amps) to power up the 106B. I currently own a 206B and a PC350 PS. This combo is good enough to charge six 6S 3000 mAh cells at 1C for my T500. I should be fine charging my 3S 1300 mAh cells at 3C for my 300X.

I think the 300X will have its own section once it's out and many obsessed guys like you and me start posting like crazy
I just ordered the same charging setup with their parallel board.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in