Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #141 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is anybody just tapping into the wire harness that leads from the power switch board to the main board?
The wires are labeled on both boards. It seems like it would be easier to simply splice into the 2 wires (gnd and pwr) than to solder onto the board. I feel safer splicing wires into a jumper that is easily replaceable than taking the chance of messing up a board. I have OK skills with the soldering pencil but any board solders still look a bit rough.
You could use the original HK harness after cutting all but #2 and 3 ,to allow for disconnect.

Think I will try this tomorrow if I don't hear any reasons not to. Will post pictures unless disaster strikes.
Thanks to all for the great info here.
Jason
jwright1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #142 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'll try to help here with whatever knowledge of limitation I have..lol

@jwright1
The tute followed the original which tapped from the board. But I'm sure you could even tap from the small connection that carries the power from the battery holder. The 2 wires are the power wires so as long as you can get power to them, it'll still work. I'm sure you can solder to a spliced wire from the battery compartment.

@born ready
Is the ribbon cable that connects the LCD display put in straight and fits snugly? As the tute mentions, be careful with that thin brown ribbon cable. Did you get any kinks in it or scraped the copper on it? Unscrew the cover and wiggle that ribbon in again to ensure you have it all the way in together with the little plastic clip that shoves into the connector as well.

As for the covering, if your refering to the thin plastic sheet that protects the panel itself, then thats no prob as it's a mere protective cover. You could even use a CellPhone display cover and stick on to replace that. When lining up the LED panel to the LCD screen try to stick them along the sides rather than in between. That way nothing moves or gets slanted when you squash them back together. If you have thin acetate plastic sheet you could cut that to size and use that as a covering. Another option is to use Dbl-sided tape but the thin type for paper work, and cut thin narrow strips applying them to the side edges of the LED panel. That way it will also stick to the LCD screen like a sandwich with no space penalty. You won't see the tape as the is a border covering the outside edges of the internal display when you screw the TX covers back.

As for the extra 5pin socket....hmmm I don't think there should be one!! Have a look at the tute pics and see if everything matches. Which empty socket issit? Could it be the roller selector connector?

Anyone else have any suggestions, please feel free to add on!!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #143 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't believe there is suppose to be an open socket inside. And as far as the plastic protective covering, i pealed mine off and it works great !
It may even be a little brighter and then again, it maybe just me thinking it is.....lol, but you do have to be very careful or you will scratch the LCD screen.
Like you timatworksg, i think it is probably the ribbon cable or whatever the open socket might be.
Could you take a picture of the inside so we can all get a look at the open socket you speak of and we may also get a look at what may be causing your problem that way.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #144 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Did that mod tonight and just love it!!!

Thank you timatworksg!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #145 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got my blue backlight today from HK. Went step by step and did not have any problems. I did do something different tho. I unloaded the unused wires from the connector instead of cutting off then wrapped with heat shrink to protect connector just like it came in package. A little off to one side but other than that love it. Going to do my dads next in green. Here is a pic of mine completed.

A BIG thanks to timatworksg for this awesome write up!!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #146 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by born ready View Post
Hi All,
Well, I hate to be a spoil sport, but, after the mod, I have a display only now and then. The back lite panel stays lit, but the display is intermittent. Display comes on and stays on for a moment if I tap on the bottom of the case.
I have an empty 5 pin socket on the main board. Is that normal?
Thanks,
Also...I applied the two sided tape to the covering of the led panel. Of course the display and all shifted, making the display off center. The obvious solution is to remove the cover and tape directly to the panel. Is there a problem doing that? Most folks say that they don't remove any thing.
I'm looking forward to your help.

BR
I too noticed a extra slot open on board when I took it apart. If you look close to that empty socket there is some initials next to it signifying what is used for. I can't remember off hand what mine said. Sorry. I will look at my dads when I do his and repost what it says. It might be used on a different model and not used on the dx6I.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #147 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot Timatworksg, that mod has been a walk in a park because of you. Very helpful tutorial.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dx6i_mod.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	317350  
xavure is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #148 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Always on

Thanks for the write up. Everything went well (as far as I can tell) except my backlight is always on. Did I get something crossed somewhere?

Thanks.
jktravis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #149 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found the problem with the light always being on. I accidentally soldered the wrong connection. I'm lucky I didn't really mess anything up. Thanks again for the write up!
jktravis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #150 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My dads after the green backlight on left. Mine after the blue backlight on right.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #151 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default A million and one 'your welcome's"

To all backlight modders, your most welcome!

I'm glad everything worked out as explained, even with some hiccups, it all ended up the way it's supposed to!

@jktravis
Glad you sorted it all out! LOL! Good thing nothing went 'blip!'..eek!
Could've doubled up as a night light though...lol!

@Mini Tmaxx, xavure, BlackBeast
Your welcome! I'm sure the LED makes the DX6i suddenly worth a little more since the day you paid for it...!
Old 05-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #152 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just finished mine thanks op

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1338198032.186275.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	320203  
Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #153 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome job OP! Thanks!
MESummersII is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #154 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Completed two back light mods last weekend. One blue for my buddy and mine in green. I LOVE the green! Thanks for the tutorial.

I found a circuit to turn off the backlight on a timer but honestly the circuit takes more power than leaving the backlight on so I didn't do it. I don't notice any battery drain from it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #155 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just finished mine with blue, LOOKS GREAT! Thanks OP.

Ken
AXN FPV
Daddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #156 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great write up, just ordered a blue backlight for mine.
tbone77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #157 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the tutorial.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	radioBcklght2.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	322977  
kml.krk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #158 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had the backlight kit for a while now but not game to try it until I read your tutorial.
Worked like a charm, and now I can finally see my screen in low light.
Thanks for taking the time.
ingleburn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #159 (permalink)
Registered Users

timatworksg: Thanks for the info on how to add the backlight; makes a good radio great ! ! ! My tweaks were filing down the high solder joints on the board where the 3M Super Strength Molding Tape (Item 03609) attaches to try to get the board/backlight screen to sit as low as possible; I put the 2 lower board screws in all the way, and left the upper 2 board screws about 1 1/2 turns short of tight because I could detect board flexing..... also found the perfect on/off switch for backlight power, (mounted on top) at RadioShack, part # 275-0624, finger tight on the nut that holds it in... photos enclosed. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dx6i Backlight Project 005.JPG
Views:	608
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	324212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx6i Backlight Project 008.JPG
Views:	570
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	324213  
Airscrew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #160 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi All,
I have
a couple of back light kits that I don't need.
A blue and a green.
$10 bucks shipped...USPS Priority Mail.
Please PM if you're interested.
Thanks,

Last edited by born ready; 06-15-2012 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: To enlighten.
born ready is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in