Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Cannot calibrate low endpoint with Telemetry link for x-bus connected

I just purchased the telemetry link for xbus and have installed it on my heli which will not arm now.

Equipment
Skookoom 540 FBL
JR Spectrum DSM2 satelittles running at 2048 / 11ms
Castle Ice 2 HV 80 with 3.63 (latest release
External Gov mod with fixed endpoints
Firmware is 4.22
Spektrum DX9 Transmitter
Castlelink Telemetry for X-Bus

Not 100% sure of the connections, but I set it up as follows
Telemetry link to throttle cable from ESC
Servo lead from Telemetry link to throttle pins on SK540
X-Bus connector to TM1000
Data Port / Power connected to Power rail on SK540
Live link is enabled in the ESC software

I have gone back and disabled the ext gov in the sk540 and tried to set the endpoint again in the esc but this does not work.
The high will acknowledged with a beep, but the low will not beep.

I have also reset to defaults the esc with no luck,
Argypak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Had a response back from Castle about this. I had to update the firmware on the telemetry link. Once this was done, the esc would arm.
For anyone elses reference, to update the telemetry link firmware follow the steps below
connect castlelink to computer
start castlelink software
connect telemetry link to castlelink via servo connectors.
software will change to telemetry link software
update firmware
Old 04-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Argy. I just started a thread elsewhere about using this exact setup with a SK controller(720), Castle ESC and DX9, so lucky that you posted this today.

All I'm really interested in is the main pack voltage telemetry. It appears that this unit works similar to the J log in that I can simply place the Castle Telemetry link in line between the ESC and my SK720 throttle channel, and the X bus link to a TM1000 to transmit back to my DX9.

It looks like I would need to possibly connect the TM1000 to my SK just for power, but I'm not using the SK governor, so I'm not sure that I would need the white Aux wire on my Edge 160 connected up to the SK at all, just as long as I have the live link enabled in the Edge software to allow the Castle Link to pass the data through to the TM1000??

Are you able to verify that this simple two point connection will give me battery pack voltage data to my DX9? Any of the other data from the ESC would just be icing on the cake, but it seems that the ESC should be able to pass all of its data through since its all coming from one source.

I'm not worried about any other telemetry data such as signal data that would typically be broadcast from a full Spek RX since we have that data logged in our SK units anyway.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi XRated,
It doesn't use the white cable. this is still available if you want external gov.
Connection is through the throttle cable to which you attach the Telemetry link which plugs into the throttle channel on the FBL or receiver. IO-A on Skookum. You are correct, the data port needs to be connected to power, which you can get from the receiver or a y cable.
You will receive pack voltage and more.
I too was looking at the jlog to achieve this, but this seems a much cleaner way of doing it.

Make sure software / telemetry link / esc have the latest software and firmware.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argypak View Post
Hi XRated,
It doesn't use the white cable. this is still available if you want external gov.
Connection is through the throttle cable to which you attach the Telemetry link which plugs into the throttle channel on the FBL or receiver. IO-A on Skookum. You are correct, the data port needs to be connected to power, which you can get from the receiver or a y cable.
You will receive pack voltage and more.
I too was looking at the jlog to achieve this, but this seems a much cleaner way of doing it.

Make sure software / telemetry link / esc have the latest software and firmware.
Perfect! This is essentially the same as the J log, but with the "Y" cable already built in, so I think the best choice as well
Old 05-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Argy, me again.

Im up and running with my setup, however I've noticed that the amp readings being called out are crazy wrong during flight, so have you noticed this?

I only installed this setup for the main pack and RX pack voltage telemetry, so I dont really need the amp data and may just disable it in the config.

I'm getting spoken readings of 400-750 amps while in normal forward flight with my 700. It's just reading the data directly from the ESC which shows accurately in the Castle logs, and there is no user based setup or adjustments for the amp value other than if I want to see it or not, so I'm unsure as to why only this one value out of all of them is so screwed up.

EDIT: after studying the ESC logs, it appears my current is being reported with an error factor of 10. Those 400-750 amp telemetry reports when doing nothing but cruising in hands off FF are really in the 40-75A range on the ESC log.

I was relying on the voice reports and didn't have the telemetry screen up on my TX, so I'm unsure if it was showing the error on the screen as well, or if it was just being called out incorrectly by the TX. I remember reading in the past of previous TX software bug situations with incorrect spoken telemetry values, but not specific to this particular device.

Last edited by Xrayted; 05-29-2016 at 11:56 AM..
Xrayted is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2016, 01:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Hi Argy, me again.

Im up and running with my setup, however I've noticed that the amp readings being called out are crazy wrong during flight, so have you noticed this?

I only installed this setup for the main pack and RX pack voltage telemetry, so I dont really need the amp data and may just disable it in the config.

I'm getting spoken readings of 400-750 amps while in normal forward flight with my 700. It's just reading the data directly from the ESC which shows accurately in the Castle logs, and there is no user based setup or adjustments for the amp value other than if I want to see it or not, so I'm unsure as to why only this one value out of all of them is so screwed up.

EDIT: after studying the ESC logs, it appears my current is being reported with an error factor of 10. Those 400-750 amp telemetry reports when doing nothing but cruising in hands off FF are really in the 40-75A range on the ESC log.

I was relying on the voice reports and didn't have the telemetry screen up on my TX, so I'm unsure if it was showing the error on the screen as well, or if it was just being called out incorrectly by the TX. I remember reading in the past of previous TX software bug situations with incorrect spoken telemetry values, but not specific to this particular device.

I haven't got that far yet. Still need to do more testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2016, 06:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argypak View Post
I haven't got that far yet. Still need to do more testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK thanks. Ive disabled the current portion in the device now. The batt voltage is working well, however gives a lot of false positives on some of my older packs which is to be expected with the increased voltage sag when I press it harder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in