Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Talon 90 Reviews

Looking for some reviews from people who actually have one.

Not interested in hearing once again how Castles are fire-starters and cannot be trusted.

Please post your thoughts and feeling so far IF you actually are using one. Positive and negative reviews are welcome.

Thank you
Scott1115 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are several reasons that I passed on getting one and with the ICE 100.
  1. It does not have data logging. I use data logging quite a bit in setting up helicopters and keeping track of the health of the ESC.
  2. I don’t like voltage selection. With ICE you have a wide range of BEC voltage but Talon only has 2 choices.
  3. I don’t like the connectors. They are CC specific and don’t fit any of the standard motor connectors so you have to make an adapter cable – it’s not plug and play.
  4. I have several helicopters that have been upgraded to 7s or 8s LiPo for improved performance, The Talon is a low voltage ESC (6s maximum voltage).
I am disappointed that they cheapened it up so much in order to compete with the Chinese ESC’s. I would have preferred to pay slightly more and keep some in the ICE features. I have not seen one at the flying field. It will probably be next summer in the US before we really know how they hold up. Maybe we will get some early data from those flying in the Southern Hemisphere.

Lets hope that it doesn’t take as long to debug the Talon as it did with the ICE HV series. I was expecting to see other sizes but perhaps CC wants to see if there are any problem before they make more sizes. CC does make excellent products but sometimes the first ones are not so good (BEC Pro is another example of that).

My ICE 100 has proven to be excellent and has everything that I like.

RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks RCMike, valid points. Anyone else?
Scott1115 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like my Talon and it has worked flawlessly since I've had it. It's mounted under the lipo tray on my trex 550.

Pros
-The mounting clip is a nice touch and holds the esc tight with no extra straps needed.
-Comes with bullets for motor that matches hard mounted bullets on the ESC
-Cleaned up heli with no BEC and motor plugged directly into ESC
-Lighter than the Ice 100 it replaced
-Stays cool in flights
-Works well with vbar governor

Cons
-Limited BEC output voltage selection(6v or 8v)
-Jumper wires for motor leads may be needed depend on your setup
-Does not have Castle data logging

I plan to buy another for my upcoming Goblin 500
ForceFedDSM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just be sure to do a servo bench test...

Last edited by jakozzz; 01-14-2013 at 05:02 PM..
jakozzz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakozzz View Post
Just had a Brown-out... Pitch pump 20 feet up = very hard landing... Had it on 8V.. Running HV coreless servos.. had to switch to 6 volt setting... What do U expect for $80....
What servos and heli?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Great Performance

I got this for my 550 v2 3gx and been using it for 9 months + without issue. Performs great and has a great bec with 9A continuous and 20A burst. I wanted to avoid the extra weight of an external bec and extra battery. I'm thinking of getting another one for my 500x due to higher current demands I'm putting on it.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Maiden on Goblin 500 motor stopped after 2 min, totaled 500. Everything RCMike said.
I have 3 castle products with the date 03/13 on the throttle wire and all are bad. One was the Talon90 that totaled the 500. Others are 160 that didnt work out the box.
newhelliguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2016, 02:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys,thiught i would revive the thread.

Sorry to hear that bro.
Count me in too as i had a disaster yesterday . Was down simple rolls and loops when my talon 90 died on me . Was flying trex 550dfc stock with 550mm blades and 2100rpms flat at 35degrees celcius calm weather.

I reduced them from 2500rpm as it was showing signs of over heating and tried to freez 2 times during flight before.
Heli came down like a broke.
Turned out esc wa siverheating and had a bad solder joint in black wire socket.
I am thinking of switching to hobbywing platinum 200a v3 esc or 120a v4 esc as they are around 65-90usd and reviews are solid too...
Mahmood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2016, 01:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood View Post
Hi guys,thiught i would revive the thread.

Sorry to hear that bro.
Count me in too as i had a disaster yesterday . Was down simple rolls and loops when my talon 90 died on me . Was flying trex 550dfc stock with 550mm blades and 2100rpms flat at 35degrees celcius calm weather.

I reduced them from 2500rpm as it was showing signs of over heating and tried to freez 2 times during flight before.
Heli came down like a broke.
Turned out esc wa siverheating and had a bad solder joint in black wire socket.
I am thinking of switching to hobbywing platinum 200a v3 esc or 120a v4 esc as they are around 65-90usd and reviews are solid too...
You are over-working the ESC. 2500 RPM swinging 550mm blades, your ESC is too small, if you are going to push the head speed that high you'll need a 120. I run an Edge 130 in my 550 for some buffer room and I'm frequently hitting 160-170 amps governed at 2360rpm. You could get away with a Talon 90 flying very gently and in cooler temperatures, 35C is damn warm!!

Steve
Old 05-03-2016, 04:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have had the talon 90 on my 500l dominator over a year now.

Average 3d skills. Doing loads of Tictoc. Running 2900 hs using cc battery volts hack to deal with overhead msg.

No issues whatsoever!!!!!!!
Synergy E7se - MSH Brain / CC Edge 120HV
nabl74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in