Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #61 (permalink)

You are quite welcome from my end, my unmet friend! Glad to have been able to help...what little i had to do with it anyway *grins*
helihaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Now, if I can just figure out how to reduce even more of the bearing related slop in the Tarot head...........

and get this darned flymentor to position hold. This one doesn't want to co-operate. When the thunderstorms stop again up here in the far north, I am going to give this a new fm gyro and new quick uk links on the servo/swash to eliminate link slop and get this thing finally behaving to my standard.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went through several full flights and dialed in the flymentor to a T. The heli was flying truly hands free.
Sorry AP, I was going to mail this out early tomorrow.

So,
I am wondering if this build is weirdly cursed or something.

Has anyone ever seen a B400 burst into flames in midair and drop before? The Ice50 exploded! In all my years, I have never heard nor seen one go out of the thousands of guys running these.

Well, here is the first!
Looks like the scorp shorted out inside and took the ice with it. Great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06851.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	326914   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06853.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	326915   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06854.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	326919  
Old 06-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Damn , sorry to see. This build has a bad omen! You think a spacer/nut from the last explosion could have been caught up in the motor since the magnetism seems to attract everything in its vicinity and cause the short? I know that would be almost impossible but I have had spacers get sucked up through the vents in the housing before.. Good luck with the rebuild

I think its trying to tell you to go FBL
Deftronix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

I asked him about going fbl on this. He wants to fly this to see what a properly setup heli is like before moving on. I don't blame him..

I stayed up most the night and got up early after this happened. I robbed my own recently ceramic'd custom hand wound hot rod scorp out of my B and also my custom Ice and installed it in this heli. Along with the aluminum upgrade tray and a horde of new parts. I flew it yesterday. If it weren't pouring rain and 48 deg outside I would final tune this and get her mailed out.

Personally, I know AP will never ever explore the limits of the motor/esc combo now headed his way. But, I have to get him taken care of!

I hate being without anything to fly though.

You wanna hear about the rest of my day?
After the heli went up in flames, all the drains in my cottage backed up. So here I am sitting here typing away, and my windows and doors are all open to air the house out. Not because of the water, but the smell of the PbBlaster solvent trying to get the access pipe lid loose. To get at that, I had to pull the toilet out. Which is sitting in my kitchen. It is also 48deg outside, windy and pouring rain. So needless to say it is a little cold in here. Then, and this is the worst yet. My new automatic kitty litter scooper box died.
All in the same friggin day!

And now the 4ft deep hole I had to dig out over the sewer lid is filling full of rain water. Not to mention the 1ft thick tree root that grew right over the top of the stinking thing, which is keeping me from finishing the job.

I have my new HK Yge knockoff esc wired into my 600 with a new Pro Esc, and a new Scorp 4035-630 just to test the esc out. But to be honest, I am afraid to touch it at this point!

I just hope another thunderstorm doesn't spring up this afternoon. I would hate to get struck by lightning while down in the basement..............
Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Greetings good sir,
I dont wish to appear overly supicious, however, and this is just an observation, it would seem you are currently plagued by an uwanted, completely unwarrentied string of ill fortune.In terms of the vernacular, "Too much bad JuJu man".May I, in a manner most humble,suggest you take a short hiatus from this obvious obsession which currently has you completely emmersed. Possible consider a stint with Oregami or something else, less prone to either mechanical or electrical failures..
Now lets pontificate on the subject.You, an acknowledged master builder extrodinare, have suffered these apparently random acts of self destructionm having by your owqn admission never seen either tradegy occurr.
Now you expect a rank novice to take the control of what in your own language is "a wicked fast machine". Mmmm.Not sure NASA has a unit of measure large enough to measure the pucker factor involved here!!!
Think I will consult with the local herbologist here in Thailand and locate some 1000mg tabs of testicular enhancer to better prepare me for this most auspicious occasion.
You will know the exact instant she lifts off the ground by the sudden absolute vacume that will be induced by my southern most parts...
That said I truely do look forwards to receiving the results of your and Helihaven's near genius.Thank you both once again for this uneque opportunity to fly and enjoy this superb machine.
God Bless.
Kindest regards.
Ancient Pete.
Ancient Pete is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Randy,,,Just a brief instant. Please???
Why when you have the obvious talent as plainly exhibited by the pictures of the Super B you created, why must you lower yourself to use a device of the proletariate such as a store bought automatic kitty litter scooper.
Surely you of all people could,in the matter of a few short hours, and with all the spare helo parts at your disposal. fabricate a Scorp powered, Ice regulated, 875mm bladed, Abec 17 equiped, feline effluent removal device.
AP.
PS Sorry to hear of your clogged pipe issues too.Maybe you could use the downdraft..never mind..
Should I send you my other B400 to take your mind of these lessor tribulations???
Old 06-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haha! Thanks AP! I did take a brief hiatus. I have been slowly ordering parts over the last year for a friend of mine who is somewhat "talent challenged" in the assembly, and flying departments. So we got together since I have all the tools, and assembled one of those Epp Fpv 7ft wingspan planes over the last two days with nice upgraded components. I laughed when they say it only takes 3 hours to assemble. We stayed up till 2:30am on the first day. And finally finished it late last night inspite of all the interruptions at a total of over 30 hours of labor to do it correctly.

The slow movements the plane has and the huuuuge size will make this a great beginners platform to learn on. Plus he borrowed my Phoenix sim last fall and has been practicing. I just got that back yesterday so I can bone up myself on my own flying skills in the downtime.

To be honest, after everyone left. I broke out my 600 and re-rewired in my new HK knockoff YGE HV120 and began the frustrating job of programming it. Again.

Of coarse nothing responded the way it is suppossed to. So, after a quick nights sleep. I got up and rewired it the way I think it should be instead of their instructions. And it began to co-operate just a few minutes ago. And if the motor spools up I am gonna be ecstatic.

Also scorp motor division contacted me via email and I am sending the now toasted motor in for a rebuild. And Castle creations is taking back the lump of charcoal that was once an esc and giving me a half price buy on a new one. I found out that you never throw away one of thier esc's. They will always replace them cheap.

Plus Scorpion research also informed me that two new prototype 12s scorps based on the 2221 can are headed my way! At least I will have a 12s stretched 450 running in about a week or so!

And soon I will have brand new replacement parts for the disaster. One of my friends here at HF asked me if they had shipped these parts Via the Bermuda Triangle. Lollz!

Now one thing I don't 100% fully like about your heli is weirdly the futaba 9257 tail servo. It limits the overall voltage at 4.8v for the entire heli. Which means the rest of the cyclics respond too slow for my liking. I did some homework and found out lots of guys still run these at 6v without any problems. But others reported burnt servos at the 6v. So, I decided to split the diff and try this at 5.5v today. I had a flight yesterday with it to show off to the guys that came by to tear out my bathroom. One of them was blown away by your heli and pestered me the entire time to see it fly.

Nice and docile, but the flymentor has a tendancy to want to slowly move into a right or left hand lean at the lower operating voltage. It is a slow lean and is easily compensated for, but I would rather it not be there at all! Plus it is hit and miss for position lock. If I hover for a few moments in the same spot about 4ft up it locks. But if not it continues flying as if the lock is not engaged at all. The flymentor is slow to respond. And I am most certainly not liking that at all. Up higher though just hovering around it worked quite well. And earlier I ran it at 6v for a few and it was quite happy there! So was I. But the tail servo came down warm and I dropped it back down.

So I am raising up the volts from 5 (minimum the ice will give) and also bumping the gain slightly to see what it does. The tail is rock solid though.

Frustrating or not. I love this stuff!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey, LMH, been following your thread with great interest. What issues did you have with the YEP programming? I have yet to get mine, but as I understand it it's pretty much a YGE, so this info which you likely already have should work (I think)

http://elektrorc.com/articles.php?tPath=4

Getting handier with a soldering Iron I am so if you think there's stuff on it that needs fixing, do let me know!

Great to see you pushing the limits! Do you dare push it further? I'm thinking about your recent crash and mainshaft - mechanically I am guessing you've probably min-maxed it to the hilt, could I be right there?

I wish I could see the heli in person but not having your skillz I'm about content to stretch my 450's to 350 mm the stock msh way.

spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good morning
Hey Randy, After ALLLLLL the agony and..dare I say some fun too,plus experimentation to "materialize" the almost perfect 450-500 class machine, why stop so close to absolute perfection, i.e. the mystical 99th percential. If you don't feel 100% comfortabel with the voltage setting and thus response.What tail servo do you want to put in there???

Next do you want me to send you the brand new virginial FM I have here.
I have the pinion for the BU 400 and all I need for the T450 is to ballance the main blade tracking, so I have "stuff" to do and see how I make out.

Seriously my good friend and mentor, lets not forgo total satisfaction( yours) for one more component.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Helihaven,
Quick question. On a recent expedition into the forbidden land of Boomtown, I located a set fo Titanium turnbuckles for the infamious, much maligned,but more so loved, B400's. I quickly purchased same with the dream of un parralled joy of being able to set main blade tracking in a much easier fashion.
Unfortunatly my dreams were quickly shattered when on receiving my merchantise,I discovered..the bloody things are to dam long by about .375ish". However the idea would appear to be extremely good. I did research and found no others.
So the proverbial 64million dollar question.What is the possibility of a custom set.
If one were to obtain the correct lenght of appropreatly threaded SS rod.One would need to "punch" a small aperature in the midst of said TR. For one so obviously well equipped with such an elevated machining ability as yourself. This should not be a major challenge...for the appropreate financial renumeration of course.

So great fabricator you, what are your thoughts on the subject??
Krf,
The steaming gecko infested jungles of northern Thailand.
Ancient Pete.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Pete View Post
Helihaven,
Quick question. On a recent expedition into the forbidden land of Boomtown, I located a set fo Titanium turnbuckles for the infamious, much maligned,but more so loved, B400's. I quickly purchased same with the dream of un parralled joy of being able to set main blade tracking in a much easier fashion.
Unfortunatly my dreams were quickly shattered when on receiving my merchantise,I discovered..the bloody things are to dam long by about .375ish". However the idea would appear to be extremely good. I did research and found no others.
So the proverbial 64million dollar question.What is the possibility of a custom set.
If one were to obtain the correct lenght of appropreatly threaded SS rod.One would need to "punch" a small aperature in the midst of said TR. For one so obviously well equipped with such an elevated machining ability as yourself. This should not be a major challenge...for the appropreate financial renumeration of course.

So great fabricator you, what are your thoughts on the subject??
Krf,
The steaming gecko infested jungles of northern Thailand.
Ancient Pete.

Turnbuckles are reverse threaded on one end..a threaded rod wouldnt work. the question is how small of a left handed die we could get to make them. thats the only limiting factor..and they would have to be stainless as titanium is harder than the dies used to cut the threads...probably 2.5mm or 3mm diameter will be as small as we could go
Old 06-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Last set of those turnbuckles I had that I tried, I just trimmed them down. Problem with most is that the threads are too shallow though and they pull out of the ball link ends too easily. I have three or four sets of the shorter versions of them. I will send a set with your heli this week AP!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good morning Gents,
I just recorded some rough measurements. I am using a Tarot head,none stock swash on a plastic B400 frame.The length I will need is approx 44mm. So ideally 38 to 48 would seem to be appropreate.The TBs I bought from Boomtown are shaft size 1.80dia, with 7mm of thread ( total), The ball links are 15mm long, with an adjustment of 60 to 68mm.
So they are too long for this application.

LMH, you say you have some small example.How small is small?

The other issue as Helihaven brought out. if indeed one could obtain a 2.5mm die and the SS bare rod of the appropreate dia, then we would still need to secure 2.5mm ball links which are compatible with the balls on the swash.Or go through yet another iteration of finding parts that match...As with many ideas that first seem too good. They are, and in fact reality is brutally ugly by comparision.This one is following suit.

Unless of course LMH has a supplier of these peices in various lengths, in his data base of all things rotary. However with his recent spat of bad luck, me thinks this would be pushing the envelope.
This sucks Moose nickle a herd as turnbuckles would in my almost humble opinion reduce an agony to a task that might almost be pleasant...
Comments oh great masters of rotary wisdom??
Krf, Ancient Pete from the land of heat, geckos, heat, mangos heat Russel vipers, did I mention heat??
Old 06-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #75 (permalink)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5mm-x-45-M...item1c20937985

smallest i could find...M2.5..its doable...would have to use larger links and balls...500-600 sizeish...make ya any length ya wanted then...

also found M2's! http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2mm-2-x-...item2a1f60d98c

drilling an adjusting rod hole through a 2mm diameter shaft will be "interesting" to say the least...with this size use stock balls and links as well....
Old 06-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Greetings from the Orient.
I certainly understnad the word interesting, translated into field speak...hemaroidal!!!
I did chase down the link on eB you suggested.Then went back to my peices and studied the problem.Going to larger balls links etc will most likely cause major interference with the swash carrier
The the good Lord gave me the solution and it sooooo simple..No hole drilling,no stock to be acquired. Why not simply cut my existing turnbuckles down to the appropreate size, buy the LH threaded die and add more thead on that end.We would have to acquire the other die for the RH threaded end, and do like wise.A relatively unchallenging procedure.
This way too if we can find longer store boughts,we can always customise to correct lengths,or you could. if you felt in a particularly masochistical frame of mind, experiment with bare stock to dertermine the feasability and or interesting component.
I believe we have been given the answer(TYL), to the 64M question. Thoughts??
His Ancientship
Old 06-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #77 (permalink)

All of the dies I have seen in that size are made of steel..albeit a harder variety...but still steel..it wont cut threads in titanium..MIGHT scratch it..but thats about it. If your turnbuckles were stainless steel it would work fine. With the 2mm turnbuckles (yours measured 1.8 right?) you could drill out the end links just a little oversize and they should work...assuming i can make em. the threads i see no problem...just the hole through the shaft for adjustments will be a woolybugger....
Old 06-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just pick up these. I sent a pair of them in your package with your new super B.
http://www.ac-rc.com/product_info.php?cPath=56_27_77&products_id=1214&o sCsid=eiag8q26mo39dm1ig250kdar54
Old 06-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Morning FHA, (Fellow Heli Addicts).

Ahh yes. Thanks LMH. Looks like the perfect solution.And for 310 cents per pair, doubtful they will strain the budget.

But just one single solidatary second.
Did I not mention the strong probability that you would have the solution in your vast repositary of heli facts????
Once again, your guidance in all things rotary has surmounted and made insignificant the problems I face...

Not to mention will save Helihaven's sanity, well at least eyesight, as he does not have to face drilling that miniscule wee hole...

Kindest regards to the both of you.
GB.
Ancient Pete
Old 06-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #80 (permalink)

shoot....LMH has thrown me alot harder curveballs than a hole through a 2mm shaft...lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in