Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default OS 55 worth the extra money

Getting ready to hit the add too cart button. I've got it norrowed down to Trex 600 nitro pro, or Velocity 50, OS 50 or 55 motor...... I'm only one year into this habit,this will be my first nitro....So far Align has been my drug of choice but the Velocity looks great and maybe it's time for a change.. If anyone has used both the 55 and the 50 motor please let me know if it's worth the hundred bucks or so for the extra, (3D is in my near future i hope, not there yet) Thanks for any advice>>>NOT TRYING TO START A WAR !!!
All Thumbs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

the lhs carries both and the outrage is so sick looking man its so nice. Looks really wel build and is just very sturdy. it is great align is alwasyg ood and i never flown either but i hear the outrage is all the rage lol... Really thou they love it at the lhs i think its my next heli and first nitro actually
Daman691003 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Re: OS 55 worth the extra money

It was worth the extra cost to me. I only fly sport, but it allows me to run 20% nitro and get the power of 30%. The biggest advantage is a mid range that isn't too lean, as it tends to be on the OS 50.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Like i said 1st nitro ?

I don't under stand why mid range would be important ? Don't you fly nitros at 90% and 100 % in stunt same as electric helis??
Old 02-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Velocity does look nice. Yet to see one in person. Align is about all that i see here, might have to be a trend setter.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Thumbs View Post
I don't under stand why mid range would be important ? Don't you fly nitros at 90% and 100 % in stunt same as electric helis??
Not unless you want to blow a motor or sling a blade. The idea is to keep the headspeed somewhat constant. An idle up curve is approximately 100-50-100. There is some variation due to pitch and engine selection, but this gets it in the ballpark. Hovering takes place at about 60%, give or take.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
OS 50's have a hard time spooling up. The new 55 with 3 needles solves this
fastflyer20 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New to nitro

Didn,t know throtle curve came down to 50 in idle up. understand why you need midrange now. plus the extra adjustments would be nice . thanks
Old 02-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Didn,t know throtle curve came down to 50 in idle up. understand why you need midrange now. plus the extra adjustments would be nice . thanks

it doesnt with a good govener

ive seen that curve more often with a 90 then a 50. i believe a 50 will over rev much more then a 90.
trex 600N OS50hyp, hitori, mgp, 9451'sgy520/9256, TT
trex 700N 91sz, hitori, g600, 610's, 611/9256, TT
outhouse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I love the 50. For 1950 headspeed (which is all a Vibe needs) my curve is about 100-62-46-62-100. No issues with lean running on the mid, but the low is a bit rich which makes cold starts a little bit difficult to keep running... not worth the extra $120-$140 to fix it, IMHO... unless you really want to use the extra power.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I sold my OS 50 to get the 55 and it was worth it. The midrange is much better.
My YS ST50 is the best runner I have, smooth and powerful. You may want to consider the YS56. As a insurance policy,YS is much better about warranty work than OS.
fastflyer20 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

does a 7100R replace the govenor ? it's the reciever i have ( in my cart) on my list.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 7100R does replace the governor.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The OS .55 is worth every dollar over the .50. First, it's way, way more powerful, to the point my 700 has a very slight edge on the 600. Very slight (used to be incomparable). Second, the tuning is much more flexible compared to the 50 (although it can be a double edge sword if you don't know - or unwilling to learn - what you're doing).

Third, and perhaps most importantly, it supposedly doesn't eat bearings as bad as the 50. And that, my friend, is a very big advantage (some people, like myself, had to pull apart the engine for bearing replacement every few - 2 to 4 - gallons).

I say get it and don't look back. You can get the Align version, it's $50 less at www.flying-hobby.com (and maybe other places too, I don't know). If it's anything like the .91 engines, the Align and the OS ones are identical.

Trex 700N, Furion 6FBL, (lots of fuel and some batteries)
SamurAchzar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bigger Better More

Once again the Freaks have talked me into spending more money, 55 here we go.... Anyone going to talk me out of Trex600 and into Velocity 50.(just a little more money) Thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Once again the Freaks have talked me into spending more money, 55 here we go.... Anyone going to talk me out of Trex600 and into Velocity 50.(just a little more money) Thanks
No, but I might talk you into a Compass 3D+.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Now I'm not trying to talk you into one thing or another, but if your not new to helis, and like to build/rebuild, consider a used heli. Resale on this stuff is about 50% and some definite bargains can be found. I would recommend picking it up if possible as opposed to having it shipped, simply for security.

Heres a link to the one I got.

You do have to be veeery careful when doing this so you don't get robbed, and when you get it you need to be prepared to take it all the way apart and inspect/rebuild. When mine arrived, some of the items i had to replace where bearings, a carbsmart servo, and some plastic bevel gears (wear, not damage) I also had to rebuild the carb and do the switch thing on the 2 in 1, but I would have done that to the 2 in 1 anyway if it was new.

I'm very pleased with the one I got
Old 02-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Yes. I'd say get the Velocity 50. I have one, and many of the guys I fly with who have 600Ns have been drooling over my Velocity. I absolutely love it. In fact, I've been enjoying flying it more than my 700N. From my perspective, here are the advantages of the Velocity 50 over a 600N:
- Lighter weight (equals better power to weight ratio)
- Cheaper replacement parts (see the crash cost comparison thread someone else started... the Velocity was closer to the trex 500 in crash costs than the 600)
- Highy adjustable head (giving you the ability to go mild to wild... I thought all the adjustment options would overwhelm me, but it's been quite the opposite, I love learning how each part has an effect on the overall flight characteristics)
- ability to run 620 to 630mm blades, which will help you get more out of that 55 - this makes a BIG difference
- much better tail design, equals less slop, and higher reliability
Old 02-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael503 View Post
Not unless you want to blow a motor or sling a blade. The idea is to keep the headspeed somewhat constant. An idle up curve is approximately 100-50-100. There is some variation due to pitch and engine selection, but this gets it in the ballpark. Hovering takes place at about 60%, give or take.
I always thought the mid-range of an engine is the operating rpm not the throttle opening pertentage.
CharlieChoo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My understanding is that midrange is just that, not WOT, and not idle. Its possible to load the head sufficiently at full throttle and still maintain 1800rpm headspeed, but that does not mean your running in the "midrange"
its usually defined as being somewhere between 30 and 70% throttle, under a normal load.
Most peeps use the term to describe a mixture setting, such as idle (low end), midrange, and high.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in