Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default Post your Hurricane 550 flight videos here

OK I'll go first....

here is the maiden test flights of my Hurricane 550

Very first flight with temps at the end. Nothing special and it was a very gloomy day today. Video was shot with a CVS camera by a friend so no zoom closeups.
VIDEO -> First Flight with temos (38 Megs)

2nd flight... a little more 3D but still took it easy testing the ESC which ultimatly had no issues.. Shot with a better camera.
VIDEO -> Second Flight (30 Megs)

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2007, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I need a new motor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faf8NAVPErU
canadianshark74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are a lot of Hurricane Video's on www.youtube.com.

Here are a few good ones...

Hurricane 550 (3 min 52 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTazmUsXbVg
Hurricane EP550 (1 min 45 sec)
Old 06-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here is my flight (first time in competition) and crash %)
Also first attemt doing piroflip
Hurricane EP550 (1 min 45 sec)

Z20 1470KV, 7S A123 battery, align 75g ESC 515 CF Blades
Piranha is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Lookin good! Dang sorry about the crash at the end.....

Bob
Old 06-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default pirahna

nice !!!

please give us a damage report. Just interested in what to expect when I do this to mine!
bclong21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2007, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: pirahna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclong21
nice !!!

please give us a damage report. Just interested in what to expect when I do this to mine!
Main Blades, main 61t gear, bented shafts, scrached canopy, and bented boom(a little bit)! So I think that Hurricane is a really solod and tough guy
Piranha is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2007, 03:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Test video of Revco's 68T CNC main gear.

Now all I need is Adrians main shaft gear

http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=...=1revgears.wmv

Bob
Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Here´s me playing around with a 5S pack and the Z30 1110 motor.
Because I now fly mainly on 6S, my throttle curve where only at 90% here. Still fun to fly though.

http://www.ezfly.se/Video/hurricane_egen_3d.wmv
Tom Viper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Nice Tom!

So now your on 6S... whats the pack and motor?

Bob
Old 06-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another test from Chris flying this afternoon with the Revco gears and pinions. www.hurricane550.com
Old 06-25-2007, 10:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

OK opinions from the peanut gallery...

HOLY CRAP.... for sure that was not the stock tail at those head RPMs.... I bet you used my Raptor tail mod or some other tail for sure!

Head speed HAD to be near 2800 as just my guess?

Flight time.... John if your going to post videos like this you MUST share the setup and dont give me any crap about testing a new Gaui motor... You can at least share the pack size! 3 minutes flight time aint good enough! Sorry! Give me 4 to 5 with that kind of performance and you have something!

Great flying Chris! DAMN.... I am impressed!

If the new motor is only giving 3 minutes then either pack size has to increase or we just are trying to get too much head speed out of 500mm blades! Either way there are trade off's. Again damn it... dont even show this kind of thing without sharing setup or you will get the wrath of Finless
We are all trying to leanr here, share info, and make a promising heli better! Thus you must share info John not just use this for advertising! :mrgreen:

Comments I picked up
1) Tail problems still holding! I know this tail is soft even with my Raptor grip mod!and the reason is the drive ratio... Tail RPM needs to be a little higher I think.
2) Auto? They didnt think it would auto? This heli auto's GREAT even with the wood blades I did an inverted Auto last saturday

ADRIANS GEARS BABY!

No DONT SPAM us with vidfs like this and not give up the ghost!

Bob
Old 06-25-2007, 11:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob et al:

Headspeed was 2450. Didnt think to post the setup, since it hasnt changed from the other two videos. No mods used (sorry Finless), that is a heli setup correctly by Ready Heli using all stock components in the tail. We are running full CNC Head, and a 1500 watt 1100Kv upgraded GAUI motor.

The packs are FlightPower Evo25 2500mah 3s1p's, and have dramatically sagged over the course of 3 hard flights...we are moving into EVO30 territory next week.

Again, nothing secret, this is the SAME setup among all three videos we have posted. All stock GAUI equipment plus Revco 22t pinion and gears.

We will be testing a thrusted tail, and a logictech 6100 combo in a few days with the stock boom, versus the shorter one, and will post results of it.

PS: No spam there, just honest hardcore results using stock equipment (+Revco)

Old 06-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
that is a heli setup correctly by Ready Heli using all stock components in the tail.
Umm OK.... I honestly dont expect that tail design to last at that head speed. Align dropped that design and Logo did too. I could go on with others that had problems with this tail hub design at these head speeds but I think those two names will suffice!

Setup correctly....??? Is that saying I set up mine incorrectly? The Gaui tail design will not last with head speeds like that and you know it!
I also dont think that is 2450 or the video is not representing sound correctly! Many people that know me know I can usually guess head speed within 50 to 100 RPM! People are suprised that I am able to do that trust me.... That was higher sounding to me but since it is a video I wont argue.

John, known you a long time but I gotta say I question what your saying this time.... Mine runs 2400 and is not near that sound in head speed! Again could be just the video but as Finless..... I gotta question!

Bob
Old 06-25-2007, 11:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless
OK opinions from the peanut gallery...

HOLY CRAP.... for sure that was not the stock tail at those head RPMs.... I bet you used my Raptor tail mod or some other tail for sure!

Head speed HAD to be near 2800 as just my guess?

Flight time.... John if your going to post videos like this you MUST share the setup and dont give me any crap about testing a new Gaui motor... You can at least share the pack size! 3 minutes flight time aint good enough! Sorry! Give me 4 to 5 with that kind of performance and you have something!

Great flying Chris! DAMN.... I am impressed!

If the new motor is only giving 3 minutes then either pack size has to increase or we just are trying to get too much head speed out of 500mm blades! Either way there are trade off's. Again damn it... dont even show this kind of thing without sharing setup or you will get the wrath of Finless
We are all trying to leanr here, share info, and make a promising heli better! Thus you must share info John not just use this for advertising! :mrgreen:

Comments I picked up
1) Tail problems still holding! I know this tail is soft even with my Raptor grip mod!and the reason is the drive ratio... Tail RPM needs to be a little higher I think.
2) Auto? They didnt think it would auto? This heli auto's GREAT even with the wood blades I did an inverted Auto last saturday

ADRIANS GEARS BABY!

No DONT SPAM us with vidfs like this and not give up the ghost!

Bob

Hi Finless,

My name is Chris Harmon and I am the pilot in the videos. Johns list of equipment/mods is 100% accurate.

I realize this is your turf and I really have no interest in stepping on toes but I don't think you have the right to call us out on this. We have no reason to lie, it's not as if we're claiming it's 100% stock in the first place.

I agree it could use the Finless Raptor Tail Mod(TM) but John has been in direct contact with Gaui relaying all of my suggestions in an effort to bring this machines performance to the level of it's competitors at a much better cost & quality.

Btw, Thanks for all the positive comments. I really appreciate anything positive as I catch a lot of flack about my flying these days.
Scotty68 likes this.
ChrisT88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 12:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello

So you guys know Chris is also the pilot that can make a mostly stock TREX 450 V2(has V Blades on it) look like a 90. There arent too many poeple in the world that could even fly a TREX as good as Chris does...how many attempts at 4 point tick tocks and piro tick tocks have you ever seen on a TREX 450 sized heli?...probably none until now.

http://www.theastonisher.com/ChrisHa...50SE-V2-3D.wmv

Anyways Chris is a stand up guy and isnt going to lie to anyone and only really cares that poeple are happy with what they are flying. I hope Gaui takes Chris' suggestions seriously because he knows exactily what hes talking about and could bring that heli to the next level.

C
eco8gator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 12:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
it's not as if we're claiming it's 100% stock in the first place.
Really? Shall I quote John?

Quote:
No mods used (sorry Finless), that is a heli setup correctly by Ready Heli using all stock components in the tail.
I dont doubt you got a tail working! BUT.... I heard you in the vid saying problems with the tail. I aint tryin to step on you either but lets not misslead the people here please which is something I will not go for and that is my style and my turf! Not saying you are but I question the message here.... And I will call out when I see something that is WAY different than my experience!

Turf? I have no turf for any heli. All I do is try to help people have the best heli they can. I dont get in anyone face normally. I actually support this heli as I think it has a lot of promise! I fly one and improve on one so I have some experience with it. No TURF to step on here man just sharing with the people that trust me to be honest!!!! So let's be honest here please.

I honestly get tired of having a good pilot sell junk and I think a lot of others are tired of that too? I AM NOT saying your doing that but let's take this heli and show it REAL and for once have a good pilot (LIKE YOU) tell people what they need to get it to make it fly like that and NOT hide anything! You and Readyheli now have an opportunity to do something new and do that! I gaurentee you both this will sell more helis in the long run than just a hot flying vid will and I... will stand behind you!

I aint saying the Hurricane is junk either and I support this heli! I think it has a lot of promise just like I did the Trex450 back when it first came out and I had the 5th kit ever to exist in the USA!

If you and Readyheli are going to sell that this tail will work at these head speeds then I am going to call John on it! The last message insinuated I did not set up the tail right which is why I made the Raptor mod. If you believe the stock tail is working right and doesnt need any work... Then SAY IT! I dont think you will...

Anyway Chris... great flying man! Best stuff I have seen with the Hurricane by far!!!! But if your going to fly for Gaui or John, then you of all people should also be straight up about it and tell people what is needed for the heli to fly like that 100's of times reliably!

I will call the ball if I agree or disagree! Thats my turf and people count on me to be that way :mrgreen:

Bob
Old 06-26-2007, 01:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

Finless,

Ready Heli has already listed the parts modified: ( https://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=41570 ), and the tail was not among those parts listed as modified.

I don't think John is implying that you did not properly build your tail. IMO he was merely saying that our tail was properly built.

I personally set that helicopter up. I took real good care of that build, too.. That Hurricane has been 100% accurately represented by Ready Heli and Chris. That's the same stock tail that you see fly in all three videos so far, Finless. I would know, I'm the camera man in all of the videos.

-Kyle
arclite5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 02:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

OK... so you all are going to stand here and tell all users that this tail is going to fly well at these videoed head speeds and hold up to that abuse long term?

Kyle, your puting your reputation forward here.... I will put mine forward and say IT WONT LAST and will destruct with head speeds like this! I will stake my reputation on it will you?

I will say it again and I like John!!!! I think he picked up selling a winner heli here!
Readyheli is the best in the business and that I will stand behind that no doubt!

John has the opportunity to make this heli a winner but everyone involved has to be straight up with this thing! IT NEEDS SOME IMPROVEMENTS and I have said this since day one. They are coming and every week it is getting better! HERE HERE to Gaui! Let's just not make people dissapointed expecting something they wont get TODAY because a HOT video showed a flight that with the current system, you might get 5-10 of before failure if your lucky!

Bob
Old 06-26-2007, 02:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dude your getting upset about nothing. All they showed is the tail did work for the most part. Im not saying its the perfect setup but he was told to fly it and it flew. How many Align one ways have locked up but heck Alan and Jason fly the crap out of them and dont go posting on fourm that this is a huge problem. How about the Align 22c packs that will puff under hard load... again no complaints. But again Chris was flyinga 22c pack(slightly puffed BTW) and made it look like GOLD.

Its not perfect and not alot of people can even fly like chris and dont need that insaine HS. But hell you can throw on any thrust bearing tail setup from many heli manufacturers for a reasonable price. Ive been known to do this for many heli including the Swift which has a horrible tail grip setup and does fail under the same high RPM conditions.

BTW if you didnt catch what Chris said, they are working with Gaui to help inprove their heli. He has to fly it to know what it can do and well what you see is what it does out of the box...sucks that it did alot I guess. But Im sure he knows there is a tail issues and you can most likely look forward to a better tail setup.

C
eco8gator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in