Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
dze
Registered Users

first i wouldnt do this with a large heli, but 250/450 size i do it in my living room on the floor in front of a window preferrably when the sun is shining in so i can see it good, and put tools i need to the side .. i lay down on the floor and hold the skids with my hand and spool it up with the tx off to the side with the other hand .. tracking should be dead on at zero pitch, center stick, at the headspeed you plan on using .. a large metal tool like a pipe wrench through the skids is probably a safer alternative to using your hand and a couple of pounds will hold anything 450 or smaller just fine ..
..once i have center stick zero pitch tracking set, i change out the lipo, and check it again but flip to idle up and see how it looks with a little pitch bite in both directions and tweak it if necessary to get a good happy medium if the blades arnt so great .. also while im there i note the stick position on the collective hash marks on the tx and see if i get approximately the same pitch bite at equal distances from center stick pos and neg .. this tells me if i really have my zero in the right spot on my stick ..
.. other notes ... this is just how i do it on smaller helis and i wouldnt call it safe .. also im not worried about it so i dont need to be preached to lol. DO NOT get careless and hit the cyclic while your testing thats a big no no - a hand can hold pitch just fine on the skids but cyclic can tip it and it could get away from you and then your going to be rebuilding it again .. use a fresh lipo not an old test lipo to set tracking .. all it takes is a quick look i wouldnt sit there and stare at the blades for any amount of time it just increases risk to your face and eyes ..
dze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

If you are careful setting up your head with a pitch gauge, you should only ever have to adjust a top link 1 turn or at most two. Just hover it outside at a safe distance and its easy to see when its right. Turn 1 turn on one blade remembering which blade and which direction you went. If it tracks you are done. If it get worse, you turn two turns the opposite direction. Repeat if necessary. Definitely good advice to not tie down a heli or spin it up in the house.

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92vancouver View Post
I like this. You fold the blades out to the left or the right of the heli?
Yes. Like this
Old 11-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My 400 and 500 I hold them in my hand, 0 pitch finger on TH. My arms are long so not an issue. but over a 425mm blade i won't
"Tri-Flow"
I put that S*** on everything!"
banditpowdercoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

With a 450, I place a narrow plank through the skids, on a grass lawn, hold the plank down with 2 bricks or similar, and lie on the ground about 5 metres away to check the tracking. I think ideally you need a bit of positive pitch to make it realistic, but something below hover throttle.
npomeroy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Setting up your head with a pitch gauge (especially the digital ones) will often get you dead on or very close (I know I get it) to .5 or less variance between the blades for tracking. And even then, if they go out of track you can pop it on and check to see which one's high or low.

Barring a pitch gauge I check my pitch in the air. Bench testing I do is done without main blades on. If you really wanted to do a blades on test, put plexiglass between you and the bird (or a wall) and bolt the skids to something. Pull on the head to make sure the skids aren't going to go easily if at all. And if you can do it somewhere without a ceiling. I don't trust any mechanical part enough to hold it with my hand unless it's something like an mcpx with little inertia. I am guilty of "partially" spooling my 450 while holding it to see how something is moving on it like binding. It never gets above 400 or so rpm. Probably less.

Mike Dipalo--Synergy RC, MKS Electronics
Commodore8888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 05:40 AM   #27 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by npomeroy View Post
With a 450, I place a narrow plank through the skids, on a grass lawn, hold the plank down with 2 bricks or similar, and lie on the ground about 5 metres away to check the tracking. I think ideally you need a bit of positive pitch to make it realistic, but something below hover throttle.
Now think about that for a second. Four tiny screws into plastic hold the skids on. Not really a good idea.
Even when the screws hold, it can stress the heli in ways it was never designed to handle.
Rick
Old 11-10-2011, 05:42 AM   #28 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
My 400 and 500 I hold them in my hand, 0 pitch finger on TH. My arms are long so not an issue. but over a 425mm blade i won't
So you spin it up at arms length from your head. Again, probably not the best idea.
Rick
Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I built this test rig which I have used with my T550E and Protos 500. It should handle a 700 sized heli as well.
The 2x4's at the bottom have a bit of weight and I stake it into the ground until it is level and also securing it.

There is a ball level in the middle of the lazy susan swivel, so the heli can spin, and heli is lifting two pieces of 1/4" oak plywood, a lazy susan swivel and 4 fairly light PVC pipes. It cost me less to build than 1 set of 550mm blades and has paid for itself.

Click here to see it work. http://www.onecrmpro.com/temp/HeliTest2.mp4

Old 11-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

me thinks we make too much of this. even if the tracking is off, it's not going to crash.when you lift off the 1st time, you see whats up. land and make a turn or 2 till it's right.
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #31 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Exactly. All these ways of holding the heli down, although some are very cool, are putting you in a situation where you are taking completely unnecessary risks.

Rick
Old 11-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflier1 View Post
me thinks we make too much of this. even if the tracking is off, it's not going to crash.when you lift off the 1st time, you see whats up. land and make a turn or 2 till it's right.

In the days of flybars, I would say that is true.

However, my first time setting up my electronic flybar I had a servo mapped backwards.

Interestingly enough I heard from a LOT of people very experienced heli people who had similar misadventures on their first flight.

OK, my bad I fixed the problem, but guess what? It crashed on takeoff again!

It turns out the my main bearings were shot from the first crash and I hadn't realized that and they were confusing the electronic flybar so it just rolled into the ground.

At this point I'm out 2 sets of main blades, tail blades, boom, TT, bearings and a LOT of time!!!!

So I built this test rig and sure enough reproduced my failure and sent the flight log to Skookum where they told me it looks like my main bearing was possibly shot.

So it saved me another crash! I fixed the issue tested again all was fine and I flew.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
Now think about that for a second. Four tiny screws into plastic hold the skids on. Not really a good idea.
Even when the screws hold, it can stress the heli in ways it was never designed to handle.
Rick
OK point taken. I did think about this and had the skids zip-tied to the frame as a back up. I should have said.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by npomeroy View Post
OK point taken. I did think about this and had the skids zip-tied to the frame as a back up. I should have said.
With the helis I've tested with their landing gear was plenty strong enough, and it saved the heli from a lot of damage with a blade strike!

Both the T550 and Protos 500 have the landing gear very stoutly screwed to the frame and the skids slide through the landing gear such that they are not going to come out.

What heli are you looking to try this with?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
So you spin it up at arms length from your head. Again, probably not the best idea.
Rick
Not everything has to be the best, safest idea. If that were the case, we all beter live in kevlar bubbles and never leave our houses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Tri-Flow"
I put that S*** on everything!"
banditpowdercoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Not everything has to be the best, safest idea. If that were the case, we all beter live in kevlar bubbles and never leave our houses.
Yes but Bandit... there are big risks and smaller risks. Holding spooled up heli in your (long) arms? You SHOULD get inside a kevlar bubble for that trick!

But more generally:
There is an issue for newbies setting things up correctly with the tradeoff between precision and safety. I was simply not confident/competent to hover my first CP heli in a way that I could usefully focus on the tracking. That's why I did it on the ground (safely away from me). ALSO the newbie is more likely to be inexpert at setting pitch with a gauge and NEED to confirm the tracking spun up.

My spinning up, held down on the lawn 5m away at worst could result in the heli ripping out the screws but I actually think that is unlikely at hover power (you can after all hold and shake a heli upside down by the skids - similar forces). And if it did break loose I'm not likely to be hit by it (or not any more than any number of other control mishaps).

I'm always somewhat wary when my flying heli has its blade disk at eye level anyway.

I think the biggie is FBL controllers going crazy with a tethered heli. I'd like to know if this has actually happened.

Nelson NZ
Old 11-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:

Just trying to help you and everybody who reads this. We all pick which risks are worth taking.
If even one person is saved an injury from this thread, it was well worth taking the time to post.
Rick
Old 11-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #38 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
SNIP although some are very cool, are putting you in a situation where you are taking completely unnecessary risks.

Rick
+1

Unnecessary being the key word.

A lot of accidents and injuries are preventable. The best way to prevent an accident and/or avoid an injury is to avoid the situation that's likely to result in one.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Quote:

Sure, but it's also a bad idea to knowingly put yourself into dangerous situations for no gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92vancouver View Post
When you are bench testing your heli (ie. blade tracking, etc.), what method do you use to secure it to the table?

I was thinking some old blades over the the landing gear skids secured to the table with duct tape.

I would on the kitchen table so I can't screw anything into it (Live in a condo so no work bench)
Bench testing a heli is both pointless and dangerous, the danger increasing with the size of the heli. Tracking HAS to be done with the heli in the air. Without the weight of the heli hanging from the blades the blades are NOT loaded properly and will not track as they do in flight. Personally I'll use the blade folding trick in a pinch and if i want precision I'll use one of Rick's tools that you can buy at readyheli. I've been in this hobby for years, built an uncountable number of helis and can say that after reading this thread people put WAYYYY too much thought into tracking. I haven't had to adjust a blade for tracking in a few years now, every time I check my tracking is bang on. Heck even eyeballing it you should never be more than a turn of a link off. There is no need for lasers, bench testing or anything that takes more than a few seconds. The hardest part of tracking should be seeing the blades.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
... Tracking HAS to be done with the heli in the air. Without the weight of the heli hanging from the blades the blades are NOT loaded properly and will not track as they do in flight...
A tethered heli at hover power-pitch will load the blades.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in