Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand

bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand Factory Sponsored Bavarian DEMON and HeliCommand Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Connecting retract/ PPM sum signal/Output 2

Equipment:
Jeti DS16 and R9 rx set up for PPM sum signal
BD3X
Kosmik 200

The above equipment and heli were test flown last weekend without incident, and without a retract servo connected. While trying to install retract servo today, I have run into the a minor issue. While using the provided instructions with 3X:

"A further channel is available, Output2, e.g. for speed controller gain, illumination accessories or retractable gear. This channel only supplies the signal pin. The power needs to be supplied via a Y-cable from e.g. one of the servo ports".

I pulled red and black wires from male connector on Y harness and plug into Output 2 of 3X. Plugged servo into one female connector on Y harness, then plugged other female end of Y into channel 8 of my rx (this connection needed a male/male adaptor to work). Channel 8 has been verified to operate retract servo.

I get no retract servo movement with the above connections made. With the system powered up, I can disconnect the servo from the Y harness...plug it back together and the servo works.

Prior to doing any of the above, I plugged the retract servo into channel 8 and servo would not work. While powered up, unplugged servo and plugged back in and it works fine.

I'm sure it is something simple I am missing and look forward to your help in resolving this issue.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	612129  
Gaui X5 Jive 100 Scorpion 910, Jeti DS-16

Last edited by john2kx; 10-03-2015 at 04:17 PM..
john2kx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Looking at the instructions again, I think I misunderstood where power to retract servo was to come from.

I originally pulled power from channel 8 of my rx. (red/black wires only...signal wire pulled), and plugged signal wire "only" coming from Output 2 into this Y.

I have since pulled power from one of the cyclic servos by installing a Y at 3X (left swash servo output), used the white wire "only" from Output 2 and plugged into Y.

Retract servo still does not work after normal power up. Just like when I was pulling power from rx, I can disconnect retract servo while powered up, wait a few seconds, plug it back in and the servo works.

I have verified Channel assignment on BD program (Output 2) is set to channel 8.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found this thread that looks to be the exact problem I am trying to describe. Followed the "fix" recommended but still no joy.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=673462

I saved what I thought would be the easiest thing to connect (retract servo) for last before installing my fuselage. Can't believe this thing has kicked my butt all day long. And, after thinking I had my wiring all nice and clean, I'm going to have to add two more Y harnesses and a male/male adaptor just to operate a micro retract servo.

Tried it one more time after triple checking all connections on Y's and servo still will not work....unless I unplug the Y connector that is supplying power only to servo, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in. Just for kicks, while I had the servo working, I tried to change end points via Tx and that works.

I have a feeling this is another easy fix...but I just have not found it yet.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another area I thought that may have caused issues was with servo assignment. Output 2 was originally set to channel zero. I changed it to 8 but seem to remember having the same characteristics of working after unplugging and plugging Y connection prior to making this change. Yes, I updated to "write" after making this change.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	115
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	612198  
Old 10-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found a combination that works although none of my search results show anyone doing it this way.

Plugged on/off switch into channel 8 of my rx. Other side of switch is connected to retract servo. I still have to wait until 3X and Kosmik initialize and then turn switch on. Much cleaner setup vs having 2 extra Y connectors to secure near FBL unit.

My concern is using the sum signal to control cyclic/tail servos and FBL unit and my rx for the retract servo. Bench testing shows all systems work.

All comments welcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	117
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	612309  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in