Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got 3 at the moment (1 just used for parts), but I have to get a mid, a midder, a bigger and at least one monster.
In between all that I think I need some kits, and some in betweens for fixin and making work.
I believe it is a hobby as all others.. I am a stamp collector also, and no way could you stop at one stamp!!!! Gotta have more!!!
Just my opinion

Tommyvess is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #62 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotrob View Post
I would say two, preferably the same kind. That way if one is down waiting on parts you can still fly and if for some reason you crash that one you still can rob parts off of the down one to get flying again and run out the battery packs.
Myself, I have 6, a MCPX for around the house, two 130x's and a 180cfx that I uselly take to the park. A 450 that I sometimes take to the park( the thing is huge). Two HK 250" s that I am building because the kits were cheap and I had a bunch of parts lying around, plus I think they are the perfect size for what I'm looking for. Big enough to handle some wind and not to big for the small park I fly at.
That's a good point re having two, one for parts or backup. I've managed to acquire either on purpose or by circumstance a pair in each of these model sizes: 180, 450, 500-550, 600, 700 Speed. Very handy when parts are thousands of miles away!
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 08:23 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It depends on where you live and where you get to fly...

For me in freaking freezing Canada I likely need to stay with micros. We live in the prairies and get lots of wind, that means bigger models.

I also have a redundancy issue so that if a few go down I at least have something to fly.

So for me 2-4 micros for indoor season so I can keep flying when I do get a chance.

Some smaller helis 200-400 mm bladed ones for quick flights in smaller spaces when I can.

Then the bigger models for times at the field. 500-700 helis.

I love to build and kind of got caught in getting more than I can use conceivably. some I build just because I had the parts sitting around and batteries with nothing to use them in.

Current fleet:

2 x 130x (To be replaced by oxy 2 when possible) for indoor flying.
Oxy 3
Goblin 380
Goblin 500 (likely gets the most flights due to single pack load and fly).
Atom 5.5 (remnant from my days as a field rep, local dealer shut down).
Goblin 570 (Only because I had parts sitting around...)
Goblin 630 (my first Goblin purchased for flying in crazy wind, still best wind flying heli)
Goblin 700 (Everyone needs a 700 right!)

I also have a 600 sized Airwolf with align mechanics just because I loved the show as a kid...

This year a friend gave me his fathers 40 year old P47 plane. Then all of a sudden I have to learn to fly a plane to get this thing in the air....

Now I also have:
3 foamies 22" biplane, 24" extra, and 32"ms
Parkzone T28 and Focke Wulf 32" ARF's
60" Extreme flight laser.
103" P47 electric warbird, the crown jewel at any funfly!!

I think I could lose the Goblin 570 and 630 and not really feel it that much. Other than that each seems to have their place...
Old 09-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had 5 this summer, 2 of them just collected dust. I flew them some but not enough to justify keeping them. Ended up selling 2 of them recently. For me I see no need to have more than 2 or 3 helis. Same with planks. I'm down to just having 3.
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #65 (permalink)
The Airetic

For me I look to fill "roles". I like to have one for each role. That comes down to 4 of them. If I end up adding a role, it will add a heli.

Current roles:

Large 12S: Two packs. Probably a 600-700 heli. This is the "I have all the time in the world to go fly right now" heli. Currently being filled by a Protos Max V2.

Large 6S: Single pack. Usually in the 425-550 range. Used to fly bigger but without all the hassle of running 2 packs. Overall a faster session and less of a production than taking a 700 out. Currently filled by a Logo 480 stretched to run Rail 516 blades.

Mid 6S: Single small 6S packs. Usually filled by a 325-380 sized heli. The "grab a bunch of packs and go" heli. Currently filled by the Goblin 380.

Small: Small 3 or 4S packs. Something smaller than a 325. This is the "every day, toss around, needs very little space, travels well, try new moves, jack of all trades" heli. Currently filled by an Oxy 3+.

I also have a second Goblin 380 that I am not sure if I am going to sell or if I am going to keep to make a dedicated speed heli out of. If I keep it, "Speed" will be the 5th role.

Last edited by KiloXray; 09-26-2015 at 11:47 AM..
KiloXray is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One good flying helicopter is all I need. Sure I have more than one but for the most part I only fly one. I tend not to get rid of helicopters since they end up worthless because they aren't made anymore, having only sold 2 out of all I have aquired over the years. Right now my 700 gets the majority of my helicoptering attention. Sometimes I break out the nitro 50. Once you dial them in they all pretty much fly the same so there isn't much of a need to have 50 of them unless you crash all the time. Airplanes on the other hand, they all fly different so I can see having different types. I have a 3d profile for the flippity floppity, an edf jet for jetness, a gasoline sport type for zipping around.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloXray View Post
For me I look to fill "roles". I like to have one for each role. That comes down to 4 of them. If I end up adding a role, it will add a heli.

Current roles:

Large 12S: Two packs. Probably a 600-700 heli. This is the "I have all the time in the world to go fly right now" heli. Currently being filled by a Protos Max V2.

Large 6S: Single pack. Usually in the 425-550 range. Used to fly bigger but without all the hassle of running 2 packs. Overall a faster session and less of a production than taking a 700 out. Currently filled by a Logo 480 stretched to run Rail 516 blades.

Mid 6S: Single small 6S packs. Usually filled by a 325-380 sized heli. The "grab a bunch of packs and go" heli. Currently filled by the Goblin 380.

Small: Small 3 or 4S packs. Something smaller than a 325. This is the "every day, toss around, needs very little space, travels well, try new moves, jack of all trades" heli. Currently filled by an Oxy 3+.

I also have a second Goblin 380 that I am not sure if I am going to sell or if I am going to keep to make a dedicated speed heli out of. If I keep it, "Speed" will be the 5th roll.

I have also been thinking about different roles for my helis, I have them for my Planks, and FPV set ups.

Currently my Oxy 3 is awaiting parts... An my 180cfx only flies in still wind. So for me it is my current fleet + something bigger to handle the wind when I go to the club field.

QF-Servo | Lynx/OXY Heli & FPV field rep
Theunisjr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 11:23 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think roles are the best way to look at this unless you are a collector.

We each have different roles.

For me I see 3 roles
  • beaters
  • speed
  • light graceful

Beaters - I think you can have more than one heli in the role of beater depending on how badly you beat on them.

I also think all roles can be fulfilled in a single size class.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #69 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

I've also grouped my heli's by roles, pretty much denoted by battery size:

180: really close by field
450: further out field but still nearby
550: beater heli
700 12S: smooth flying
700 14S: aggressive flying
700 14+S: speed flying
Old 09-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I would like to have something like that:

1.- Gaui X3 for the park and near home.
2.- Logo 400SE just love it, cheap, light, useful
2.- Logo 550SX for almost everything
3.- Goblin 500 Sport to hear the sound and admire the machine inside.

No want to have a two packs heli.
I have just sold my Goblin 380, each crash cost 180€

Last edited by Wind; 09-26-2015 at 03:36 PM..
Wind is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

In addition to flying, I love the research and building process in this hobby. It has been around a year since I last built a new heli (X3) and I am getting the itch to build one again. My next one is likely a true 550... I already have the servos and FBL controller but still not quite 100% sure on which frame I will be using but most likely a Logo 550SX.

One size I would never have without is a 700 class heli... That size is what gives me the most adrenaline rush.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it depends on time. I get out once each weekend day if the wife is cool with it for a little over an hour. So I like to have two of each size for the field. If I fly close I use 360-380. If I go to the empty housing lot, 500-600. I fly back to back on different models to let one cool. I recently added planes so don't always take two helis. I love all my helis now so when I add a 700 I can't decide what to let go.

I think the right number is what fits your circumstances. If I could only have one it would be my X3.

I found components to be more important than helis. So I went all Spirit and sold some other models. Rescue keeps me from crashing. Only bird to go down all season is 180 and that is cause it doesn't have the Spirit.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krea View Post
If I could only have one it would be my X3.
Interesting thought, can you explain a bit more?
Old 09-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought an X3 because I missed having a 450 size that I could throw around without worrying too much about crashing it. My 500 is a nice middle-of-the-road heli in terms of flight characteristics, crash costs, presence, etc. The 600 fills my need for a big heli, and shares packs with my 500. I'm starting to think about maybe building a scale heli, so I'll have something to tinker with for a long time to come.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thirty eight.
CrashandBurn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have .. lemme see....

Helicopters
6 x Blade Nano CPX to so can fly indoors because its very windy in these parts of the USA ( and no I am not talking about wind bags although.. I could have, I guess). Typically a few of them are on the bench for check-up. I plan to " invest"in a few Nano CPS for indoor flight purpose. I "hope" the parts of the S-version will be interchangeable for the most part.

8 x Protos 500 in flying condition, all with AR7200BX and Scorpion motor but different brand servos. I also have 1-2 already built that will serve as back-up in case I blow up a Protos 500 that needs a complete rebuild. I also have sufficient spares to build at least 2-3 more Protos 500.

Airplanes
5-6 x Twisted Hobby 32 inch foam (Crack Yak - MSX-C - Bach 342)
2 x Value Hobby Laser 32 inch foam
2 x Value Hobby G202 Giles foam
1 x Fancy Foam 39 inch SBach 342 foam
2 x MultiPlex ParkMaster
2 x Tuff Wing 34 inch ( for sale)
1 x HobbyKing Hummer
Half of the foam planes are still unbuilt but winter is a'comin.!!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

HarryR ohh my God!!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryR View Post
Half of the foam planes are still unbuilt but winter is a'comin.!!
"Winter" in San Mateo, CA?
SamCSx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

How many? All of them. Seriously, would be hard to keep track of a fleet like that. I think "Ah Clem" is working hard on accomplishing that feat! Myself, up to 14 at the moment. My dream fleet would include one of every Henseleit made.
jiminator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
HarryR ohh my God!!
What???

PS I better not tell you about the "fleet" of MCPX / BL / 130X/ 450X I had.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in