Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default That's what it's there for.

Yep, it does its' job to protect the screen from minor cratches.
MTDV is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

After applying these types of films to other devices, I have found that it's best to apply the film the restroom. Turn your shower on full hot and let the room fog up. The humidity will greatly reduce the amount of particulate in the air. Turn the A/C off for a minute while you put the film on in case it kicks on and blows in some dust. I just ordered a set for my new X9303... can't wait!
gravydrive is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjvail View Post
(In fact, if folks still don't have a Screen Protector on their transmitter after two attempts, let me know.)

I just thought I would do a quick post. I recently purchased 2 x DX-7 packs and 2 x Spare \ Blank sheets, shipped to Australia.

Blanks sheets are going GREAT guns. I have cut and fit many protectors now to things like my Logitech 6100T gyro screens, Harmony universal remote touch screens, Nokia Phones, $1300 PDA's. List goes on and on and I am nearly out of the "blank sheets".

However, the pre-cut DX-7 ones I am struggling with. I am now onto my 2nd pack (or 3rd protector) and I am still having trouble to get it to "seal" around the buttons. At first I thought it was the way I was applying them, screen not clean enough etc - so i gave up and tried to "wait it out" and see if the "wetting agent" sealed down after a few days\week. After succesfully doing PDA's screens and Gyros and I returned to the DX-7 to try again. After having so much success with the "blank" sheets, I thought I would ask the question about the specific DX-7 pre-cut one

Q.What else can i do to get the areas that are pre-cut to "seal" down around the button cut-outs. Its like a "raised lip" compeltly around the buttons as if there is no "wetting agent" left near the cut-out. Wierd.

Normally that little gap woudlnt be an an issue (say near a screen edge), but with the slighly raised film - dust and grit works its way off of fingers, to between the edge of the film and the LCD screen surfance and thus gets worse and worse - requiring to lift it off and try again. Eventually I get frustrated and start afresh with a newer pre-cut one.

Right out of the gate, just so as we are clear, I love the product and not trying to skam freebies\replacements but rather advice (at least until the last one i have donest work .. lol), from the community and\or vendor.

I will give it a few more days on the 3rd one, but I want to get some advice before trying to apply the 4th and last one i have left from that order. I will subscribe to this thread for any updates \ tips \ ideas but either manufacture or other people who have seen this issue.
Gaui EP550 CF PRO, Retired
OzDruiD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just purchased a set for my X9303 and they look real nice. I am more comfortable now that I have the added security. It was very easy to install and there was air bubbles but as mentioned I let it go for a day and all bubbles were gone. Very nice product.
smoothie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #25 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Just installed mine on my 12X. Works way better than the prototype I tried on my 14MZ. Excellent, AAA+++ thank you well worth the $$.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Q.What else can i do to get the areas that are pre-cut to "seal" down around the button cut-outs. Its like a "raised lip" compeltly around the buttons as if there is no "wetting agent" left near the cut-out. Wierd.
Normally that little gap woudlnt be an an issue (say near a screen edge), but with the slighly raised film - dust and grit works its way off of fingers, to between the edge of the film and the LCD screen surfance and thus gets worse and worse - requiring to lift it off and try again. Eventually I get frustrated and start afresh with a newer pre-cut one.
Right out of the gate, just so as we are clear, I love the product and not trying to skam freebies\replacements but rather advice (at least until the last one i have donest work .. lol), from the community and\or vendor.
OzDruiD... Sorry it has take a day or two to get back to you on this. I have been traveling and away from my desk... Also... I wanted to give this more thought...

First, thank you for your kind words and civil response.

I wish I could tell you we have an quick answer and an easy fix for the question/problem you describe but I really don't. Chuck (my business partner) and I have discussed this and we don't have a pre-packaged answer.

If there is, in fact, a "lip" around the button holes the film will NOT lay flat. The "adhesive" on the film works well for what it was intended for but will not accommodate raised bits on the face of the LCD. Anyone who has gotten dust under the film can attest to that. When you look at the edge of an LCD faceplate by JR or Futaba transmitter very carefully, you will notice the plastic at the edges in not as "sharp" or "square" as you might hope. For these reasons, we design a clearance around the edges and button holes of most of our Screen Protectors. We found that without this clearance, the edges sometimes didn't lay flat or, more often, without some tolerance, modelers had trouble applying them.

In the case of the DX-7 there should be enough clearance around the button holes to avoid whatever lip may have been left when the LCD filter was cut.

Make sure there is NO oil around these button holes. ANY Castor or model fuel will prevent the film from clinging well. When I talk to the adhesive engineers they point out that the film will not accommodate oil. In fact, they pointed out that in most cases, finger prints left during application are not from the print itself, but from the slight oils left behind that prevent the film from wetting out.

Finally, although you specifically didn't ask for a replacement set of Screen Protectors, I have sent out another set of DX-7s today. Chuck and I are both modelers and I have a very good idea how I would feel in your situation. We really want happy modelers and will do what it takes to get your transmitter protected to your satisfaction.

Please let us know how it goes.

Bill

Last edited by wjvail; 01-30-2009 at 06:37 PM..
wjvail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Finally, although you specifically didn't ask for a replacement set of Screen Protectors, I have sent out another set of DX-7s today. Chuck and I are both modelers and I have a very good idea how I would feel in your situation. We really want happy modelers and will do what it takes to get your transmitter protected to your satisfaction.

Please let us know how it goes.

Bill
WOW! What can i say. There is a company that looks after its customers folks. Plain and simple.

As far as an update on the applying the film, I am going to get a photographer friend of mine with lens cleaning solution and appropriate tissues and such to have a go. Also, point taken about the "centering" over the buttons. My allignment \ application of the film and the allignment of the cut out around the buttons is certainly not "even" and maybe the "lip" is interefering in some spots.

I dont know - I cant see anything to the naked eye. The finger oils stuff, I will get my friend to use his SLR lens cleaner first on my LCD Screen and try and apply the film with film tweesers or wateva he thinks will work.

I have seen the film do an awesome job around other parts the LCD screen - so its just a matter of time \ trial and error to get it fitted correctly around the buttons etc, and I will have awesome protection across my entire LCD screen.

One again, Thanks very much to Bill, Chuck and the RC Protectors company for going "above and beyond" to help modellers.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

to get the film to lay flat you may have to heat it slightly. Now be forewarned that heating it will activate the adhesive. Further, you should have it where you need it elsewhere b/c you basically will get one shot at this. Also, a mix of 20-30% rubbing alcohol(90+%) and distilled wather might help. I'm basing this information on some similar 3m material I've worked with in the past, and I could be WAY off here, so if the seller/business says DON'T do this then by all means follow their info.

Also, if this material is what I think it is, by wetting the screen with a mix of dawn dish soap and water, about a %10-20 soap to distilled water mix. you can slide the screen around all you like to line it up. Squeegy out the excess. Being careful not to get water in the buttons. The key here would be a fine mist and then as you squeege out the water, you will need a towel there to collect it before it drips.

Again, disclaimer, PRIOR to anyone trying this, I would like the seller to comment. I will pm him as well with a few ?'s as I could be way off on what this material is and I don't want to post it here.
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

CoronaL... Bill here from RC Screen Protectors. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Other folks in other forums have asked if we use the 3M material for our Screen Protectors. The material we use is not from 3M but I think I know the film you are referring to. I've used it on my motorcycle tanks to prevent scratches. Here is a link to the material I think we are talking about. (http://www.thetankslapper.biz/installation.html)

This is not the material we use. The film we use is produced for application on LCDs. There are considerable differences. The first is that the film is closer to a thin polycarbonate and for that reason, it will not stretch. Heat is not required.

Other have asked us about "floating" the protectors on with Windex or alcohol. This is not recommended by our film supplier. My instinct is that it will work fine, but we can't verify how the adhesive will respond, over time, after having been applied with a fluid. Most folks find that with attention to detail, and because of the size of our application, fluid is not needed.

And finally, CoronaL asked in a personal message which 9303 we were shipping. Are we shipping the the Screen Protector cut with a large or smaller tolerance? All Screen Protectors for the 9303 are the "new" Screen Protector cut will less clearance. All of our Screen Protectors have some clearance and the amount varies with the size and complexity of the LCD screen. On the original die for the 9303 we had too much clearance and quickly made a tighter fitting version.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by wjvail; 02-08-2009 at 07:58 PM..
wjvail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok please disregard ALL of what I said lol

Was just trying to help, but once again I missed the mark hehe!

Thanks for taking your time to come here and clarify Bill
Great service and support.
I'll be getting some screen protectors when I can

Quote:
CoronaL... Bill here from RC Screen Protectors. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Other folks in other forums have asked if we use the 3M material for our Screen Protectors. The material we use is not from 3M but I think I know the film you are referring to. I've used it on my motorcycle tanks to prevent scratches. Here is a link to the material I think we are talking about. (http://www.thetankslapper.biz/installation.html)

This is not the material we use. The film we use is produced for application on LCDs. There are considerable differences. The first is that the film is closer to a thin polycarbonate and for that reason, it will not stretch. Heat is not required.

Other have asked us about "floating" the protectors on with Windex or alcohol. This is not recommended by our film supplier. My instinct is that it will work fine, but we can't verify how the adhesive will respond, over time, after having been applied with a fluid. Most folks find that with attention to detail, and because of the size of our application, fluid is not needed.

And finally, CoronaL asked in a personal message which 9303 we were shipping. The Screen Protector cut with a large or smaller tolerance. All Screen Protectors for the 9303 will be the "new" Screen Protector cut will less clearance. All of our Screen Protectors have some clearance and the amount varies with the size and complexity of the LCD screen. On the original die for the 9303 we had too much clearance and quickly made another die.

Cheers,

Bill
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDruiD View Post
I dont know - I cant see anything to the naked eye. The finger oils stuff, I will get my friend to use his SLR lens cleaner first on my LCD Screen and try and apply the film with film tweesers or wateva he thinks will work.
Update from me. Recieved the replacements (Thanks very VERY much RC Protectors). Looks like success.

1) Mate cleaned my TX with some photo lens cleaning solutions and then wiped with neutral cleaning tissues
2) "blew" it try with a air thing in a clean environment
3) Applied new Protector with aid of tweesers

Looks good now .. really does. Its still not 100% - gaps around the outer edges and smaller ones around buttons still but only very small and these may adhere down with time - as outlined in the FAQ. Forgot to take a macro shot BEFORE we applied the new one - but i will get one done in a day or so of this NEW one applied.

Thanks again RC Protectors!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in