Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2015, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Best Nitro for the buck?

Newbie Heli flier, flying 200SRX and just started hovering my B450X. Only complaint so far is the shirt flight times. Thinking of purchasing a nitro. Any thoughts on brand, size, and dollars. I live in Canada if that changes anything. Maybe should be looking at used.
Heli ascot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Only just started to hover a 450? You should really fly a 450 in all orientations, even inverted, and be good at it before you even think of a 600 class heli. I personaly switched to 600 after a year and a half of 450s and micros (including 3D flying) and I still find my 600N intimidating. It is a different kind of beast and you really need plenty of experience and knowledge to fly and maintain a model like this. Just keep flying the 450, buy more packs and endure the 4 mins of flight for a bit more time. A 600 class will ruin your day and your pockets at your current skills.
Alexatu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you. Sounds like a good plan.
Had heard the larger Heli are sometimes easier to learn on as they are not as twitchy and more visible.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started with a align 600 and thats all I've had. 15 years ago I had a shuttle and back then I was told the bigger they are the easyer to fly.And now I know thats true.Just like with planes the bigger the wings the better they glide.
wallra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I started with a Raptor 30, then a trex 450, and finally a 600n. The size of the 450 gave me the courage to try stuff I wouldn't do with the raptor. So it really did serve a purpose in my flying progression. That said, the 600 is so much nicer to fly. You'll have a little learning curve on engine tuning and throttle curves, but once you figure that out its easy flying.

I say if you can afford one, go for it. You won't regret it. I break out the 450 when I can't get to a field, but my 600 gets the most flight time.
cudakid03 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Master the 450 first.
mugen 1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli ascot View Post
Thank you. Sounds like a good plan.
Had heard the larger Heli are sometimes easier to learn on as they are not as twitchy and more visible.
With modern FBL controllers, even a tiny 250 can be incredibly stable, and a 450 is a great platform.

Visibility is a valid reason to prefer a larger model, but a 450 should still be plenty big enough to see clearly :-)

I generally recommend micros and a sim to anybody learning the hobby, low cost or free crashes really help you learn to fly with far less expense or frustration. But micros aren't for everybody, and if you want a larger model a 450 size is just perfect.

And just to end, if you do want a larger model, I think a 600 nitro is perfect. Its lower up front cost than a large electric as you don't need expensive batteries or a charger, and there are some real second hand bargains to be had at the moment. Large electric models also have more risks imo, you have to know how to handle the batteries, how to set up the model safely, and a LiPo fire could mean a write off.

You'll also learn better collective management on a nitro, you can really hear them bog down if you're too heavy on the sticks.

That combination of relatively low cost, collective management skills, and 8+ minute flying times make them a great learning platform when you're ready for a bigger model.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you have a local hobby shop
Do you fly with anybody else
If you do what do they fly

Some one local to you will be a lot of help
Especially if they have the same brand/model

If not I would look at a trex 600 it seems as if everybody carries parts for them

When I and a lot of other people I know started there wasn't any electrics or sims
and we survived with all our limbs and etc.

You just need to respect it and not push your luck

I wouldn't buy used
Until your familiar with nitro helis

You could end up with someone elses junk
banshee rider is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good point about the used equip.
Yes I am rejoining the local flying club. Used to fly rc fixed wing some twenty years ago. Support from club and its members is huge asset. Really appreciating the support here from all at HF. What an incredible resource!
Old 04-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Since you're rejoining the flying club check out what other people are flying. This was a big help for me when I first started. Most everybody where I lived at the time flew Trex's. Made it alot easier on me using the same model as them because of their knowledge. I started with an Mcpx. While learning hovering and take-off and landings (which I could do in my living room) I picked up a Trex 700n kit to build. By the time it was built I had my basics down. Took a couple of months.

With one of the local guys meeting me at the flying field and my brand new shiny bird in hand I made the jump. It was very scary at first because of the noise and size but after all that subsided it was really alot easier (for me personally) to fly the 700. I had all the rates and pitch curves dumbed down so it wasn't jumpy. It was very stable. Of course you could accomplish all the same things with a 450. This was just how I learned. I actually at one point between the mcpx and the 700 bought a Blade 400 but never really liked it very much.

Have fun with whatever you decide to do.
jiminator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli ascot View Post
Newbie Heli flier, flying 200SRX and just started hovering my B450X. Only complaint so far is the shirt flight times. Thinking of purchasing a nitro. Any thoughts on brand, size, and dollars. I live in Canada if that changes anything. Maybe should be looking at used.
There are good used nitro helis. Some are bind and fly. I think any newer style Fbl would be a good choice. It doesn't have to be DFC as an example. If you want good power I recommend a OS55 or YS60 for the engine. Either seem to be good choices.

A TREX 600N seems very good. I ended up with a TSA 600N which is also very good. As long as you can get parts and get them for a reasonable price you should be good to go. I would have chosen the Trex if I hadn't run across a TSA. I see a lot of people happy with the Raptor.

I do recommend nitro for longer flight times, which equates to more stick time. It will be easier to see. It is more docile than any 450 or 500 size. And the smoke trail also aids in orientation on nice days; cloudy days not so much.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

a good "small" nitro will be a GAUI NX4 is a ~500 size and there is a BNF for like $1000... all you need is a TX and some nitro.

SmackTalk RC Quick Tips #5 - The GAUI NX4 (1 hr 7 min 4 sec)
Grittner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still think the best nitro for the buck is likely a clean used Align 600N. Many of them around, parts everywhere, and they are easy to work on. Tricky part of a nitro heli until a person attains the experience is throttle setup and engine tuning. I've never flown without a governor, but they can test your patience. Especially breaking in a new engine. Compound this with learning the flying, and it can be a handful. Still, answering your question, can't go wrong with a T-Rex. I'd shop for a bargain in the classifieds.

Be careful right now if you do...Thunder Tiger just announced they are abandoning all their nitro models, so people will be unloading them. Problem is, they will no longer produce parts. You don't want to go there.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not trying to be funny but what seems to be overlooked in this discussion is
the fuel costs. Don't know for sure but I think I've heard people say nitro fuel there is really expensive. Maybe something to check??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in