Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #121 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

I tried greasing the 14SG collective. Made it worse. Won't be trying that again. I cleaned off the grease and applied the Teflon mod. Worked a charm.

Here's the link: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=601785

and a thread discussing the use of it and stick tension:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=731573
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Getting ready to do this to my T14SGH so that there is a bit more tension for the Collective.
Are there any more tips for removing the back section of the TX. itself (?)

Reason I ask is that I found a funny-looking "plug" type piece that looks to be a rivet of some sorts (?)
I believe this needs to be removed (or at least the head part-of it) to be able to remove the back section.

I remember seeing a thread early-on about doing a few mods to the 8FG Super and the T14SG that included this type information but I am unable to find it again

I would also like to do the Collective endpoint-mod. while I'm in there

Futaba 14SGH FASST / FASSTest
HilliHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2016, 12:36 AM   #123 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

I don't remember anything special in taking it apart other than you need to peel back and off the pliable plastic. I always end up unscrewing extra screws, usually around the antenna, so check on the necessity as you go.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks

Futaba 14SGH FASST / FASSTest
HilliHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Went to a local large model event locally, and I had it in the back of my mind that I might see a stall selling the 18SZ at a huge discount. Sadly, I was wrong: the cheapest I saw one was about 10% typical UK price.

BUT! As fate would have it, I saw one listed on the BMFA classifieds for £550 which is about 35% off RRP, so I just had to have it Made the payment today so should have it later this week.

I have ZERO necessity for it. It was purely a "I want a new, shiny toy with a pretty screen and buttons". Always wanted something like the 14MZ or 18MZ but they were always too expensive. Would have been daft buying relatively old tech such as a 14MZ now, even though they can be had for new 14SG prices, used.

I'll get some pics up once it arrives
Old 08-17-2016, 12:53 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome I would love to have one as well. Even though like you I have zero real need just like it.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well after a horrific messing about from the courier, it has arrived! It is a beauty, but is a lot bigger and heavier than I was expecting so it'll take a bit of time adjusting. I am used to the 8FG featherweight.

Going to have a play around tonight. It's on 1.5E so I believe I've an update to apply
Old 08-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't read this whole thread so not sure if anyone else is having the same issues as I am.

Upgraded to the 18SZ last February from my 14SGH. Loved the radio but have had a few unexcusable quality hiccups.
My first 18SZ went back to Tower Hobbies as it would "lose" all my programmed information within a week of receiving it.
My 2nd 18SZ has been good, but all sound from the speaker has recently stopped working! It went in and out for a few weeks now it doesn't work at all. NO sound on startup/shutdown, or any voice warnings I had setup.
Only the vibration works now for my alarms.
Needless to say this radio will be going back to Futaba.
As a lifelong Futaba customer, I am appalled at how unreliable my 18SZ has been.
One of the biggest reasons I have stayed with Futaba has been their legendary reliability!
Maybe its time to rethink this a bit!
Anybody else have the speaker go out on them? (18SZ finally had a speaker loud enough to hear as compared to 14SG)
seefest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2016, 03:31 AM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
I haven't read this whole thread so not sure if anyone else is having the same issues as I am.

Upgraded to the 18SZ last February from my 14SGH. Loved the radio but have had a few unexcusable quality hiccups.
My first 18SZ went back to Tower Hobbies as it would "lose" all my programmed information within a week of receiving it.
My 2nd 18SZ has been good, but all sound from the speaker has recently stopped working! It went in and out for a few weeks now it doesn't work at all. NO sound on startup/shutdown, or any voice warnings I had setup.
Only the vibration works now for my alarms.
Needless to say this radio will be going back to Futaba.
As a lifelong Futaba customer, I am appalled at how unreliable my 18SZ has been.
One of the biggest reasons I have stayed with Futaba has been their legendary reliability!
Maybe its time to rethink this a bit!
Anybody else have the speaker go out on them? (18SZ finally had a speaker loud enough to hear as compared to 14SG)
That's a real shame and not something you hear often about futaba. I have to admit that the touch screen and some of the programming methods of the 18sz has left me a little underwhelmed, but aside from those, it's fantastic.

It's easy for me to sit here and say it but try not to let one bad experience put you off a quality brand. I'd be hounding them for a new handset.

Last edited by PlaneHazza; 08-24-2016 at 03:17 AM..
PlaneHazza is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneHazza View Post
That's a real shame and not some Hong you hear often about futaba. I have to admit that the touch screen and some of the programming methods of the 18sz has left me a little underwhelmed, but aside from those, it's fantastic.

It's easy for me to sit here and say it but try not to let one bad experience put you off a quality brand. I'd be hounding them for a new handset.
I bought my first Futaba in 1982. That first radio still works perfectly.(as does every Futaba I've bought since)

I hope my experience with the dodgy 18SZ is not a trend in the wrong direction for them. We'll see.
seefest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #131 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Thought I'd give the 18SZ just a bit more love.

I've reached 350 hours, most of it simming but with some smattering of flying as well

Still going strong. Only thing that has become an ever so slight problem is one or two switches coming loose. I just use my fingernails to re-tighten. I should use the appropriate tool to get the job done but some things we just let linger. It's only the tail rates switch anyway.

Hope others are experiencing the same level of quality.

If Futaba is reading this, Ya right, time to focus on sw and integration not hw. That path leads to JR...
Old 07-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #132 (permalink)

I love my 18SZ for comfort and pretty looks but...

I have come to the conclusion that the software was written by a new software engineering graduate who is hell bent on showing us how smart he/she is. The instructions are next to useless with little if any real world examples of how to configure a model.

I have previously defended Futaba for their +100 0 -100 pitch and throttle curves but now wonder why we cant just switch to a standard 0 to 100 setting.

The user interface to me is very confusing and overwhelming. I have never felt this way with JR.
anon7906555 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its a great transmitter and the feel is for me the reason I love with its releability but its lacking in software

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G928F met Tapatalk
MrEmail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #134 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Time for a bit more love:

I've reached over 500 hours now on the 18SZ. Still loving it. Had a minor mishap and impaled the idle up switch. Have since replaced it. Managed to find a device to tighten the switches. It's from JR and a tad too big but does get the job done with a bit of practice. One of my side trims has become loose from all the case invasions. The LHS has explained how to fix that so looking forward to that also being sorted.

Will be great if the 18SZ can be used to program the CGY760. I'm hoping that combination can offer some competition to the quick deployment and adjustment of the latest mainstream FBL's.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:13 AM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would love to see futaba run neck and neck with the others in that department but I don't see it happening. I would be back on futaba if I could do everything from the transmitter as easily as I can now on the other brand.
jsbach#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #136 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Here's hoping

I managed to sort the loosened trim by loosening the top switches and then tightening them once the case fully closed around the trims. The switch positions were ever so slightly impacting the case sealing fully.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in