Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First FPV system?

Hi all,

I know it’s probably been handled hundreds of times but please help guide me to a good beginner medium to long range FPV system. I am considering to go for a 2.4 1000mW system like the one from hobby king. Are they any good? What transmitter will you recommend if I go for the 2,4 on the video and OSD?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/__21323__2_4GHZ_1000mW_Tx_Rx_1_3_inch_CCD_Camera_5 20_PAL.html

Thanks for the help!
Tristin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Only fm, I'm afraid.

If you use 2.4 for flight control think about 5.8ghz for v-tx. You can get a 1 watt tx in 5.8 that will reach out an ungodly distance.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I’m currently using 2,4 on my flight control but thought 2,4 might be better for the video feed. If I stick to the 2,4 on flight control and go 900mHZ for the video like would that be good or would you still suggest I go with 5,8 for better distance?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Is this any good as I don’t want to purchase twice,

http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/complete-fpv-setups/5.8ghz/fat-shark-5.8ghz-complete-long-range-system

or should I be looking at upgrading my plane link as well. I’m considering the reaper as my FPV platform. Any good?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity
Old 12-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

910mhz, (USA), can and will step on 2.4 ghz.

Nothing wrong with Fatshark, just remember you can not
mix and match, so do your homework.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Frequency selection is probably one of the most important decisions you need to make and can mean the difference between a good experience and a smashed model. As a beginner myself I can tell you first hand that you probably won't be doing any "long range" flying for a while. Concentrating on building a totally bombproof short to mid-range solution will yield the most value at this point.

As a general rule of thumb lower frequencies will propagate better at lower output powers and be less susceptible to path interference, eg. 500mW 900MHz will go further than 5.8GHz at the same power. New higher frequency (5.8GHz) VTX hardware is higher bandwidth and be capable of carrying a higher quality image. This is probably much-of-a-muchness when you're talking about 480 / 540 TVL and 640x480 / 800x600 anyway.

Keep your VTX and RCRX as far away both in spectrum and physical location on the model to each other as possible. If you're running 2.4GHz RCRX suggest either 900MHz or 5.8GHz VTX. These are probably the two best choices given that 2.4GHz is the predominate RCRX control method. I'm pretty sure 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz are both unlicensed basically everywhere but you'll need to check up on 900MHz licensing in your particular location.

With regards to range; your 2.4GHz control link should keep you occupied in this regard for a fair while. Once you want to go further out you can upgrade your RCTX with a 500mW/1W 2.4GHz amplifier and better antenna, followed by a 4xxMHz UHF system when you want to really push it.
SiNYKAL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in