Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Better Batteries??

Hey guys, I've recently upgraded one of my 450's with the Hyperion 2221-3595 motor with the 12T pinion...and while it's been a good power increase over stock...my flight time are cut in half. Now I expected some time loss, but down from 5/5.5 minutes with FFF and some light 3D flips rolls loops, practicing hovers and some inverted I'm now down to about 3.2 minutes per battery ending between 11.39V - 11.29V on 3s 2200mah eflights and Nanotechs. Can anyone suggest a battery upgrade that may help with longer flights? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LubeMan1; 06-19-2013 at 09:32 AM..
LubeMan1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where is the u tube video of the guy flying an rc helicopter with jumper cables off a car battery when I need it?

I think you can do better by going back to your old motor than by looking for larger batteries. Or buy more batteries and accept the short flight times.
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could use higher mAh rated batteries. However, they might not fit utilizing the stock canopy.
DX9, DX6i, Blade Nano CP X, ZYX "Blade" 130X, Blade 180 CFX, Blade 230S, Blade 300X, Blade 450 3D (about 2 b FBL; have the parts, not the time), Blade 180QX, Blade 230S V2, Convergence, Mini Convergence.
Neunerball is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neunerball View Post
You could use higher mAh rated batteries. However, they might not fit utilizing the stock canopy.
This is why we call it a dilemma.

Your choices:

1. Accept the shorter times.
2. Get a motor that requires less juice. (such as the one you replaced)
3. Add more mah and accept the tradeoffs that come with it.

Weight as a trade off is a given. More money thrown at it might slightly reduce weight.
The size problem can be somewhat overcome with a bigger canopy.
Given a larger canopy and a bigger battery up front you may have balance considerations. You might overcome the balance issues by putting a 2nd battery between the skids with Velcro to the frame and wired in parallel with the other battery.

You might look at the high end and expensive batteries to add a few seconds. Probably diminishing returns. You might look at a 2250 to 2650 size battery and a canopy that might fit over it such as perhaps a Fusano EX. And make balance adjustments as required.

Seems to me that the redneck way...other than the jumper cables to a car battery would be to just Velcro a 2nd battery of same size to bottom of frame between skids with appropriate wiring.

Or just put your helicopter away for a few years. When you take it out, newer, lighter batteries with more mah for the same weight will have been developed.

Pardon me for taking out my boredom on your thread.
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by megawhacker View Post
This is why we call it a dilemma.

Your choices:

1. Accept the shorter times.
2. Get a motor that requires less juice. (such as the one you replaced)
3. Add more mah and accept the tradeoffs that come with it.

Weight as a trade off is a given. More money thrown at it might slightly reduce weight.
The size problem can be somewhat overcome with a bigger canopy.
Given a larger canopy and a bigger battery up front you may have balance considerations. You might overcome the balance issues by putting a 2nd battery between the skids with Velcro to the frame and wired in parallel with the other battery.

You might look at the high end and expensive batteries to add a few seconds. Probably diminishing returns. You might look at a 2250 to 2650 size battery and a canopy that might fit over it such as perhaps a Fusano EX. And make balance adjustments as required.

Seems to me that the redneck way...other than the jumper cables to a car battery would be to just Velcro a 2nd battery of same size to bottom of frame between skids with appropriate wiring.

Or just put your helicopter away for a few years. When you take it out, newer, lighter batteries with more mah for the same weight will have been developed.

Pardon me for taking out my boredom on your thread.
Lol!!, I guess I'll just put it away and get one of those Mall Heli's with the big blades!!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by megawhacker View Post
Where is the u tube video of the guy flying an rc helicopter with jumper cables off a car battery when I need it?

I think you can do better by going back to your old motor than by looking for larger batteries. Or buy more batteries and accept the short flight times.
More batteries on the way!! going to try out the Glacier Lipo's.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

More batteries is always a good thing, I'm at 7x 2.2ah 3s packs. But even more important IMO is have a good charging setup. What are you using to charge with?
Wolfmetalfab is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

This might work-
2700mah 203g
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Compared to a 2200 zippy @ 215g

The connectors are different and may present an issue but could be changed
jrjr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmetalfab View Post
More batteries is always a good thing, I'm at 7x 2.2ah 3s packs. But even more important IMO is have a good charging setup. What are you using to charge with?
I'm using a ICharger 306B with a parallel board for six batteries with a 12v source at the field and at home...thinking about getting a PSU for home though but for now it works fine..charging batts is not really and issue.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
This might work-
2700mah 203g
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Compared to a 2200 zippy @ 215g

The connectors are different and may present an issue but could be changed
I think that batt may be too long @ 134mm with the stock canopy considering the batts I'm using are about 104mm and its a tight fit already.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LubeMan1 View Post
I'm using a ICharger 306B with a parallel board for six batteries with a 12v source at the field and at home...thinking about getting a PSU for home though but for now it works fine..charging batts is not really and issue.
Sounds like you have the charger side covered
I'm running a PowerLabs 6 off 12v or 24v worth of SLA's or 12v 54A (x2) server psu..
But back to flight times, only thing I can think of would be looking at going to a 4s setup...
Wolfmetalfab is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I looked @ that also but I think the batteries again are pretty big for the almost stock setup...may just live with the shorter times for now.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could always run a second pack hung under the frame,1300mah 3S. It's not ideal but you will have longer flights.
CrashandBurn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I won't ever buy Nanotechs again. My otherwise stock 4503d with 440 motor comes down with the Nanotechs puffed. Even the Eflites only come down slightly warm.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Better Batteries??

Duplicate
Old 06-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

"I won't ever buy Nanotechs again. My otherwise stock 4503d with 440 motor comes down with the Nanotechs puffed. Even the Eflites only come down slightly warm."

I've been fortunate then with the Nano-tech's...only slightly puffed and the e-flights don't puff at all but both are pretty warm after 3.20mins with the hyperion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in