Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default TM1000 Flickering Red LED

I have a TM1000, a Skookum SK-540 and a Castle Creations Edge 80HV.
The Edge has a white "AUX" lead and I have the Edge setup to use this as RPM out.
The SK-540 is setup to use its internal gov and the IO-C port is set as RPM-In.

The TM1000 "data" cable is plugged into the SK-540 "IO-B" port - but the orange wire is cut - so it only gets power & ground from the SK-540 to power the TM1000.

When the white wire is connected to the SK-540's "IO-C" port, the SK-540 does a great job controlling Head Speed. It is accurate and stable.

I want to split the white "AUX" wire from the Edge ESC and run both the IO-C port and the RPM port on the TM1000.

I ended up with a Y-cable for only the white wire. One side is a mini-connector that plugs into the TM1000 "RPM" port and the other is the standard servo connector that plugs into the "IO-C" port on the SK-540.

Nothing catches on fire or smokes - that's good.

And, when the motor is running, the RPM readout on my DX9 shows the TM1000 is reading the motor pulses correctly. With the proper gear ratio and pole-count, the RPM reading is in the ballpark of what I expect (around 2250).

2 Things:
1) I do not know if the SK-540 is still reading the pulses until I fly it. I don't know if it an SK-540 problem or the CC Edge problem, but without a load on the motor, the SK-540 sets one speed and it stays there.

2) The red LED on the TM1000 stays on. This is what concerns me the most. And, when the motor is running, the red LED flickers. The DX9 shows an RPM readout on its display for RPM.
When I disconnect the RPM sensor from the TM1000, and power up the flight pack, the red LED is on as the TM1000 initializes, then goes dark. And, there is no RPM displayed.

I have tried to connect ground wire from the TM1000 RPM sensor and the ground pin of the SK-540. But, that does not change anything.

Does anyone know what the red LED on the TM1000 is trying to tell me?

Am going to have to buy a Hobbywing or Eagletree phase sensor for the TM1000 RPM input?
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I may have answered my own question:

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/...-Manual_EN.pdf
In the English section of the manual, for the "Electric RPM Sensor" section, under "Testing":
"The RED LED on the TM1000 indicates the sensor is picking up properly."

RTFM.

The main reason this spooked me is that I did not see this on the TM1000 mounted on my nitro. But, I've never looked at the TM1000 while the engine was running - it is under the canopy. I will go back and check the nitro's TM1000 with the motor running to see that its red LED is flickering.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 03:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah everytime the magnet passes the sensor it makes the red light blink and that is all it is for.
~Futaba T14SG
TeamXpertServos
Frequency is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in