Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 12:19 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ouch

Don't want to hurt myself but I'd rather have it be me than someone in the area. There's a post here about a guy flying his heli and a lady with a dog comes along, the dog chases the heli-the lady chases the dog. What a nightmare! I'm worried because one of the places I'm planning on flying is in a park that no one really goes to but there are houses around and people get curious about these things. I know "fly at the local club" they aren't heli friendly there (all planes). You would think that common logic would tell a person that it's basicly a fly lawmower. So If I hafta ditch my heli because someone gets to close I will, but I'll give them a safety lecture and let them know if it happens again they will be paying for the replacement parts. Hopefully that works. what else can ya do? Not fly?

Hawk
Hawk18052 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had my hot start at my coffe table and as by looking at some of these photos I was very veyr fortunate indeed
I have made quite a bit of advancement in this hobby With out the good fortune of having a RC mentor.. Just Finless bob,all the post ,vid's and photos on helifreak and RC helimag.
The one thing I have to say is that the Warnings and Do's and Don'ts in some of these manual s Flat ass suck I think even if a Product is Dangerous ( And Especilly If )
The manufacters should go to Extreme Lengths to send this message out to the purchaser. In the form of Examples and better explanations of Exactly Why something is dangerous.... These Companies are banking and laughing at the fact that we have become so addictied to a RC toys as we all have. The money pit sindrome involved with the RC heli market is truley as absurd as the aotumotive industry Things are manufactured to sale and break and sale more. I mean why not up grade the dammn thing in the first place ,Then you are truly making a quality product not just bank on th eidea that it will cost and cost and cost till you finnallu get it right or give up trying .You guys know this is as bad a crack in some way's
Tim Smith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 06:40 PM   #43 (permalink)

Just Imagine the responsibility of owning and operating the heli in this video!

RC Bell 47 GII made in spain (9 min 57 sec)

Jim
Blackwood Engineering is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default WOW!

Ok, adding to my wish/need list today... Meat cutters gloves (the chainmesh gloves), tree cutters pants and jacket, three pairs of safety goggles, and a full face motorcycle helmet.

These images really make you think.
HeliMix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #45 (permalink)

My HF Map location

https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...8&d=1190132473

I was starting to get excited until I realized it was a dude's leg! :
tz250w is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 06:59 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The one thing I have to say is that the Warnings and Do's and Don'ts in some of these manual s Flat ass suck I think even if a Product is Dangerous ( And Especilly If )
The manufacters should go to Extreme Lengths to send this message out to the purchaser. In the form of Examples and better explanations of Exactly Why something is dangerous....
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

Most people will just skip right passed the warning pages. It would be nice if everyone read the warnings AND instruction first, but this is life, it'll never happen. Most people need to learn the hard way, and some......well, they never learn.

Just my 2 cents worth.
rcnut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 08:14 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

I always plug in at throttle hold and carry it out to the flight line in TH then place the stick at half throttle in normal, switch out of TH and hit my timer, pull my hair out of my eyes and take of, idle 1,idle 2 rolls rolls rolls. has always worked for me.
LoveMyTrex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

After having the heli spool up and almost run away from me a couple times from accidentally knocking over my TX, I make it a habit now to always set the throttle hold switch when the heli is not in use. When you figure you have two big blades spinning near 3000 RPM and 2 smaller razor sharp blades spinning around 12,000 RPM I guess you really don't need that much in written warnings to know that that flying buzz saw is dangerous. I got my finger in the tail blades once, and that was enough to hold my attention from that day forward!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #49 (permalink)

So I am not sure if indirect causation rules apply to this thread... Anyway, if it weren't for heli's this wouldn't have happened.

I probably get the "dumb-@$$" award...

I get most of my heli stuff (parts, etc.) shipped to my work, because that is where I am at during the day. If the package is small enough, I usually open up the box and transfer the contents to my messenger bag which I take to work every day (I take a subway to work)...

Anyway, today was no different... package arrived. I was excited as usual, and decided to transfer the contents to my bag (as usual). Only this time, the cheap plastic-y pair of scissors I use to slice open the boxes decided to slip past 180 degrees, and my thumb goes with them. I'm not sure how to explain exactly what happened, but anyway, in the end, I nice big chunk of my thumb ended up on the tip of the scissors. Seriously... what you see missing in the photo was actually on the end of the scissors. The photo doesn't really do it justice - or maybe its just different when you look down and see a chunk of yourself not attached to yourself...

Basically what I am trying to say, is that this is the worst paper-cut you could probably ever receive from the RC heli hobby!

Anyway, the positive part of this mishap is that I get to see how permanent finger print patterns are... Will this grow back as a scar or as my original fingerprint pattern? hmmm...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	injury.jpg
Views:	4448
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	46221  
OhDonPiano is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ouch...that smarts.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Seem like we never learn when the manual says "This is not a toy". Spent some time in the emergeny room the other night. Had finished flying and picked up the heli to place on the tailgate of my truck to remove battery. DID NOT have the throttle switch in hold, had the tx in my left hand and bent down and picked up the heli. Apparently hit the throttle and bird spooled up. Hit 4 times on the arm and once on the chest before I could get rid of the heli which of course hit the ground and rolled over on the right side and of course caused damage bending spindle shaft, destroying blades, etc. I am old enough (70 years young) to know better. Now I am very timid around the heli. PAY ATTENTION, these things are absolutely dangerous. BH450SE.
Razorbk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to hear that Razor. Do you have an ESC that has soft start? I use that feature on my Align ESC and love it!

Skarn
Skarn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
The manufacters should go to Extreme Lengths to send this message out to the purchaser. In the form of Examples and better explanations of Exactly Why something is dangerous....
Even without knowing your location it is so obvious that this statement comes from America.

I find it laughable that people who CHOOSE to buy something that has exposed moving parts then start to gripe and look to blame the manufacturer for their own lack of common sense.

There used to be a great safety advert in the UK many years ago comparing the operation of machines without safety covers to feeding a caged crocodile by putting a piece of meat in the cage by hand.

The problem with common sense is that it isn't common.
archiebald is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What the hell does his opinion have to do with America? That's a false generalization and is equivalent to an assumption....and you know what assuming gets you right?

I agree with you that putting blame on the manufacturer is ridiculous.......and I'm from America

Skarn
Skarn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarn View Post
What the hell does his opinion have to do with America? That's a false generalization and is equivalent to an assumption....and you know what assuming gets you right?

I agree with you that putting blame on the manufacturer is ridiculous.......and I'm from America

Skarn
Simply because if there is ONE thing that America is world famous for its the frivolous law suits by consumers who seem to have not improved their common sense since kindergarten. Examples - microwaved dogs, obesity caused by eating McDonalds, Getting burnt by hot coffee, smoking,

More.
-------------------------------
In September 1988, two Akron, Ohio-based carpet layers named Gordon Falker and Gregory Roach were severely burned when a three and a half gallon container of carpet adhesive ignited when the hot water heater it was sitting next to kicked on. Both men felt the warning label on the back of the can was insufficient. Words like “flammable” and “keep away from heat” didn’t prepare them for the explosion. They filed suit against the adhesive manufacturers, Para-Chem. A jury obviously agreed since the men were awarded $8 million for their troubles.

In February 1992, Stella Liebeck ordered a cup of coffee to go from McDonalds. Liebeck was sitting in the passenger seat of her nephew’s car, which was pulled over so she could add sugar to her coffee. While removing the cup’s lid, Liebeck spilled her hot coffee, burning her legs. It was determined that Liebeck suffered third degree burns on over six percent of her body. Originally, Liebeck sought $20,000 in damages. McDonalds refused to settle out of court. However, they should have. Liebeck was ultimately awarded $200,000 in compensatory damages, which was reduced to $160,000 because she was found to be twenty percent at fault. She was also awarded $2.7 million in punitive damages.

In 1992, 23-year old Karen Norman accidentally backed her car into Galveston Bay after a night of drinking. Norman couldn’t operate her seat belt and drowned. Her passenger managed to disengage herself and make it to shore. Norman ’s parents sued Honda for making a seat belt their drunken daughter (her blood alcohol level was .17 – nearly twice the legal limit) couldn’t open underwater. A jury found Honda seventy-five percent responsible for Karen’s death and awarded the Norman family $65 million. An appeals court threw out the case.

In 1996, Florida physical therapist Paul Shimkonis sued his local nudie bar claiming whiplash from a lap dancer’s large breasts. Shimkonis felt he suffered physical harm and mental anguish from the breasts, which he claimed felt like “cement blocks” hitting him. Shimkonis sought justice in the amount of $15,000, which was denied.

--------------------------------------------------

Can you imagine what would happen if some of these people started flying RC helicopters??
family man likes this.
archiebald is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 12:48 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Archiebald, I have to admit you put up a good case!
13m Spiderbeam mast, Askman mount, A640, all above with 2.4Ghz downlink
Tonystott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott View Post
Archiebald, I have to admit you put up a good case!
No...just jealous.

Actually, I agree that things have gotten out of hand. Frivolous lawsuits, kids not be able to chant "Batter, batter, swwwiiinnngggg bbbbaaaaattttteeeeerrrrr!", removing "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance... It does seem ridiculous. Honestly, I think this stuff has something to do with the whole "melting pot" theme around here.

Yes...I'm from (US of) America.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bloody cuts

Had an incident. Accidentally reset-ed the parameters in my T7C TX while the heli was still plugged, thus reversing channel 3. Got a nice cut caused by those CF blades and I think that has taught me a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First Blood.jpg
Views:	19635
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	49237  

Borneo RC remote control forum
CorollaGT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #59 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Ouch!

At least it wasn't your right thumb. You should still be able to do some easy flying.
tz250w is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, the wound is healing thou, no more pain

I'll be back with a vengeance ... stay tune!

Borneo RC remote control forum
CorollaGT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in