Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Can we backtrack to what caused the diversion of the thread i.e continuing flying after hitting the ground during 3D maneuvers ?
The dangers or not of 3D flying in general has been discussed ad nauseum in many threads . So what are the opinions of continuing flying in competition or generally with other people around and specifically if the "hit" was not an intentional blade or skid scrape as a "party piece" ?
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #42 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshqSeGH View Post
Well how else can it be interpreted? I've taken the time and effort - put my money where my mouth is to test what I believed to be outdated advice - reported back on my experiences - and then you come along - not having tried it - and suggest that I'm just as unsafe for reporting actual results that perhaps show out some out-dated thinking as those who at times get (in my opinion) too "up-close and personal" with potentially lethal machinery.

I really wish people would stop judging the sign posts and start looking at the direction they're pointing for a bit of guidance. It's not a game. It's not about the number of times people take excessive risks and get away with it any more than it's about driving a car without a seat belt and concluding "it's OK because I've been doing it for years and not had an accident". No - it's not a popular subject, but I suggest people do a bit of Googling and see the damage these things to to human flesh - it's not a pretty sight. And I can see it coming a mile away that one day a heli is going to let go under the control of one of these RC-heli-gods and plow into them or someone else - and in an instant they're going to go from 10 foot tall and bullet proof to feeling like they're 1 inch tall and wishing they could crawl under a rock and hide, if they're still able. And everyone will be "shocked" - everyone will say how sorry they are - someone will raise the fact that this has been an accident waiting to happen for years - then others will jump on them and shame them with "show some respect - this isn't the time nor the place etc". And around the mulberry bush we'll go yet again.
Impressive max charge rate for this batt:

http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/Produc.../TP2250-3SPF70

The rest of your post is in pretty poor taste, IMO.

Part of the problem? According you who, you? I don't see a problem in it. I enjoy the thrill of the flying up close. I also enjoy watching other pilots taking that same thrill to a level I can't yet achieve due to my skill level. But as my skills progress, I will fly harder, faster, and closer. I fully realize and accept full responsibility for whatever happens to me, I've seen the pics, I know what can and does happen. I know my limits and don't exceed them. I trust my equipment.

I've trusted my life to many types of vehicles and equipment for the last 25 years, not to mention trusting my skills and knowing my limits. I managed to make it this far with only a few scrapes and bruises. If everything falls apart on me tomorrow, so be it. I'm going to enjoy the thrill while I can.
Bob O is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Check out the landing - Kyle Dahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
Impressive max charge rate for this batt:

http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/Produc.../TP2250-3SPF70

The rest of your post is in pretty poor taste, IMO.

Part of the problem? According you who, you? I don't see a problem in it. I enjoy the thrill of the flying up close. I also enjoy watching other pilots taking that same thrill to a level I can't yet achieve due to my skill level. But as my skills progress, I will fly harder, faster, and closer. I fully realize and accept full responsibility for whatever happens to me, I've seen the pics, I know what can and does happen. I know my limits and don't exceed them. I trust my equipment.

I've trusted my life to many types of vehicles and equipment for the last 25 years, not to mention trusting my skills and knowing my limits. I managed to make it this far with only a few scrapes and bruises. If everything falls apart on me tomorrow, so be it. I'm going to enjoy the thrill while I can.

We'll put I 100% agree with you.
Twill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default As far as the flight...and all the replies

Too out of control to make any sense.
As far as the hit - I would give him more respect for landing right away. I will give him credit for spectacular showmanship.
My 2 cents please
Have fun
Be safe
Respect each other!
I believe that we all should promote a sense of safety - it's pretty much the right thing to do.
I'm critical on setup and hardware! Others may have different pet peeves. I hope they remind me what's important Like- don't fly so close!
SAB - 700 Night Setup--------700 Competition
nightstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

kyles an awesome pilot but I want to see him do that one twice "smack down"
it would give a new meaning to flying low
Kap'n Krunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshqSeGH View Post
I find flights like that to be great examples of pilot skill and control, and yet poor examples of helicopter safety -- from pilots who are in an excellent position to promote safety.

I hate to think what might have happened if something had malfunctioned somewhere around this point:

theres inherit risk in everything
Kap'n Krunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well - watched the video and actually remember having seen the flight in person. Also for safety reasons most events there have a safety fence/net installed.

I also remember last year quite a few pilots have been told to land after their contact with the ground made it unsafe. So they have proper safety measures in place.

Still I understand where some are coming from. Those cool flights many even newcomers see. Specifically young kids with no fear and limited respect of the potential danger. I have seen kids telling me they fly so close to themselfes and extreme aggressive towards the ground because they see see the pilots ...... fly that way. My answer to them simply was that they seem not to pay attention how some of the pro pilots really fly and if the parents are around I simply explain to them to talk to the kids for their own sake or they may get them injured or even worse.

Not that it helps but key is - the young kids specifically look at the pro pilots and want to fly like them. Lucky for them that some parents pull them back a bit while unfortunate others do not. I hope to see more safety information from the pro pilots regardless who they represent.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
So the rules in say NASCAR, to have yellow flags for the sake of safety should be thrown overboard so that we can see blood and guts?

I have been and will be safety officer at 3D events in South Africa, we DO NOT ALLOW continued flight after touching the ground PERIOD..... Same as yellow flags in auto racing.
I little dramatic, aren't we?

But to be a little more clear about the comparison to NASCAR:

NASCAR does NOT stop the race (let alone slow the race via a yellow flag) if a car grazes the wall or taps another car and continues driving at race speeds. A yellow flag comes out ONLY when debris spews all over the track from a wreck, or contact with another car or the wall, thereby endangering all the other vehicles and/or spectators.

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus7 View Post
Can we backtrack to what caused the diversion of the thread i.e continuing flying after hitting the ground during 3D maneuvers ?
The dangers or not of 3D flying in general has been discussed ad nauseum in many threads . So what are the opinions of continuing flying in competition or generally with other people around and specifically if the "hit" was not an intentional blade or skid scrape as a "party piece" ?
In the OP's video, you couldn't even tell hit his the ground aside from the scrape sound. It still flew perfectly fine (or had that appearance, anyway). Not too dissimilar from "incidental contact" at a NASCAR race. I'm okay with it, and this coming from a guy who was at a Madera Air Race were a Formula One aircraft lost control and hit a spectator in the legs shattering both.

These kinds of incidents are exactly why there's a separation between the flight line and spectators, fences, etc... at many comps/races.

If you want a better example of "risky" separation of spectators and racers, look at WRC, and yet a surprising few people are injured with this kind of proximity.

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in