Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Need help choosing battery connectors

I went to the LHS and asked the guy at the battery counter for some deans connectors for my T-Rex which i'm currently building. He told me that they use Anderson connectors because the deans connectors can get so tight that you need to pull them apart with pliers. I looked at the difference and ended up buying 3 Anderson connectors because they looked pretty nice. He also said that everyone (I believe he meant in the area) is using the Andersons over the Deans.

They did have a FP or TP battery there with Anderson connectors already on it, but its possibly that they soldered them on at the store.

Before I solder these onto the bird and make up some charge leads, I wanted to see what everyone else is using. I know I can switch ends out later, but I'd rather not have to.

Thanks guys,
Nathan Jones
najones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm ham radio operator and we use Anderson Power Pole connectors extensively for our radio gear. I personally like them a lot and have been considering changing my Dean's connectors for Power Poles. I haven't yet for several reasons:

1) I haven't seen anybody else in the hobby really using them.
2) They're considerably larger than the Dean's connectors and will take up more space in the heli.
3) They do not snap together as tightly as a Dean's and I would be concerned that under the G loading of 3D maneuvers, they'd come apart. There are clips available to hold a set together, but that's more expense and more bulk.

If you do decide to use them, be aware that they're really meant to be crimped on, not soldered. The contact may give you fits getting it in the connector body. You'll definitely want the security of a soldered joint though, so I'd crimp them first, and then solder. Be careful not to get any solder on the outside of the aluminum contact or it will not snap into the connector body.
jeffk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

IMO you didn't get ripped off by getting sold the powerpoles. but, i run ultra deans on everything. the key to those is not overheating them while soldering them up. you can actually get the plastic hot enough to release the contacts during soldering, which will cause the pins to realign--getting the 'hard to separate/put together' issue your LHS was talking about.

but, it is something to think about now. currently you are only out the few $$$ you spent on the 3 you have. but, if you commit to them, you're stuck using them on everything--and, likely won't be able to 'bum a charge' from someone at the field unless you make an adapter.

FWIW, i use the deans on my 600 as well, which pulls a lot more current than a 450...and, they are holding up just fine. check out the video in finless' forum for how to solder the deans if you're curious about what you may be getting into.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

deans all the way I use them on everything.
Bull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I've used Deans for years on car stuff, and I've never had any of the issues mentioned. Either will be fine. The Deans are probably lighter, so that would sway me on a small bird like a 450.
Corner Weight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Awesome, thanks for all the good advise. I figured I would get this response, but I wanted to make sure. I don't mind having the Anderson connectors, I'll just put it in my wiring kit, maybe one day I'll need them.

Is there a difference between a Deans and a Deans Ultra?

Thanks again for the feedback,
Nathan
najones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Is there a difference between a Deans and a Deans Ultra?
no. there are two types of deans: ultra and micro. but, usually everyone just calls the ultras 'deans'.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Deans man... deans deans deans

**When you start to be in complete control reflexes are not a requirement.**
s0laris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in