Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 01:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Adding a Flightpower 3s LiPo to the DX7

I'm sure some of you have already done this and others thought about it. There are a few ways to do this, here is how I did my radio. Please use caution when doing this mod, if you have any doubts about soldering have someone that knows how help you.

First we need to remove the battery cover and battery. Next remove the 6 screws that hold the back cover on the radio.

I decided to remove the charge jack and covered the hole with a thin piece of carbon. You can simply flip the charge jack also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dx7_1.jpg (184.2 KB, 3361 views)
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I decided to cut the battery compartment out to allow the pack to sit inside without crushing the wires. The 3s EVO 1500 RX packs fits in here perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dx7_2.jpg (219.9 KB, 2692 views)
Old 07-18-2007, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Next you will need to solder a short jumper to the board. I'm using a servo connection for this, you could use a micro deans as well. There is plenty of room inside the battery compartment to fit the connector if using the Flightpower EVO 1500 RX packs.

You could also use the stock wires to the JR plug on the board, or a set of micro deans for this. I used an extra servo connector for this, the wires lay flat on the back of the pack and the battery cover closes without any force.

I have seen some packs that fit so tightly the back cover bulges or puts pressure on the cells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dx7_3.jpg (276.5 KB, 2359 views)
Old 07-18-2007, 01:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I drilled a small hole in the pc board so I could add a wire tie to act as a strain relief for the new wires. This way there is no force put on the solder connection, we dont want this one to break.

The wire and connector are pushed out the new hole we cut in the battery compartment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dx7_4.jpg (205.8 KB, 1946 views)
Old 07-18-2007, 01:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Now drop your 1500 EVO pack in and store the wires.

Theres not much to it. You do not need to add the extra set of wires to the board, you can simply make up a connection to the stock JR plug from the original pack. I didnt want to cut my plug off the stock battery and I didnt care for the small ga. wires on the MPI JR plug so I used a servo connector from a 6' servo extension.

You could squeeze the 3s pack in without cutting the battery compartment, its tight and I didn't want to stress the wires on the pack. I also used the RX pack because of the smaller wires. Flightpower packs have 2 sets of leads on their RX packs, I removed one set and put shrink over the wires to protect against shorting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dx7_6.jpg (306.4 KB, 2230 views)
File Type: jpg dx7_5.jpg (208.7 KB, 2002 views)
Old 07-19-2007, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

vetterick turned me on to another easy DX6 /DX7 mod that extends battery life to about TWICE what it is currently available by switching out the linear voltage regulator to a digital regulator ..... http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...ektrum_mod.htm Dimension Engineering digital voltage regulator upgrade.

Tickidydoc ..... Have you completed this mod also? With the LiPo and this mod you would have to remove the Lipo for recharge half as much! Less heat in the case from the digital regulator!!!

Mine is ordered and should be here in a day or two. Where I work we usually use DC to DC convertors which handle a lot more current ..... and this mod makes a lot of sense for those who just want to keep the stock battery and get twice the time between charges.
Speedwing Mini EX and 3 Superflys
Ritewing TL50 almost finished!
Hughes500Bob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nope I have not switched mine out. The switching regulator mod is not necessary on the DX7. The DX7 runs at 130mA in DSM2 mode.

So soldering on a new connector for the new Lipo for some would make more sense than switching out a regulator or even doing the mod as I did.

MPI has connectors for the JR radios or you can cut the existing connector off the stock NiMh pack and make a jumper to the LiPo pack.

The LiPo is nice and light, I like this, makes the radio hang better after you do the strap mod on it also. With a LiPo I can get a full charge back into it in less than an hour, and having 2 its a quick swap if you get in a pinch and need to fly right away.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Hey Ticidytoc, did you take any pictures of your strap mod ? I am thinking I want to do the one you did.

HELI-FREAK, You couldn't have picked a better place to land !
ChasHeliCop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There are pictures in the other sticky in this forum, Spektrum is coming out with a cool looking bracket to do the same thing if you dont want to drill holes in your radio. The mod I did does take some time to get done and you have to take apart the radio which can be a pain. If I were to do it again I would get the bracket from Horizon. There is a post about it in the other sticky here as well.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I already made a mod, pictures in the 2.4 forum, I just like the way you did it with the LED light. Big plus for the light, since I have left my TX on a couple of times.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I made a mod too. Its called a 2000mah 3s2p ION that drops right in with no mods to the radio.
No need to carry a second battery as you will only charge this one 1 time a month maybe 2 months like me. 15 or more hours of run time.
Lithuim Ion Dual Pack For Radikal
Rodney is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Rodney

Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
SB
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Where do you find a "Flightpower EVO 1500 3S RX packs." i went to work and opend gpdealer.com and all i can find is 2S packs
Old 10-29-2007, 02:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So even the DX7's don't include a digital setup? I'll have to do the mod for sure. I can't get my stock NiMh to last more than a couple weeks without it being drained whether I use it or not!

I had the idea of using an older Align 22C pack for my tx using a small JST plug to replace the deans. Will this hurt the radio at all? I don't want to go screwing up a $350 radio just tinkering with it!
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 09:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworx View Post
I had the idea of using an older Align 22C pack for my tx using a small JST plug to replace the deans. Will this hurt the radio at all? I don't want to go screwing up a $350 radio just tinkering with it!
I did exactly that and it works great.
Anson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

ReadyHeli just got in the FP Tx packs for JR/Spektrum

http://www.readyheli.com/FlightPower...s-spektrum.htm

Old 11-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ReadyHeli also has a 2600mAh pack but I think it's set up for the Futaba radios. I'd assume you can just swap out the leads to be compatible with the JR radio JST plug and you'd be set. The dimensions are just about the same as the DX7 batt compartment, but I didn't want to try stuffing it in there and end up blowing up my TX. The Align pack that I have was too tight of a fit for my comfort so I am looking for maybe an 1800-2000mAh pack that will fit a little nicer.

Has anyone tried or seen/heard of anyone using A123 cells in their DX7? I think I like this idea much more than the LiPo's due to their rigidity and relative damage resistance.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Which packs have been trail fitted in the DX7?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I actually just got an Infina Ion pack from Rodney and you absolutely can't beat it! Helidirect carries them now for $50. It's a 2000mA Li-ION pack, with both the JR/DX7 power tab and Futaba power tab. I put mine in and flew for nearly 2 months before having to stick it on the charger! The best customer support I've ever experienced dealing with Rodney if you have any issues or questions.

I personally fit a ThunderPower2070 into the compartment, but it was a bit snug. Also, I've heard of people using the FP's in there as well, but I think you'd be better off with the Infina because the Ion packs aren't subject to the same explosive nature as the Lipo's. I wouldn't want that ticking time-bomb in my $200 radio!!!

Hope that helps!
Old 02-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworx View Post
I actually just got an Infina Ion pack from Rodney and you absolutely can't beat it!

Told ya!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in