Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Fuselage Forum

Fuselage Forum Fuselage Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 30 size heli in a 600 fuselage?

I have a RCA 600 size MD530 fuselage on the way and would like to put my Hawk pro in it. I have an OS37 in it and would like to know if it has the power to fly it. What kind of gearing would I need to spin the larger blades? I am on a budget and will be using a 2 blade head till I can get a 5 blade head. This project is going to be a get flying and upgrade as I get the funds. My Hawk flies very scale like and I would love to put it in the 530 If it can be done without a lot of trouble. I could sure use any help anyone can give me.
jimmymc2286 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have flown their bigger 50 sized Bell 47, swinging two 600mm blades using an old OS46 for many years and it had more then enough power to even do loops and rolls.

I had also installed an OS46 a number of years ago in a Hawk using 570mm blades and it had more then enough power to do some pretty impressive 3D flying.

The current OS37 I now have in it, flies it with about the same authority. So I am sure that it would have no problem flying a 50 sized scale fuselage at the lower head speeds that we use for scale flying.
ngin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

ngin, Thanks for your help. I know when I replaced my 32 with the 37 it became a new heli. Lots more power, and only burns a tad more fuel. My biggest concern is the gearing to get the head speed right. I don't know where to go from stock.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Considering the lower rotor speeds that you will want to use for scale, you may find that the stock 9.76 ratio of the stock gearing, may work well with your OS 37.

I would try that first, as a slower scale head speed of 1500 or so would have your OS37 turning up at a healthy 14640, which is nicely situated between its max power and max torque curves.
ngin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks ngin, That is the type of information I need. Will be getting the fuse next week and start the install. I'll try the stock gearing first and see if it works. I hope so, that would make the tailboom and torque tube the only real mod to do to the machanics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in