Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2015, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sk720 Trouble loading firmware: Contact Skookum Error:How can we fix it?

I am trying to load a Sk720 from firmware ver. 2.04, (circa 2011?) to the most modern update, hoping to run ver4.05, 4.07, 4.08?

Many, many have had this problem. Some have found a fix. I have found that not being able to update the firmware to match your software just made me the proud ( secondhand, did I mention secondhand?) owner of a blinking paperweight.

I have found no answer in my googling and searching, and there are many ways people have found to " fix" the very same issue ( Firmware Update Failed: Contact Skookum and provide your units Serial #), but no reliable, concrete repeatable methods that I have found.
Yes, it is working mechanically, yes it iis powered, yes, I have tried (bootloading?) jumping the top pins to force a format, yes everything seems to work until the software asks for a firmware download ( that fails every time) and consequently greys out all the tabs. It is very frustrating, I cannot even play with the software,the tabs just dont work. I have software packages 3.43, 4.05, 4.07, 4.08, and 4.08b. Which should I use? are there any experts out there who can help me figure out what I need to do? I will mail my unit out for diagnosis if that is the best way to go,if I cannot get any response from skookum, how is tht to work?I have read of long waits even just for comunications to and from Skookum, so in the mean while, Can anybody suggest anything else that I might try? I am not new to programmable electrics not flybarless systems, this is just the best i've ever had and cannot wait to fly it. Thankyou all in advance!
Dogdipstick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

=] first, open the SK720 drive in "my comp" and delete any/all logs. then click on "properties" to validate the SD cards health, it should like the screenshot, although this is a from a 540, but you are looking for visually the same free space as the pic, and not the amount of size shown, ie the 720 has a larger memory..

you can get all of the ladder software rev's here, the higher you can get it the better in terms of updating, it may mean you have to fully delete all SK files and start at the appropriate SW?

http://www.skookumrobotics.com/updates/

usual stuff, use win 2.0 USB ports, only update from the "utilities" tab and not the pop-ups. software update followed by FW update etc.

I think once you get it communicating you will get it there, 4.07 should be your target for FW and 4.05 for the SW.... don't be too concerned on 4.08(b) for now!

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The trick is to clear any logs from the gyro's flash drive, as Georgi suggests, and then first updated to rev 3.43. You can find the 3.43 download on the updates page of our website, just click the + beside it.
Skookum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

This helped my update my SK540 recently:
http://www.skookumrobotics.com/wiki/..._connecting%3F
cycled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have tried those methods. All listed above. No logs are shown, just a sk config file.

I have tried on multiple computers. The disk seems healthy. Soft Ware version 3.43. No. Connects and registers yaw, roll, ect.

I have tried jumping, formatting, removing and replacing the disk, ect.

I have tried FirmWare update on 3.43. FW Failed, contact Skookum. Sent an email. No response, through that channel, but have tried what they recommended above.

There is another thread on here by someone waiting weeks on a mailed in product repair response. Who do I send it to, How much do I pay, How long should I wait for response? I'll keep struggling with it because I'm the kind of person who never gives up. Id hate to be a kid who doesn't know what to do when their 720 is not working. So hopefully I can find the best way to fix this issue, even if it cost 398$USD. At least the kid can read what I went through.

No concrete results yet. Is there a phone number to call to set up a mail in diagnosis? I am willing to pay, Do I just send it, WR written on the label, with ins. and sig. on receipt to know that they got it? Might as well mail it round the world for fun. From what i gather i just randomly? I cannot believe that.

Gonna get to the bottom of this.
Dogdipstick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

=] the first thing to do before anything is to mail SK with your gyro serial #. It could be as simple as a server issue?

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdipstick View Post
I have tried those methods. All listed above. No logs are shown, just a sk config file.

I have tried on multiple computers. The disk seems healthy. Soft Ware version 3.43. No. Connects and registers yaw, roll, ect.

I have tried jumping, formatting, removing and replacing the disk, ect.

I have tried FirmWare update on 3.43. FW Failed, contact Skookum. Sent an email. No response, through that channel, but have tried what they recommended above.

There is another thread on here by someone waiting weeks on a mailed in product repair response. Who do I send it to, How much do I pay, How long should I wait for response? I'll keep struggling with it because I'm the kind of person who never gives up. Id hate to be a kid who doesn't know what to do when their 720 is not working. So hopefully I can find the best way to fix this issue, even if it cost 398$USD. At least the kid can read what I went through.

No concrete results yet. Is there a phone number to call to set up a mail in diagnosis? I am willing to pay, Do I just send it, WR written on the label, with ins. and sig. on receipt to know that they got it? Might as well mail it round the world for fun. From what i gather i just randomly? I cannot believe that.

Gonna get to the bottom of this.
Apologies if I missed it in this thread, but did you reset the unit?

Sorry again if this is a stupid question.

Rick
rickn816 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Dogdipstick,

had comparable trouble coming from 3.30.
That helped me:
As already said - delete log files from card
Use newer software close to your version - I used 3.43.
Plug to USB (no battery power) - wait until OS recognizes the device (fast blinking).
Start software - cancel update popup.
Update via menue

I own 2 SK720 and rarely have problems with 'not initializing ... contact ...' but I think most of this messages don't point to a hardware defect of the SK unit. At least mine could be fixed with 'playing around'.

Good luck,
c3s19
c3s19 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same problem, here is what I did. 1 I coppied all data from SD card to a directory on my PC. 2 I formatted the sd card. 3 I downloaded Version 3.43 and walked it up to the present version 4.08. It worked 4 I went through the setup wizards again until I had the right config. I hope this helped it worked for me. Good Luck!!
freeman53 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in