Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #681 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by imq707s View Post

Has anyone found a better value than the Telebee?

Thanks
I've owned and operated all of the 401 cloans including the ones mentioned in your first answer, which are the same gyro from different sources. They all drifted unless you fussed with them constantly over varying heat conditions but all were better than the Telebee I played with. I currently have setups on two birds that work for me drift free for the most part using another 401 cloan. You have to realize that NONE of the cheap gyro will act like a Spartan/520/GY401/ level gyro. If you want a good, easy gyro then buy a used Futaba GY401 for $80 off the FS thread on this board. They are there all of the time.
These combos will worked extremely well and almost as fuss free as the Spartan gyro I have on one of my three 450 cloans. I have two more cloans with $20 gyros working pretty well.
On one of my 450 cloans I have the Dynam GY48 http://www.xheli.com/nowwi2newfrt.html with the MKS DS480 servo http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...068sec_/_10.9g This works really well but close behind it on another 450 cloan I have flying, I have the Dragonsky GY401B http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=6969 with and Ino-lab HGD 202hb http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store.../_.11s_/_1.5kg I was really surprised at how well the Ino-lab worked because it's a bit slower than most recommend for a tail servo. I haven't taken the gyros apart but I believe both of these gyros are actually the same one. Again, YMMV but with all the experimentation I've done with the 401 cloans these by far worked the best for me. BUT!!!! you need to set them up right. If you try this, PM me know and I'll certainly help you with that since the reply is already long enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #682 (permalink)

Default Great Article

Keep us all posted on your adventures with the ultra cheap 450. Followup information would be wonderful. Many of us do not have unlimited resources for a hobby so your information is very helpful
abiqualumber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #683 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer38 View Post
I am writing an article on a super cheap 450 size electric for beginners. Alot of people who are considering the RC Helicopter hobby are put off by the cost. Well I found a Hong Kong Distributor
Thanks
It seems the way to go for us impoverished Brits. Only downside is 3 to 4 weeks wait time.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #684 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Like I said it may not be top notch equipment but its still more than adequate to learn to fly ..
You don't want top notch when it's life expectancy is is measured in seconds rather than minutes.

I bought a top notch Honey Bee King Carbon - right it's metal and carbon - obviously better than cheap plastic -- W R O N G.

Metal bends, plastic bounces.

Cheap carbon is about as strong as the cardboard box it came in.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #685 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Here are a few more Pictures with the Head and mast installed as well as the motor and main gear.
That looks very similar to the CopterX450 kit I bought off Nitrotek in the UK for £50.

The screws are the pits, needs on oversized hex key to insert them of they just strip with the correct one. But what the hell - it's cheap and it's going to get wrecked anyway.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #686 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Joblin View Post
Excellent updates! Will you be able to provide a list of screw sizes so that we can order good hardware? If everything comes together as you are indicating, spending an extra $10 or $15 for good quality screws would be worth it, no?
Definitely YES.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #687 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You will also notice that I have fly bar weights on it, Yup remember this is a Beginners Helicopter and I want to keep it real tame, if the thing Hovers stable I will have met the goal of the Cheapest 450 size Heli !!
Well done. And an apology from me. I've just joined, want to PM a member but I need five posts first for some reason.

But I am going almost the same route as you and I've almost finished. Just got to get the right setting on a DX6i.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #688 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Ok folks its been a while and I am back at it, I will be updating my articles and videos using the latest HK 450 with the CNC Parts as well as a HK250TG article with videos. I should have all the 450 stuff done by Christmas and the 250 done by New Years.

I really cant believe how many hits this posting has received and I am glad everyone appears to be enjoying this cheap little Heli. I probably field 3 or 4 e-mails a month about the articles and its time for updates...

Craig
Racer38 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #689 (permalink)
Registered Users

Craig

Can you please post the newest parts list ?

I looked thru the first twenty pages of this thread and was wondering what the final version of this bird was.

It seems that the original parts list might be upgraded with diffeent servos and such.

Thanks
cptleo1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #690 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptleo1 View Post
Craig

Can you please post the newest parts list ?

I looked thru the first twenty pages of this thread and was wondering what the final version of this bird was.

It seems that the original parts list might be upgraded with diffeent servos and such.

Thanks
Thats something I need to work on, alot of the stuff I originally used has changed and I havent bought any new stuff yet as I stock piled some of the items on the original list. I'm still using the 900 servo's for the Cyclic and I need to find the best new servo for the TR.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #691 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Craig,

The best value IMHO for a cheap servo is the HTX900. For the tail an Ino-Lab HGD-202HB or splurge on an MKS DS480. I've not found an analog servo that will work with a $20 Gyro and not drift excessively. Believe me, I've tried several of them.

You've been out of the loop on this stuff for a while. We need to help you catch up on this mess you started.

Also, I would like to say THANKS! I found your original thread on rchelispot and got hooked. Haven't looked back since. BTW, my wife would like a word with you...
Old 12-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #692 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post
Craig,

The best value IMHO for a cheap servo is the HTX900. For the tail an Ino-Lab HGD-202HB or splurge on an MKS DS480. I've not found an analog servo that will work with a $20 Gyro and not drift excessively. Believe me, I've tried several of them.

You've been out of the loop on this stuff for a while. We need to help you catch up on this mess you started.

Also, I would like to say THANKS! I found your original thread on rchelispot and got hooked. Haven't looked back since. BTW, my wife would like a word with you...
Ya I have had to change my name twice and move 3 times ...Too many spouses trying to track me down ..

I have been out of the loop since last year this time, Uncle Sam has been keeping me pretty busy, but it looks like I will have some time to start working on the updates. I also want to do the 250 build as well, we will just have to see how much time I have and of course money ...
Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #693 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm currently building the GT HK 450 kit for a freind. I'm VERY impressed with that kit so far. The $20 difference in price is well worth it for the upgrade to metal. That being said, I'm still flying a stock plastic HK with at least 100 flights on it. It still works great. Only replaced stuff damaged in crashes with the original parts from HK. It's my beater. I did recently upgrade to the Ino digital servo for the tail. I hope I didn't spoil it with a servo that cost $17.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #694 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Just a heads up

The ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 20C are on sale for $11.99 at hobbycity.com
T-Bird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #695 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
The ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 20C are on sale for $11.99 at hobbycity.com
That is ridiculously cheap. I paid $17.95 for mine and thought that was a bargain - they are great lipos

Bugster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #696 (permalink)
Registered Users

been following this thread for quite some time and guys take a look this news. http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...wsPageExec.asp a pro and a 700 very intersting huh...
Old 12-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #697 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_spl85 View Post
been following this thread for quite some time and guys take a look this news. http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...wsPageExec.asp a pro and a 700 very intersting huh...
Thats cool that they are expanding the line up.. I guess they had such a Great response to the HK-450 they decided to continue on with development.

I wish the HK-500 was an Align Clone ..
Old 12-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #698 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I am changing my plans a little, I am doing the HK-250GT first and will wait on the HK-450 PRO to be released for an updated 450 article and videos ..

I'm also setting up a web site for my articles and videos, I'll post more on it later..
Old 12-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #699 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Think someone's already done a pretty good site for the 450

http://www.hk450.com
Old 12-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #700 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post
Think someone's already done a pretty good site for the 450

http://www.hk450.com
Yup that is a nice site, this is just a site to host my articles and videos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in