Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Whiplash

MA Whiplash Miniature Aircraft Whiplash Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Kinda torn between atrex 700e and a MA whiplash

I'm wanting to go up to a 700e and I've got it narrow down to the trex 700 and the Whiplash. Is there any of you that own both? What are the pro's and cons of each? How is the parts availability for the whiplash? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't own either one, but I can tell you the whiplash will be of MUCH MUCH higher quality than Align. But in turn the kit itself will be over a grand with nothing, not even blades. Parts for the MA will be hella expensive, but like I said you'll have a uber quality machine that flies better than tons of machines out there and can't even compare to the Align. If you want a powerful decent flier, with relatively cheaper parts and cheaper startup costs, go with the 700e, it is a beast. I think your decision is gonna mainly be, which can you afford really. Good luck on your decision.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its not fair to compare a top of the line MA machine to an align mediocre quality and design machine
jgalen0025 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I dont wnt to complicate things anymore but I really think you should take a close look at the compass 7hv before you make a final decision.
bullitt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like cars there are levels you want when you purchase. Kia, honda, lexus, ferrari.
Hondas are great cars, but some people want a ferrari.

My RC facebook and Youtube Page (please subscribe to get latest news and video):
http://www.youtube.com/zoomtt
http://www.facebook.com/zoomtt
edsel.labao is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default re

Interesting dilemma. I have a 700E now and 2 MA helis. I love MA and think they are may times better quality than the align but the parts prices on the Whiplash made me stay away from it. They are way over my budget for helis and I so not wish to own a heli that I am afraid to crash. Don’t buy what you cannot afford to fly. Flying = crashing = rebuilding.

I can tell you that my Furion 6 and my Fury 55 are the best helis I have ever owned and flown. The whiplash has a few design elements that I do not care for. I do not like the ESC placement, it is sandwiched between the battery pack tray and the motor mounts deep inside the heli. If you ever have and ESC go up, Your heli will be a complete loss. I have not seen an alternative ESC mount location yet. Second, the battery mounts are fixed and you need to remove them one at a time. This is a pain if you wish to turn your flights around quickly. None of this would stop me from buying the kit. It’s still a very well designed heli. None of them are perfect.

Best of luck with your decision.
whittb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt View Post
I dont wnt to complicate things anymore but I really think you should take a close look at the compass 7hv before you make a final decision.
I have been eyeing that one too, lol!!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's not that I'm trying to compare them as apple to apples, I'm just trying to find more info

on the two. I have not seen any MA helis, all I've been around are Outrage and Align.I do

like the Outrage helis, but I don't want a 600 size, I wanna get a better quality machine but

I don't wanna just dive in like I did with the blade 400 a while ago and be very disappointed.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If it were between nitro power plants, I would say Whiplash all the way. I'm really impressed with a lot of the design queues and the layout is the best I've seen on a nitro 90. Can't say I get a warm and fuzzy about the E version though.

After crashing and having to pay for parts on a Trex 700E I doubt I would get one of those. For pretty much the same price and quality, I think the Avant eAurora is a better option, and the the 7HV is even better (probably the best designed 700E I've seen to date, all biasing aside).

I agree that they probably should have made alternate ESC mounting and battery tray designs for the Whiplash. Other than that it's a pretty stellar looking machine and it will certainly live up to MA's legendary quality reputation (I've yet to see a poorly designed heli by them pretty much ever). I really like their sprag idea and the reduction of parts off the model. For eveyone who complains about prices, when was the last time you had a good crash on a T700E? They aint cheap either. It's the price you pay for the game you play.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default re

I have owned Outrage, Align, MS heli, MA and Eflite. You cannot compare the quality of MA to any of the others in my opinion. But you can also not compare them to the Cost of MA.

If you want quality and performance, then MA is the place to get it.
whittb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalesibowm View Post
I don't wanna just dive in like I did with the blade 400 a while ago and be very disappointed.
Well, put it this way, regardless of the 700 class model you choose, there really aren't any dirt-bag helis in that size, unlike the 450 class which is littered with junk. No matter how "good" or how "bad" they are, they're all very much badasses. too much money and liabiltiy to put out a crappy machine in that size, so rest assured that you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, you guys have done it now!! I'm now lean toward the 7hv. I like the belted tail, plus I seen a few compass models at a fly in this year and have to say the quality was top notch.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittb View Post
Interesting dilemma. I have a 700E now and 2 MA helis. I love MA and think they are may times better quality than the align but the parts prices on the Whiplash made me stay away from it. They are way over my budget for helis and I so not wish to own a heli that I am afraid to crash. Don’t buy what you cannot afford to fly. Flying = crashing = rebuilding.

I can tell you that my Furion 6 and my Fury 55 are the best helis I have ever owned and flown. The whiplash has a few design elements that I do not care for. I do not like the ESC placement, it is sandwiched between the battery pack tray and the motor mounts deep inside the heli. If you ever have and ESC go up, Your heli will be a complete loss. I have not seen an alternative ESC mount location yet. Second, the battery mounts are fixed and you need to remove them one at a time. This is a pain if you wish to turn your flights around quickly. None of this would stop me from buying the kit. It’s still a very well designed heli. None of them are perfect.

Best of luck with your decision.
jgalen0025 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all your wisdom guys and help. I will make my decision in a few weeks, I would

like to see what Outrage has going on with a 90e. I see there is one in the works as we

speak, the whiplash is very very nice, but I think the crash cost is a little outta reach for

me right now with my wife outta work.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ahem.....X7

that is all.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalesibowm View Post
I'm just trying to find more info on the two.
Then don't dive in until you have really looked around and seen what is out there.

By now I would think we could create a comparison matrix

Price, feature set, parts availablity, flight characteristics, typical crash cost

Feature set may include the following:

Price: $
Motor Counter bearing: Y/N
Helical/straight main gear: H/S
Number of main bearings: 2/3
Servo attachment layout: C LR vertical
Servo attachment mechanical: aluminum structure/ CF frame
TT/belted tail: T/B
Frame Single/Upper&Lower: S/ UL
RTF weight: 10lbs
Typical batteries needed: 12S 2x 4000mah
Crash cost ( typical parts and costs )
Number of distributors:
Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

read about how well the 7HV crashes, seems to be super tough
P.I.Engineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

In no particular order I think this covers most of the 700 class helis out there.

Henseleit Three Dee Rigid(TDR)
( coming February) SAB Goblin
Mikado Logo 600 SE
Minature Aircraft(MA) Whiplash 90E
Gaui X7
Synergy E7
Compass 7HV
Align 700E
Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Raptor 90 G4

All large,fast,kick-*** helis.Pick your poison.
destinbeachman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Don't know why the Avants are skipped over a lot. They've been around for a while (about as long as the Trex 700's) and they're really good machines. I guess they're just not as popular as they used to be?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in