Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 600 Nitro vs electric

Hi Everyone,

Very new to the rc heli hobby but I've been practicing with a Blade Nano and Blade 230 s. I was just wondering if there is a considerable difference in the 600 size helicopters when it comes to power in comparison to an equivalent electric model? It seems everything has gone to electric and was just curious if the Nitro motors are able to keep up with the equivalent electrics. Or if there are considerable pros and cons either way.

Thanks

Mitch
Mitch Booth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mitch

this is one of those highly debated topics. Electrics have more power typically than nitro's. their are instances when nitro's are close to electric power. One of the big benefits to me on nitro is that I can get a 8-9 min flight on a 600 or 700 sized heli. I can land it fuel it back up and get it back in the air in a couple mins for another 8-9 min flight. Where as the same size heli on electric would be a 4-5 min flight.

another heavily debated topic is cost nitro vs batteries do a quick search or maybe someone will chime in

I own several nitro heli's and love them the sound smoke and smell is awesome. However sometimes its nice to plug in a battery and go fly.
600 or Bust! likes this.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have several 600 nitros and one 600 electric. The nitros are a TSA 600 and two Miniature Aircraft Fury 55's. All of them are running OS .55hz motors. The Fury's are both equipped with flybars while the TSA is FBL. There is a world of difference between these two models. The MA birds are really light weight and so have a really snappy feel to them. The TSA is a fair bit heavier and despite the tunability of the Vbar I'm running I can't get the same feel as my other ones which is okay for me as its a really nice stable ship. I'd like to experiment with a YS .60 engine in both someday as it's supposed to be the last word in .50 powered nitros.

All that said, neither of these two models can keep up with my 600 electric. Its a Kasama Dune. I'm nowhere close to being a great pilot but even with my limited sport flying skills I can tell the difference. Both types of helis are fun but the electric definitely out powers a nitro. This is just my opinion
jiminator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

jim

I have a YS 60 in a trex 600. I only have a couple of flights on it and its definitely a power house.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Lyco, its on the to-do list
Old 12-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Coming from a 230s, anything in the 600 class will have enough and awesome power.

I believe your decision should be based on different criteria. Do you have nitro or 2-stroke experience ? Do you fly at a field where there are people that can help with the engine setup and tuning?

The combination of the jump from the 230 to the 600 and the engine might turn out a very frustrating one.
Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2016, 06:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dawiev has some good advice their. Try and enlist some fellow nitro guys to help you get it all setup.

Coming from a 230 to a 600 sized bird can be very intimidating plus ad the sound and smoke. You may want to make a step to a 450-500 first then jump to nitro. Their is always the "pucker" factor when you that big a jump. However if you have the cash and desire their is an argument that bigger birds to fly easier.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys and I couldn't agree more!! I'm have all I can handle w this 230 to say the least! I'm going to try contacting two separate clubs today to see if they have any guys flying the nitro Helis. It seems everyone is strictly electric any more.

Mitch
Old 12-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Mitch, make no mistake, I have two gassers and two nitros in my fleet. Without them,, my motivation to fly would certainly be less! I don't discourage going nitro / gasser at all.

The easiest thing to do, is to spend somebody else's money. . .. so here goes :

The design, style and power of the modern-day 380 makes it much more of a keeper than the older 450s. Add an FBL with stabilisation & rescue and the longterm cost stays down too.

But it still doesn't make smoke or the right noise! ! Consider the Gaui NX4. Low cost build and shows up 2nd hand from time to time. Small enough to step up to from the 230, but enough presence for grin and fear factor. The small nitro is dead easy to tune and run, plus you can use the T10 gasser engine with no problems to fit.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with Dawiev. The nx4 is a perfect first nitro to start off with. If it had been available when I started flying it would have been my choice.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The most versatile heli is a Audacity Pantera 600mm heli. Start as a nitro 50 motor heli add in a 60 or even a .105 motor the drive train is beefy and can handle the added power from the box. I own 2 of these helis and have no regrets. A .105 motor Pantera swinging 600mm blades (get the quad blade head or change gearing) will give any electric 600mm heli a good run!

Electric conversions are also availiable for this heli either keeping the nitro clutch or without.

Add in the excellent personal service and parts support. I wonder if any brand can compete with their parts prices especially with this deal here:

http://www.promodeler.com/christmas-special.aspx

Remember crashes that will be terrible for carbon framed helis ($$), a fiber reinforced plastic framed Pantera heli has better chance to survive such a hit. It also comes with a flybar so no $$ FBL system needed till your ready for one.
Garland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawiev View Post
Hi Mitch, make no mistake, I have two gassers and two nitros in my fleet. Without them,, my motivation to fly would certainly be less! I don't discourage going nitro / gasser at all.

The easiest thing to do, is to spend somebody else's money. . .. so here goes :

The design, style and power of the modern-day 380 makes it much more of a keeper than the older 450s. Add an FBL with stabilisation & rescue and the longterm cost stays down too.

But it still doesn't make smoke or the right noise! ! Consider the Gaui NX4. Low cost build and shows up 2nd hand from time to time. Small enough to step up to from the 230, but enough presence for grin and fear factor. The small nitro is dead easy to tune and run, plus you can use the T10 gasser engine with no problems to fit.
What flybarless system, governor and motor would you recommend? I very well thinkthe Gaui NX4 could be my next bird!!!

Mitch
Old 12-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it's more the 4/5 min flight vs 12/15min on nitro. Plug n play with el vs set up nitro with fuel vs batt a bunch of variable come into play with nitro temps needles cleaning. Plus two cases of fuel vs two lipos get ten flight on a gallon. Vs 1/2k flights on a graphene lipo.
Trex_600n,Trex_500,MR25,MikadoLoGo5003D_KDE,CastleCreations,Ys,JR XG8,Sab Goblin 380/X_Nova/Bk_Servos, JR TagsMini//Sab Goblin 500Pulse Edition, Sab Goblin570Carbon_SABUSA_X_Nova_BkServos_KDE,RJX-Swash,JR-SPG-Tail/TagsMini_JRX-Bus.
JEEPWORLD2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

gaui nx4 with an os 37 get you about a 5 min flight
Old 12-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycokayaker View Post
gaui nx4 with an os 37 get you about a 5 min flight
Not at the headspeeds Mitch will be flying for some time to come.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Booth View Post
What flybarless system, governor and motor would you recommend? I very well thinkthe Gaui NX4 could be my next bird!!!Mitch
A bid like which car oil is the best ....

IMHO:
BD3SX : Can be had at a great price now. No BT. No governor. (Keep it simple at first, if you want and use v-curves. Add Gaui gov or external gov later) Best self-level, rescue. If you want to spend the money then the new Axon.
Spirit : Self-level, rescue only 2nd to above. BT & Wifi. Dead easy to setup and tune. Governor improved. Good price.
Brain/Ikon : Best governor. BT. Easy to setup and tune. SL & rescue (vibration resistance) improved, but still suspect on nitro and gasser in some cases. Fair price.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

mitch

if you are serious about an NX4 here is one for sale.

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t813740p1/

i would not pay the asking price. The heli previously was mine he bought it from me. I don't know its current shape but when I had it it flew AWESOME.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought OS discontinued making the 37.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastflyer20 View Post
I thought OS discontinued making the 37.
I believe its just not imported to the U.S. any more
RCJapan still lists them and from what I understand RCJ keeps no stock on hand
they order/pick it up as the orders come in

http://www.rcjapan.net/index.php?mai...oducts_id=2644
banshee rider is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

they just no longer import into the US any more for some reason

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in