Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spectum Dx6i or DX7

Hope this isn't a bad place to post this thread. I just bought a Trex 500ESP and I was wondering what the general concensus was on what Tx to use and maybe some suggestions on Rx. I am looking at a Spectrum DX6i which is currently more in my budget. But I am being told by some local heli freaks to skip it and just go straight to the DX7. They have me questioning my first choice and I just want to know if this is a good choice for such a sweet Choppa. Thanks for any input!
Ponchota is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are budget oriented, the DX6I will work for the sweet Choppa......If you really want a radio with added capability for down the road flying, the Futuba T8FG is my choice.....

Keep flying
alouellette is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location

If you're limiting your choices to those two radios, then the DX-7 for sure.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

No no, they just seemed to be one of the most popular. Spectrum that is. I have a Futaba 6EX and think it's a pain in the butt and would like to try something else that won't break the bank. Why do you think the DX7? Is the the DX6i bad or not suitable?
Old 10-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The DX 7 has been around for years and is a proven work horse. Sorta like the gy401. It just works. It has been discontinued however so you have to buy used.

The benefit of the DX 7 is additional channel and most like the "feel" better.

Out of the two, I vote DX 7.

With Spektrum, you have the advantage of bnf models which are popular. A lot of people at our field have gone to the DX8 and swear by it. Selling their DX 7's to fund the purchase. I like the feel of the JR radios better but they are more pricey.

I have not held the new DX7 DSMX so I can't comment but I won't sell my DSM 2 DX 7 until I quit flying or I have to.....lol!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, that was def. helpful. I'm fairly new to helis and didn't know the DX7 was discontinued.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 6 works fine on my 500ESP, but if you want another channel for down the road then spend the extra bux for the 7. The old 7 was made by JR, but the new one is Horizon so it may?? have the same feel as a 6. Maybe check the spektrum thread under electronics here on HF.

John
MiataJohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchota View Post
Thanks, that was def. helpful. I'm fairly new to helis and didn't know the DX7 was discontinued.
There is still a Spektrum 7-channel, it's the DX-7S now.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use a dx6i with my 500 and it works perfectly, I don't need an extra channel. And ar6200 rx.
meisjt23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was hoping some of you would say the dx6i was a good radio. It fits into my budget better at the moment. I'm not sure I understand why I would need the extra channel, I'm not planning on adding lights, landing gear or retractable turrets. But if the concensus is hold out for the dx7 because it is that much better of a tx then that is more than enough reason. Thanks for all your input, I'm doing my own research and your input helps alot.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX6i works just fine

hold, normal and sport ( ie just one throttle up position ) which is all i need.
If you think you might ever go to a nitro helo, then you will need a 7th channel.
mine works fine, so no need to drop 3 small on another tx ( I'll consume that in parts soon enough ;-)
T-rex 500FBL BeastX, I2 MRH & Swash, I2 boom support,( Bob's the Mahn ! ) DX7s. T-rex 550 I2 FBL head & boom support,KDE motor mount. CH-53E's 83-87. MCAS New River. FAA certified Airframe & Powerplant license holder since 1992
skered53 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

gday mate,
i started on my 500 with a dx6i and it was flawless and i had no issues with it,however the option came up on a run out dx7 that i couldnt ignore.the first time i used the dx7 i felt more connected to the heli and felt as though i knew exactly what it was going to do,ive got mates who swapped and said exatly the same thing.
dx7 gets my vote,plus the feel and quality just looks better.

stewart
Old 10-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I purchased the DX7 over DX6i because of the buttons vs the roller wheel.

Before the wheel on the DX6i was an issue and many complained about the tendency for it to break. (I think it was pushed too hard) I'm sure the issue has been resolved by Spektrum but if you buy used....you may want to be aware of the possibility.

I got the the DX7 because of the extra channel and it has no wheel..(buttons instead)

Like I said, I'm sure the issue has been resolved because the new TX all have the wheel feature.

Aloha
808Hanapaa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'd suggest the DX7 for a few reasons..

A. DX7 was actually a JR product, and is of superior quality to the DX6i which is a 'spectrum product'

B. DX7 will most likely feel MUCH better in your hands than the DX6i.. it is more comfortable, and has a much better feel..

C. If you change your mind, down the road (as did I) and decide to get a Nitro heli, you'll want the extra channel to run the governor..

D. You can get one used for less than 200.00..

You'll be really happy with the radio...

GD
Geardaddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My dx6i just developed a resetting/ power on power off failure in flight earlier today. It has had some weird quirky things in the past like the timer having a mind of its own, scroll wheel jumping around while scrolling and trim switches breaking. None of the small things bothered me but a 100 dollar plant today sucked. I'll never trust it again. So its actually gonna be more like a 400 dollar glitch
sharpblue4d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in