Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Large Scale Projects 790+

Large Scale Projects 790+ Large Scale Projects 790+ Discussion

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 11:55 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smile roban airwolf 800 build

Well finally got the clear coat on this greedy big bird, used almost a full quart. It has to sit for two days before buffing it out. Instead of looking like killer whale it more of a great white. I added two more bearings for the torque tube. Rotated the tail rotor drive gear to turn the tail rotor clockwise, used a longer 5mm shaft and added lower support bearing as well. Can't get in there with a camera. Going to replace my swash plate also, plus I want to find turnbuckles for finer adjustments I guess. I noticed that the top cover distorts when left off the fuselage too long. I setup the Castle esc with a soft start up but seems to me that the motor is straining to swing the blades, could be because I am only running a quarter of the required voltage to test it. Have already stuck a tail rotor blade in the ceiling. glad I wasn't standing behind it. I read that the microbeast may not handle the HV cyclic servos current demands. Say it isn't so.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0327[1].jpg
Views:	1563
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	504034

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0328[1].jpg
Views:	787
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	504035

Name:	DSCN0329[1].jpg
Views:	892
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	504036

Name:	DSCN0330[1].jpg
Views:	895
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	504037 cheers, Gary
mastrg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 07:35 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow Gary!! Looks gorgeous. Can I send you my fuse so you can paint it!?!?!

What exactly do you mean, you added a lower support bearing? I am not following where you added a bearing. Can you elaborate?

For turnbuckles, try lunsfordracing.com. I have used their 3mm turnbuckles on helis before. They will screw right into the Align plastic ball links. They have all different lengths.

Looks really good!!
ssmith512 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Gary, just noticed in your pics it looks like you cut out a big portion of the plywood floor. What was the reason for doing that? Just curious.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 04-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking Roban Airwolf 800 build

Thanks for the turnbuckle info, Steve. Will check into that. I tried to take a picture of what I meant, not very good through the frame shots.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0332[1].jpg
Views:	771
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	504113

Name:	DSCN0333[1].jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	504114 I used a 5mm shaft from Chinese clone 450, dropped the lower tail rotor gear down below the second bearing added nylon spacers where used to be then added another bearing block under the gear to support the end of the shaft. Now the tail rotor spins clockwise viewing from the left with the main rotor spinning ccw viewing from the top. Oh what is a good adhesive for installing windows, I can't tell what they used on the door glass. Thanks for the compliments, but bringing it back in to cure has my head spinning from the fumes Well back to work
Old 04-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I had somewhere to mount the FPV support equipment out of the way. Reminds me need to make a cover for it. Then modify the work stand to hold the entire heli
Old 04-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrg View Post
Thanks for the turnbuckle info, Steve. Will check into that. I tried to take a picture of what I meant, not very good through the frame shots.Attachment 504113

Attachment 504114 I used a 5mm shaft from Chinese clone 450, dropped the lower tail rotor gear down below the second bearing added nylon spacers where used to be then added another bearing block under the gear to support the end of the shaft. Now the tail rotor spins clockwise viewing from the left with the main rotor spinning ccw viewing from the top. Oh what is a good adhesive for installing windows, I can't tell what they used on the door glass. Thanks for the compliments, but bringing it back in to cure has my head spinning from the fumes Well back to work
Oh OK. I got it now.

Window glue - a glue called RC-56 is specially made for it. Most local hobby shops should have it or you can get it from Tower Hobbies. I have also used shoe goo or sometimes it is called plumbers goop, that you can get from the hardware store

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXR529&P=7

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servle...Fe87MgodQgcArA
Old 04-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So I had somewhere to mount the FPV support equipment out of the way. Reminds me need to make a cover for it. Then modify the work stand to hold the entire heli
FPV?!?!? On a Wolf!?!?!?! SAH-WEEEET!!!!!
Old 04-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

What are you guys planning on using for grease/lube on the metal bevel gears? I have never owned a model with metal gears so am looking for any and all info/advice.

Found this stuff but not sure if it is applicable to this application...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLYX6&P=7
Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith512 View Post
What are you guys planning on using for grease/lube on the metal bevel gears? I have never owned a model with metal gears so am looking for any and all info/advice.

Found this stuff but sure if it is applicable to this application...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLYX6&P=7
Semi truck fifth wheel grease, the pretty red stuff. I have a bunch of it all around the fifth wheel.

Seriously though, I will use black bearing grease for rc applications...
Velos 880/Sab Urukay, KSE, Carbon Speed/Mikado Uvular/RCA Blackshark/Chaos 500 Evo, 550, 600, 700/Trex 500, 600, 600 Pro, 700/Roban 470 Cobra, 700 Apache, Cobra, 429, Jayhawk, 800 Airwolf/TFM 800 Blue Thunder, Seahawk, Jayhawk/ DX8 DX18QQ
treotraveler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Post Roban airwolf 800 build

Question on tail gyro, if I am using gear for the retracts does the tail gyro gain lead move aux 2? Right now I have the DX7s but I will stepping up to a DX 18 later on.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Question on tail gyro, if I am using gear for the retracts does the tail gyro gain lead move aux 2? Right now I have the DX7s but I will stepping up to a DX 18 later on.
Depends on what 3 axis gyro you are using. If the gyro defaults the gear channel to gyro gain, you will need to set the radio up to use aux 2 for retracts and the gear switch...
Velos 880/Sab Urukay, KSE, Carbon Speed/Mikado Uvular/RCA Blackshark/Chaos 500 Evo, 550, 600, 700/Trex 500, 600, 600 Pro, 700/Roban 470 Cobra, 700 Apache, Cobra, 429, Jayhawk, 800 Airwolf/TFM 800 Blue Thunder, Seahawk, Jayhawk/ DX8 DX18QQ
treotraveler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh yeah going to use the microbeast for now and they do have tail gain going to gear channel. Thanks, Gary
Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default roban airwolf 800 build

Flight battery single 12s pack or 2 6s packs in series? How about blade balancers, I looked at the Thunder Tiger unit. I don't remember if it can handle such large blades. This heli is going to be a bear to find cog.

Name:	DSCN0336[1].jpg
Views:	2441
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	504656 Say no to lawn darts! Gary
Old 04-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Damn that paint job looks REALLY nice!

I will be using 2 6S 5000mAh packs in series.

Blade balancing:

I use an old trex 600 mainshaft to find the COG of each blade
Then I use a small scale to measure each blades weight
And finally I use a Dubro Tru-spin to balance the complete head and blades assembly all together.

Oh ya. Mine showed up about an hour ago!! Happy happy joy joy!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Beautiful! Hope its going to be flybarless!
Old 04-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Roban Airwolf 800 build

Congrats welcome to the pack Make sure you check every fastener for thread lock and tightness, treat it as trust no one but yourself. I think I will 6S to keep from having another charger plus power supply. Been out searching for 3 mm white leds for my landing lights, no luck guess I'll go online for them. Well enjoy I no I am
Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't stay up 3 days in a row like me still out of sorts with that. enjoy Gary
Old 04-29-2014, 02:49 AM   #58 (permalink)

I bought the trex 700 swashplate.. Jus found out the kit roban is CCW ( counter clockwise rotation)
Is this swashplate able to support an opposite direction of rotation?

My friend told me its dangerous and will open up..
keong is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 03:50 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is this the same friend that told you that 4 blade helis are harder to fly than 2 blade

I have never heard of a swashplate being directional, but you never know. The main differences with CCW vs CW is that it leans left instead of right, and it turns differently. I can't remember which is which, but one will tend to climb in a banked turn (say LH turn) and the other will climb in the opposite banked turn.

When switching directly from one to the other, it takes a couple of circuits to get the hang of it if you haven't flown it for a while. My Vario Long Ranger is CCW, and so will the new EC-145. I just run a standard Quick UK swash in it - never had a problem.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 04:24 AM   #60 (permalink)

haha..yes... he told me that too...

he said the swashplate will loosen because it supposed to turn CW... CCW means its opening up ( like a screw )...is dangerous... i got worried

anyone have this theory for a swashplate on CW vs CCW rotation ?

i never flown a CCW design heli before...i flying all CW heli for past 10 years
keong is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in